Training report Monday February 4

Not much happened at the Hangar today. The main squad didn’t appear on the ovals, only the guys in rehab.
And their session was short.

Daniher, Smith and Gleeson were doing ball movement drills. One would mark kick from a coach/fitness guy and then the players would spread and kick ball amongst themselves.

All were running well. Gleeson looks close to full pace. He’s certainly moving freely.

Hooker was doing sprints. His sprinting doesn’t look like sprinting (ie running in over sized gumboots) but he must have been going at least 95pc. Looks like he will be ready for JLT number one.

McNeice was doing laps.

On the main oval Zaka and Stewart did laps briefly.

44 Likes

Watching the Superbowl

9 Likes

thats what i was thinking too

Most likely scenario, so why not others in rehab group having time off to watch the SB?

Thanks for the report Begbie. There’s always a chance when going out there on spec. that its not full on training.
Especially when the SuperBowl is on.

1 Like

They can only watch the half time show.

3 Likes

i think they missed training because the date listed in the club’s email was the wrong format.

21 Likes

Training should be on now - if we subject them to Maroon 5 we won’t be able to field a JLT team due to a bleeding-from-the-ears epidemic spreading through the entire club.

4 Likes

Training Report: February 4 2019

Bit of a different report today, as the bulk of the players conducted a few drills indoors out of view, and there was apparently some kind of game happening in the US that everyone was interested in.

Overcast morning – quite chilly, and typically Melbourne bi-polar. Only a handful of players out – at around 0930. Hepp and Mutch did a few handball drills on the main oval for about half an hour. And that’s all that happened on Oval1.

On Oval2, we had the Modified Group. Hooksey ran laps, timed, and a few argy-bargy drills with a trainer. Looks like he’s building up his legs again, and also performed some agility manoeuvres.

Good news, folks! Redman is back running. So good to see. Not sprinting, but running unhesitant in straight lines, with boots. Rapt for the kid. Dea and McNiece put in a few km’s around the track, and Joey went through about 30mins of pure goal-kicking practice with a trainer, pausing regularly to discuss technique and method. He did this last week with Skippy, also.

Hepp and Mutch went back inside, and Bags, Francis and Zaka emerged to run laps around Oval2. I’ve watched Francis closely for a while now and the changes in his physique are documented. Today I particularly noticed that he is running much ‘lighter’ than he used to. There’s a spring to his step, and it looks less laboured. After a number of timed laps, he went back in, leaving Zaka and Bags running together for a while. According to Bags, married life is no different to living in sin.

The action today was solely on O2. Gleeson, Smith and Joey were the last players on any ground, performing ball movement paths to goal drills and at times, using full sprints. Smith is as grumpy and edgy as ever, getting upset with every mistake he made. He is also very instructive to the others during training. He has a nice rapport going with McNiece. Gleeks has such good, soft marking hands. Running very well, also.

Well, that’s it for today. Nice to spend more time focussing on just a few players, and also catching up with @nackers and @jackie_mihocek and I think a new member of BomberBlitz…name to be determined :slight_smile:

61 Likes

so much to like about this

3 Likes

This must be the “authorised” training report. The date is far less confusing than that obsessive compulsive reverse format.

nah - both fell short

@Deckham’s didn’t name the day and @Begbie’s is missing the year

put them together and we have it (order of month, year and day notwithstanding)

2 Likes

Good news about Redman. Welcome back young man.

9 Likes

Is Joey having long range shots from say, 50?

Last week, yes.
This week, they were all from around 30-40m, at all angles.

7 Likes

Awesome. This is probably his weakness.

2 Likes

Success rate?

50/50

1 Like

thank god he’s improving

25 Likes

This would be natural progression for Redman. I think Crow said he was ready to go on the Alter-G. Obviously that has gone well, now he can build up his running.

I was a skeptic on Redman, but he impressed me enormously last year. Here’s hoping to a speedy recovery, because he’s out of contract at season’s end.

3 Likes