Training report Monday February 4

I think a lot of us were in the “Not sure” camp in regards to Redman, But the way he played at AFL level when he got his chance was pretty awesome, Composure with ball in hand and a real resolve about his game, Ticked so many boxes in such a short amount of time at the level.

Riddles and Redders for the next decade please.

8 Likes

Redman I knew could play but having watched plenty of VFL I wasn’t as sold on Ridley until he played seniors.

Some just play better at the next level and Riddles looks like one of them.

1 Like

Think he will be offered another contract regardless. They definatly rate him

3 Likes

Taking training off to watch the Super Bowl…How does that help us in winning the GF this year??

I’d say getting the team together to watch one of the biggest sporting events on the planet might give them a little motivation?

2 Likes

pity it was an absolute dud of a game…

but im sure there are lessons to be learned from that too!

2 Likes

2000 Grand Final was a dud after the first five minutes. Bring it on.

5 Likes

i was a neutral for the SB though not a Pats fan!

also we kicked a decent score that day… it would be like winning with an AFLW score…

Also show them how important defence is to success.

1 Like

How does an AFL player get inspired by a game where they wear excessive padding, helmets and play a minute before having a rest! #yankfluff

1 Like

Yeah how could they possibly draw inspiration from watching Tom Brady win his 6th Super Bowl?

3 Likes

Thanks Deckham and Begbie, that pretty much sums it up from today, not much happening.

The only thing I would add is what Jackie mentioned about Joe’s goal kicking practice before I got there.

He said that Joe was kicking every shot from the right forward pocket and missing everything to the right from the left forward pocket (There was a medium strength wind blowing left to right). He then went and stood 2 metres the the right of the right hand post and put his hands in the air as he was lining up a shot from the left pocket and it would have landed in his hands if the net wasn’t there. So a bit of work to do yet.

Great to finally meet Deckham and catch up with Jackie again and the possible new blitzer, we had a really good chat for about an hour or so about most players, how we’re training and our chances for this year. Needless to say we’re all pretty optimistic, and particularly bullish about Francis and McGrath.

16 Likes

Was anybody actually coaching him about what to do? Straightening the run-in, getting the ball release right, etc?

If not, then all he was doing was practising his existing problems.

1 Like

How many of them has he won since we last won a final?

I didn’t see, it was before I got there.

@Deckham or @jackie_mihocek may be able to tell you

Hirdy needs to pop down to training and teach Joe how to kick a fade

Yep, pretty sure I mentioned this in the report. Same as last week.
Fairly detailed discussion on his kicks. They are working on it.

Left to right wind, left pocket, left footer that hooks.
Why bother practicing that? It puts more doubt in his mind and will start stabbing it or guiding it. Seriously that’s idiotic.

1 Like

I’d rather he practise his right foot snap on those circumstances

5 Likes

The good news is Jackie said he got everything from the opposite pocket, just tell him to lead there!

3 Likes