Training report Friday Jan 18

Very Melbourne conditions today.

Thunderstorms followed by sun followed by rain, all morning.

Just a few observations from me.

Hird - is a long way from what he might be but you can see some signs. His hands in tight, decision-making and left foot are all nice. His fitness is also good. I have no idea what he has done in last year but he keeps up and runs hard.

There was a one-on-one with Langford when the ground and ball were wet. I expected Langers to win but he didn’t, Hird broke even then I think a third bloke came in and cleared the ball.

I’ll try and link to a Hirdy vid I put on twitter.

Daniher - this guy is tracking superbly. There is no other way to put it. Was doing sideways movement drills then 100m sprints. Did a heap of running on rehab oval before moving to the main oval for first time I’ve seen this summer. He was in a group of five - Laverde, Stewart, Brown and McKernan - doing a kind of beep test. He finished last most of time but didn’t disgrace himself.

Then Joey went back to other oval for more running and some hard leading with Rutten his opponent. Was kicking the wet ball 50 metres.

Then a heap more running.

The guy is getting through consecutive tough sessions. Jack Viney running 8ks at training? Joe Daniher says hold my beer.

Quick one on Hurley. He was in a group with Ambrose, Zerk and Harts doing more beep type running.

Ambrose predictably won. But I read Hurley is hitting good levels with his running and it showed as he was pushing Ambrose. Zerk was good too.

Rehab group: Redman, Gleeson, Daniher, Begley, Hooker, Laverde. Fletcher too, he was only doing very slow short runs.

Not on track: McKenna.

Unseen: Saad.

PS: I was too far from where Merrett went down to offer anything. Others say it’s an ankle problem.

66 Likes

What happened to Zac?!?

We can’t even say which Merrett anymore…

2 Likes

Hird looks like Parish…

7 Likes

This is the 1st year for a long time that we have the depth to cover an Injury to one of our best mids.

2 Likes

Just this is worth its own thread.

2 Likes

Quality work Begbie - really appreciate the efforts mate, top stuff.

Awesome news about Daniher / shame about Zac.

4 Likes

i can’t concentrate now.

hold me.

4 Likes

There is no news anywhere on Merrett.

Going to move all of my Blitz Panic Investment dollars from JOEDAN to Merrett.

4 Likes

I think he will be fine :wink:

They need to contact the family.

RIP in Peace

1 Like

McKenna? The mystery continues. Will we know something before the season begins or continue to guess?

1 Like

@begbie makes good fist of a positive optimistic training post.

Blitz : nah mate, have some pessimism.

2 Likes

Hi all. Discovered your site late last year and love the training updates. Thx to everyone. Quick Question… a mate and I plan to head for a training session sometime soon but I notice the official training dates are next Monday and then not till Feb. I rang the club and they said there are more days but can’t guarantee the boys will be out on the deck. So looking for tips on best days to take a risk and drive the 1 hr journey? Say Mon, weds around 10am for example? We are thinking to go out next Weds. thx in advance for your reply!! :black_circle::red_circle:

3 Likes

ALL YOU PELICANS THAT LAUGHED AT HAWTHORN CAN EAT MY BALLS MATE

1 Like

Whats the club hinting at here ?
Darcy, a MID combining with Frang? Both in the midfield ?

6 Likes

Obviously you don’t mind if Pelicans eat your balls :joy::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I for 1 welcome our new Premature_Rookie_Ele Overlord that sticks out balls for pelicans to eat.
:wink::laughing::joy::joy::rofl:

1 Like

damn straight you do

1 Like