Training Report - Monday 23rd January

I’m following him with interest. Has great potential to turn into one of those pesky small forwards that opposition teams don’t like.

He’s got some tricks.

We need one of these.

5 Likes

Ad Cox and Hayes and it’s a good group.

I cashed in on him with the Rising Star last year. Had $20 on him at $101 and cashed out for $455.

12 Likes

NAFAN BROWN SPORTSBET QUARTERTIME BREAK

Plus if you go through pics, Snell has the smartwatch on his left wrist, Guelfi has it strapped.

Snell looks like he’s fined down a fraction too, less meatball ish.

3 Likes

Agreed Laverde is an in between size but are you serious in suggesting we should have let him go? One of the few fierce competitors on the list who has consistently performed at or above the expected level in the last few years. We would sorely lack his aggression, tackling.etc in the backline.

14 Likes

I like Laverde and his competitiveness, but he has always seemed like an interim solution to me. I can’t see us ever achieving anything approaching greatness with Laverde as one of our starting defenders.
(And don’t get me started on Stewart.)

3 Likes

I think the point is that while Lav is great, he is undersized for a key position role. He’s more suited to a medium role, which Kelly is playing. He’s only playing key position because we have no other options while Hayes and Reid develop.

So short term he’s a loss, but in the longer term, he’s covered by what we already have

3 Likes

I reckon most if not every team would have a forward that I would want Laverde to be matched up against as our best option. He unfortunately has to match up against the bigger key forwards, which in time will be going to BZT, Reid and Hayes

The likes of: Heeney, Darling, Fritsch, Zurhar, Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe, etc are his ideal match ups

7 Likes

He’s an inch taller than Steven May who is Joe daniher’s daddy

9 Likes

Well, got to admit I assumed Zach would be taking on the captaincy this season. Not that standing back and offering quality advice is a clue either way. He’s a thinker and a great player and those can make great captains for sure.

But is it sounding like Heppell, allowed to properly prepare for a big season now wants the captaincy badly? Maybe he feels fitter than ever and BDB is simply watching where the cards fall on the track before making the call. Because for me its got to be Brad’s decision.

Hepp is only 30. Pendles went to 35 before handing the armband over this season.And I know hes not Pendlebury but if Heppell reboots, makes a wing his own and shows his old vigour and kicking we might not need to change skippers? He sounds like he’s ripping up the running and early work. Is that the view of our great track watchers? @CJohns @benfti @Maxx @Big_bodied_mid ?

For me I just want a captain that really wants it and energises the group. Seems like Hepp has made that a goal this season and got the message. … so if it works for the team and BDB then so be it. He is experienced and a valuable continuity option when so much has changed off and on the training ground. As long as he justifies a start.

2 Likes

If LAV left year then we would ahve got another second rounder as compo likely.
Could have got Brayden George or Keeler, or traded it into next year for future picks.
Maybe we keep Eyre instead, We would be annoyed with Reids injury more also.

LAV also was our chance to lure McKenna back.

But probably not on a heap and a good clubman

I think (due to injuries) he hasn’t got the mobility to play well on smaller opponents, and he’s short enough to present a problem on tall forwards. He’s limited in his disposal and distribution. He doesn’t contribute as an intercept marker. He’s purely lockdown.

As a result, I see him as only an interim solution, and if we could have got (say) a end-of-second compensation pick and Lav gone to a challenger in the trade period we’d all have been better off.

I don’t think Lav has the agility/mobility anymore to take those types.

There is not seriously a discussion going on right now about whether or not Laverde should be delisted :joy:

7 Likes

What’s Lav got to do got to do with it

12 Likes

“Now” ?

Has there been any suggestion that’s changed?

Attention training watchers, unless something goes horribly horribly wrong I’ll join you at the Hangar at around 9:30/10am. I’ll be wearing white shorts, a non-descript shirt and a cap, and will have a pair of binoculars cos that’s how I roll. Come say hi to Humbert.

Will basically be on new-kid watch: Davey, Davey, Munkara, Hayes, Wanga, Menzie, Montgomerie, Wied, Settlefield, Voss, Massimo.

24 Likes

Agree with ants on the above. Lav has done a good job, but he is an interim key back. He’s tough and does well to work his man out of a contest (how many time Joe whinge when he played on him?) but i think a number of times he has been wanting for size. I don’t think he has the agility for mid size guys either.

1 Like

Or the same height and 10kg lighter.

8 Likes

I think this is a bit tough on Lav.

Last year he had more defensive 1-on-1s than any of our defenders (4.4 per game vs 3.1 for Rids), but still managed to take 2.0 intercept marks per game (vs 2.2 for Rids), and have the most intercept possessions for the entire team (6.0 vs 5.8 for Rids).

19 Likes