Training report - Monday 8 February 2021

Anyone know how LJ is travelling? Has he been injured most of the previous season?

have you got any evidence of this? genuine question. everyone says it but ive never seen anything to suggest it. apologies if ive ever missed it, but it seems to me people are pigeon holing that as a excuse to why he left

Wasnā€™t there a quote from him at the time that he did what was best for himself and his family?

i.e. $$$$

Take it to the defectorā€™s, or Fark Carltonā€™s, thread.

6 Likes

Lachie J is going great. Last year he was recovering from a torn ACL so it was all recovery and strength. This year, he is doing most of the work but they pull him out occasionally and put him into the modified group, just to ease him in.

11 Likes

We gave the Saints a packet of chips for Hind so if can come in and cement a place in the best 22 then itā€™s been a solid deal for us, heā€™s 26 now and being a late starter we could possibly get 4-5 years out of him.

6 Likes

Saad was also a very very good lockdown.
But imo, Truck wanted to get away from the 2 running back model anyway. Most of the AFL were moving to the lock it in the forward line system between 2017 and 2019. Accordingly the small forwards locking it in ended up tagging and limiting Saad and McKenna.
imo we will see a big chnage to our game style rather than try to revert to the 2 running back model that doesnā€™t work any more anyway. Besides the players who could do it are gone.

Has the game been called off or something. No more reports.

2 Likes

Can we shoosh it up about Saad please? Iā€™m interested in what weā€™ve got, not what we donā€™t have.

50 Likes

weā€™ve been chipping it sideways for half a hour

16 Likes

Once the club realised there were training watchers there for proper match sim, they had a word to them

11 Likes

large wall

I think we need to cut our training watchers a little slack. Itā€™s very hard to see over the new wall they have installed along Melrose Drive.

6 Likes

9 Likes

Certainly we need to look into future. No point harping about the past.

2 Likes

indeed - all teams lose and gain players.

We need to move on and control the stuff we have control over.

4 Likes

I think we are oversimplifying things by suggesting that ā€œrunning attack from half backā€ was our gameplan. I think Saad & McKenna were fast and good ball carriers and so if say Hurley or Hooker had the ball, they could look to those guys as designated ball carriers who might break the lines due to their speed/evasiveness.

But often they (hurley/Hooker in this case) would pass it to a midfielder running past or they would chip it backwards, or weā€™d have a quick succession of handballs before hitting up someone just outside our Defensive 50. Gleeson and Redman would also take on their opponents regularly but with less success.

Basically Iā€™m saying it wasnā€™t a gameplan, it was just an option, just like it was for any other team, and we didnā€™t really use it all that often, and it wasnā€™t that successful, so I donā€™t think the change in personnel will have much affect on our gameplan or level of success.

3 Likes

Taking action to deal with the wind. I expect our skills at Docklands to improve 1000 fold. Good to see the club are doing #whateverittakes

2 Likes

Tend to agree about this ā€œattack from HBā€ was our game plan.

Watching our games, it came about because of our poor ability to win clearances/contested ball/midfield contests resulting in the ball continually being bombarded into our D50 repeatedly.

We just happened to have two very unique players in Saad and McKenna who could not only defend and win/halve contests but knew how to run and re-bound in their own way. This resulted in a rapid transition meaning our opponents didnā€™t get a chance to set up to defend higher up the ground as Saad/McKenna emerged rapidly with the ball.

Interestingly, Saad struggled one 1:1 though when taken to the goal square: it happened early against Stephenson a couple of Anzac Days ago and it happened early 2019 in our big win against the Lions when Cameron played deep forward in Q1 and continually beat Saad 1:1 but couldnā€™t kick straight (inflating our Q1 lead). Saad was good on contested ground balls but so much in the air.

2 Likes

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y

Y