Training report - Monday 8 February 2021

I thought it was Jayden Laverde backwards. Forgot about Johnson.

@MattPocock18 is this a proper full ground match Sim? Or are they having set plays?

Sure Saad and McKenna are a loss. But the attack off half back game plan that was built around them will need to change.

Richmond won 3 premierships without players like them, playing the Worsfold game plan. We did not even win 1 final.

2 Likes

Saad is a loss. He was a good lock down defender when asked to do so.

2 Likes

See his p*** weak excuse as to why he left in the heraldsun yesterday? Bloke is a sook when he has to lockdown

6 Likes

Saad did not want to be a pure lockdown defender any more, so he wanted out.

1 Like

But that’s strange re saad as he knows as everyone does that defenders need to defend first - beat their opponent to the ball - and then they can go for a gallop.
That reasoning might be true as to why he left but it has never made sense. He may feel that Truck will have us playing a dour defensive gamestyle all over and he thinks teague will be more attacking.
That might be more about his preference for team game style rather than his individual role.

2 Likes

Glass half full view:

We had one of the best, if not the best, running half backs in the league. We decided to change our gameplan to not utilise that skill set. Saad decided he’d perform better in a team that utilised his talents.

We got a good trade outcome for a player we probably wouldn’t utilise to his max potential. For the more shut down role we started to get Saad to perform, it is easier to replace. Long term this should be a positive for us.

24 Likes

I suspect the albeit exciting dual running back game style creates disturbances in a systematic game plan, I will be surprised if it ever wins a premiership.

1 Like

And now we have Reid, who I’m pretty excited about.

I’ve moved on from Saad

16 Likes

I enjoyed Saad and Conor, but I also got sick of opposing teams setting up good structures behind the ball then turning us over, with 2/3rds of our half back line way out of position, leaving us wide open on the counter.

10 Likes

So it seems Snelling kicked all of the goal for the game.

28 Likes

first goal wins

7 Likes

Strong defensive game plan.

3 Likes

the thread started with such promise

7 Likes

I reckon people on here who say this are putting words in his mouth that he didn’t utter. He doesn’t say in that article that he didn’t like so called “lock down” defending. He said he likes an attacking style. They are not mutually exclusive. You can play close and tight defensively when the ball is either in the opposition’s possession or in dispute, and then attack when we get possession. It isn’t one or the other.
And, IMO, when Saad says he likes to attack, he means run with the ball and bounce.
From our preseason it seems like we are discouraging this, and likely did so under Rutten last season. And that, IMO, is the reason for Saad being disgruntled. Not the need to play tight on his opponent.

6 Likes

Im kind of at the point now that whilst I loved saad, when he had his run and carry it was good but he also used to just bomb it long into our fwd line. I don’t think I saw him much ever hit a forward leading. I look at it now saying we would probably be better off without that. Then when the ball turned over we would be out numbered when it came back. His lockdown on players was very very good its a shame he couldn’t adjust and do both and be accountable

4 Likes

There has been multiple people mention they had heard through people close to him or involved with him that he did not like playing a lockdown role and had enough of if

This is why McKenna was a vastly superior HB to Saad - he always looked to pass the ball to a player in a better position; and would then run 3steps, bounce and look up again. and he had excellent kicking skills to boot.

Saad’s aim was not pass the ball initially, it was to dodge/zig zag his next, potential tackling opponent. So, when he got clear of one he would actually put his head down and bounce the ball once/twice before looking up and observing who was about to tackle him next and could he evade this potential tackler. It was never about looking to give the ball off. It was only when he knew couldn’t evade the tackler that he would put his head down and kick the ball as far as he could without really looking to kick it to a teammates advantage.

22 Likes

Is there any indication on who we might pick up from the boys training?

As I said, you can “lock down” defensively and still run and carry when we get the ball. Did Saad ever actually say, or even imply, he didn’t want to play tight defence? Maybe in private. Or maybe those close to him, or involved with him, were referring to his desire to run and carry, and were misinterpreted, just like his words in the HS article have been turned into something they don’t say.

1 Like