Training report - Monday 1 March 2021

The club is cursed

1 Like

Was only the first proper hit out of the preseason last Thurs

It wouldn’t be surprising that there were still some sore bodies, on what 4th day post game. Lighter session etc expected.

Similar happens in season with say a Friday night game and players still doing not much leading into coming up for main training on Wed.

New injuries at training today def not ideal though, albeit could just be knocks to sore spots already carrying. Hopefully anyway. None of the reports made them seem too serious.

4 Likes

Yep, bodies will always be sore after the first competitive hit out. You can do all the training possible but nothing can properly recreate the crash and bash on the bodies that an actual game brings

4 Likes

We don’t know that for sure.

3 Likes

To sum it up there is more chance of the golfer chic from the ads showing her form on the park than us playing a meaningful match against Geebong.

Heard it from Jake “Nostradamus” Carlisle
The club’s ■■■■■■! Maybe he knows a golfer chic?

They don’t have a Scully, Sicily, Wingard or Patton?

Let’s not forget that it was their first time game of full 20 mins plus time on quarters since early 2020

The last 10 years aint proof enough? :joy:

Cursed? Or historically poorly run so as a result the injuries/issues we do have impact us more than the well run clubs.

2 Likes

Why so much pessimism over a training session and a practice match. I really appreciated the training reports from @jackie mihocek and @nackers. Some good insights into the current status, although a bit speculative. If we face the season with realism, i.e. that we are building something great, then we know it will take time to develop the strength, fitness and cohesion of the younger players. My joys this season will come from seeing this progress, not just the win/losses and ladder positions. I want to see real progress which next year and the years after will produce a sustainable period in the premiership window. Good to hear that “the package” maybe ready to go in Round 1. So sad to see Hurley struggling and as Tim Watson said he may not make it on to the park this season. If so it’s time to really develop a future back line with Ridley, Zerk, Francis, Stewart, Cahill, Hind, Heppell, Redman, Brand, Reid and McBride - not a bad group. Forget keeping Hooker there, have him forward as we must develop that backline for the next 10 years. The forwards still need work and sad to hear that Jones may miss the Geelong game but more important to have him ready for Hawthorn.
In the training reports I see positives and not just the negatives (reality checks) and the realism will keep us going all year. Excessive optimism leads to excessive pessimism and life’s too short for that. It’s going to be a great year. Keep the training reports and match assessments coming - positives and negatives, but keep the realism going as well. Go Bombers!

28 Likes

I am treating this year as a rebuild. As long as we play the kids and continue to select in form players then i will all be a lot happier.

My summation from a long way away is that we have a reasonable coaching panel, time will tell.

Our fitness crew are doing things differently, hopefully for better outcomes. Let’s see how the list is round 1.

It’s good to see players being challenged to find their place eg LAV and Stewie playing back. We have some tremendous talent. I want to see this developed fully starting 2021.

I have the lid on. We will finish bottom 4. Let’s be realistic.

I want to see players having a go and the start of a brand of football that we can build on to be mid table next year and finals the year after. We will have some great moments, and some shockers in 2021. All part of the process of rebuilding.

I expect 6 to 8 players to be moved at the end of the year to continue the process of rebuild. That’s why getting games into kids is essential.

I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Been following Essendon long?

7 Likes

im kind of hoping jones niggle is minor and hes shown enough for a round 1 game but misses this week.

That might give us a chance to look at Josh Eyre against the cats.
or even Zach Reid

3 Likes

I think the medical staff have been a big reason why Waterman will be offered a contract.

Even if his form is poor, they will look to farm his thigh muscle for any grafting onto other players if injured.

Jones might be the first cab off the rank.

19 Likes

Well I’m glad about that. It hasn’t been mentioned before.

I don’t take much from the last quarter against FC though. The game was dead and buried at ¾ time. The last quarter was essentially junk time and we never got within 3 goals of them.

We have a billion talls, bryan, Eyre or the Irish bloke can have a crack

Bit of both

Still think we haven’t done enough to the fitness department only change we made was Murphy

Replace all the staff ie; doctors,physios,dietitions etc

Thanks mate

I welcome our new overlord super star hyped to the max messiah affectionately known as ■■■ (3 blocks).

2 Likes