Training Report 3rd Dec

It was the ultimate frustration of missed shots, poor errors and the gloating by blues fans. Reckon a few of us lost it that day!
Thankfully North destroyed them a week later and we had 2000 to look forward to…but it was a terrible day!

2 Likes

I was just a little too young in 99 to understand therefore losing to the dogs in 2000 and then losing the 2001 GF was the ultimate heartbreak for me. The replay of that GF was on the other day and I stupidly turned on the start of it and could hear the anticipation from the Essendon crowd at the Punt Road end in the first 5 mins. Gives me the shivers and not in a good way! Even though I was in year 2 at the time I still shudder.

God, 2001 suuuucked.

I was backpacking in Europe at the time, and I’d spent all week following the injury news (after injury news, after injury news - Long and Wallis and Fletch and Hird and…) on the old bombertalk. Got to an internet cafe at 6am after a massive night on the Barcelona nightclub strip, started hitting refresh obsessively on the live scoreboard. Damn thing took MINUTES to load after each click on international 56.6k. No chance of a live broadcast, there was no Aussie pubs in Barcelona that i could tell, and certainly none open at 6 in the morning. Had to leave at half-time to get a connection, we were up on the scoreboard but it was feeling wobbly and dicey. Next update was many hours later when the one Aussie on the bus who owned a mobile phone got a text with the final scores. Such a massive let-down after the awesomeness that was 2000. :frowning:

10 Likes

Thanks CJohns! Any chance of a training report when you get some free time?

Was extremely hung-over at work (call-centre). Was listening in between taking calls. I was very abrupt to cunstomers, heart racing, head pounding. When we lost, I punched my cubicle a few times which silenced the call centre for about 4 seconds, and then went to sleep under my desk. Disgraceful but I didn’t care at that point. After they found me about 30 minutes later, under the desk groaning in my sleep (“give it off Wallis you pillock”!) I was sent home, but not fired. (Manager was my GF :smirk:)

2 Likes

I lost interest in Football after that 2001 grand final. My late teens & early 20’s, was when I lost all interest.

Wasn’t until I moved to Melbourne… that I got back into it & renewed my Membership…… And the club still hasn’t improved since the day I stopped giving a sh*t.

I think 96 p*ssed me off more than 99…… that flog Lockett push Fletcher over the fence, and we couldn’t get him back on the ground quick enough.

2 Likes

gee whiz - positive training thread has turned into a trip down misery lane

13 Likes

Club needs success badly

1990 grand final was the darkest day of all of them.

Nothing comes close for mine.

13 Likes

we need some Davey photos, STAT!

4 Likes

Feb 5th 2013.

2 Likes

I watched it at The Walkabout in Nottingham but I think I would rather have been where you were.
After travelling Europe I always said that the most beautiful women were in Barcelona.

“I’m shocked to be sitting here”

When it was announced on the news that an AFL club has been possibly dealing with peds I was like “please hope it’s not Essendon,please hope it’s not Essendon”

nek minute it was us and I was like FFS

2 Likes

Sorry i did not go today. Was updated by nackers on the phone who did attend.

2 Likes

GF loss pain goes away after a couple of months. I get reminded daily about the Saga from opposition team farkwitt supporters that want to get under my skin.

3 Likes

Well la de da, lucky you.

My cousin is the worst (Carlton supporter) always reminds me at family events calls us “essendrug” and “Hird the turd”

I have no comeback have to sit there and cop it

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Training report - Monday 6 December 2021

When you tell someone (Non Essendon supporter) for the first time that you support Essendon, what is the first thing they say?

For me it’s “see the bumbers fly down,down” or drugs saga

We have become a joke unfortunately