Training report - Saturday 16 January 2021

Highlight of match sim is a bloke sitting in a car.

It’s going to be a long season.

Nah, I’m happy that Hirdy appears well. Good to see him supporting his boys.

11 Likes

Wasn’t he there to support The Langford? If not…

2 Likes

That’s safer for Hirdy than being on his bike

7 Likes

Bloke sitting in a car was one of the blitz highlights from many years ago - a poster alleged they were doing a reserves match report from their car - I believe it was @fogdog who called them out for it being BS.

6 Likes

“What number is Prismall wearing?”

11 Likes

Was his hair still luscious?

5 Likes

hahahahaha thats great

Getting serious now

I honestly think training in the wind non stop is why our skills are so ■■■■■.

I cant see how players could get continuity in their kicking skills when its consistently blowing a gale out there.

8 Likes

Can Jim come out of retirement and play alongside his son?

2 Likes

Could not agree more.

As an Essendon player if you miss a target at training, you can always make an excuse for the wind. Should be no excuses to ensure the highest training standards possible

How are you meant to learn at training whether you are correctly placing the ball to a player on the lead

3 Likes

Me too.

5 Likes

You’re more of a looker than I’ve given you credit for in the past.

5 Likes

I’ll be honest, that’s not me. I don’t look anywhere near as good as that guy!

4 Likes

I agree.

Similarly, It’s good to train in the wet sometimes, but since we usually play in dry conditions, we need to practice out dry weather game plan.

1 Like

Tony Buhagiar has let himself go

3 Likes

I thought it was Tony Antrobus

4 Likes

Some thoughts from on this mornings session, apologies if it doesn’t meet the high standards of our other fantastic reports but I will give it my best.

First of all was the conditions. If the strong wind that was present this morning is typical of what a winter training session is normally like then I’m not all that surprised that our skills seem to be weaker than other sides. It doesn’t let up at all and must make it very difficult for the players to consistently hit targets. Overall I thought the skills were reasonable this morning considering the conditions but it’s certainly not a strength.

Ok, on to the bad just to get it out of the way. Stringer did a lot of spectating throughout and then finished off the session with a bit of bike work. Laverde emerged from the hangar maybe halfway through the session and was a spectator for the remainder. As far as I’m aware neither has joined into a training session yet so based on that they would be odds on for missing round 1. Stranger things have happened though I guess.

Perkins, Ambrose and McBride did mostly bike work along with somebody I assume is NLM’s boy. McBride joined into some of the match sim stuff late.

On the far oval Hepp, Guelfi, Johnson and Zacka were doing a lot of running. In the Zackas case a lot of one on one with the trainer. He looked to be battling at stages but I’m comfortable that he will catch up pretty quick. Johnson and Guelfi looked good in their running. Based on what I could tell they don’t look that far off joining into the skills sessions. Hepp I had concerns about based on the video I saw yesterday but to be honest I thought he looked pretty good. When he’s just strolling around he looks to be a little proppy but when he gets into a jog he actually looks pretty good. I think round 1 is touch and go, but I wouldn’t be ruling him out either.

The only other ones of note that didn’t do much were Eyre and Reid. Both mostly did a lot of running and very little else. Having witnessed Reid first hand now he looks like a very smooth mover for such a big lad. I am going to go early based on very little evidence and say he’s got a big future. He just looks like somebody that has a bit of a presence and I really think his skillset is perfect for the modern game. Really looking forward to his development in the VFL this year.

Now onto the main group. Of the running drills and basic skills drills in the first half of the session the usual suspects stood out. Langers, Shiel, McGrath, Hird and Cahill stood out to me. There was a few others to surprise but these guys looked to be travelling pretty well I thought. Another that looks in his best shape so far to me is Francis. The hard work looks to be finally paying off and I hope that in translate’s into a big year for him.

Just a few notes on some of the players I kept an eye on in the main train drills and match simulation:

Draper - In the match simulation work in the second half of the session Drapers marking really stood out. He was regularly used as the down the line target and took a lot of really strong marks. Looks set to take another step this year.

Cahill - Haven’t previously been a huge fan but this kid is giving himself every opportunity. Just a really diligent trainer. Nice skills and very fit.

Ham - Another I haven’t been a big fan of but in the match sim stuff he looked really clean. Clean in the ground balls and skills neat and tidy like usual.

Stewart - In the match sim he lined up a bit down back and then later up forward. Moving really well and provides a presence. Expect him to have a good year.

McGrath - Does everything right as you would expect. In the stoppage work he looked really good.

Bryan - Completed the session and looks a real prospect to me. He’s still very light but he moves very well and has some nice skills. In the match sim he was competing against Phillips in the ruck and did ok. Needs to continue to add size but he is one to watch over the next couple of seasons.

I will finish off with my boy Langford - All the early running sessions Langers was as you would expect leading or up the front and looks to be in the best shape of his career. I thought he looked too big a couple of seasons ago but looked better last year after he dropped a couple of kegs. He looks to be a little trimmer again this year and now looks really nimble and it looks to be doing his confidence a world of good. You can tell by watching him that he now knows he belongs. He’s clearly a leader out there, and is starting to have a real influence with the young group. I echo the thoughts of previous training reports, he looks ready for a very special year. I personally think at certain stages of this year there will be discussion about whether he’s our best player or not.

136 Likes

wonderful report thanks Mike.

I though Hooker and Heppell both looked in good nick in their photos yesterday.

19 Likes

This can’t be the same ‘poor kick’ Nik Cox :smirk:

26 Likes

Thanks KM. Hird seems to certainly have a strong fitness base. I know he’s probably still a long shot but do you think he’s any chance of seeing any time in the 1’s this year?

Same question to @nackers and @CJohns

1 Like