Training report - Saturday 16 January 2021

I can see this ‘wind theory’ anxiety collecting momentum.

Dogs train at the Whitten Oval- very windswept arena. Won a premiership not long ago.

13 Likes

So we have some injuries?

the curse continues

Any comments on Caldwell @Killer_Mike?

Really deflating you’re hear about Stringer. More alarm bells are starting to ring like last year’s preseason with so many of our senior players not being involved in full training so deep into preseason

It’s the first time I have had a look at him so I’m not sure if he will play or even what role they have earmarked for him.

He’s small though so he better have some wheels or high level skill.

I think they will give him a run though just to get him in the history books.

1 Like

WSPHU.

2 Likes

Maybe I overplayed the injury report but I think we look in pretty good shape. Stringer and Lav aside I think everyone else will be ready early in the season if not round 1.

2 Likes

I was kinda expecting this classic, maybe with roles reversed, and KM with the pinpoint delivery!

50 seconds in for the impatient & yes I know it was a set up

7 Likes

Sorry, yes Caldwell.

I like him. I saw somebody compare him to Cotchin the other day but I think he’s more like Shiel. He’s very quick and has a nice blend of inside and out.

Will play plenty this year.

Best tan at the club if it matters.

22 Likes

BIG COX

4 Likes

That’s good then.

My point was less about players being available round 1, but more about how little actual training and match sim they were able to get coming into round 1 because of their injuries.

Like Stringer’s “borderline flying” comments were made by him in relation to him saying it was the first preseason in years where he was able to participate in most sessions. It just seems to be a recurring theme of our preseasons to have key players joining the main group late in the preseason, or not joining at all (ala Hepp)

Agree on that point but this is where I hope the club has learnt. In the past we bring them in underdone and leave them in until they break down again. We need to trust in the backups and youth and give them opportunities.

Squad rotation is a critical part of our development if we are ever going to be a strong team again.

13 Likes

I won’t freak out about stringer until we see a few sessions in a row where he’s limited.

We tend to manage players during preseason, very few players train 100% of the sessions. Be it a rest, focus on gym work, or managing a niggle.

I don’t want to panic only for him to be in full training on Monday.

5 Likes

Not myself. Progressing however

1 Like

Unless I’m mistaken, Stringer hasn’t participated in a full training session yet right? There’s “managing” him, but what’s he done so far this preseason that has required him to be managed?

Our first preseason game is now in a month. It’s not a great look for me to have our most important player not in a single major session a month out from go time.

Hope I’m wrong and he’s into it on Monday, but the alarm bells are starting to ring here

Thanks KM.

Who was Draper marking against?

Harrison “Junior” Jones, how did he look today?

Any indication who our small forward and small defenders are going to be?

What is Langfords best position?

1 Like

Big bodied mid.

I cant think of one preseason where everybody was fully training. ever year we have players either managing their loads in rehab or injured It’s bloody frustrating.

imo just replacing Crow wasn’t enough the entire fitness department need a clean out replaced with new people

1 Like

How often do you watch the news in December and there’s a fluff piece for Collingwood showing Pendels, Sidebottom and co all showing up day one of preseason and participating in full ground drills?

Meanwhile we’ve got half our senior players in rehab through to February

3 Likes

And then seeing the likes of Richmond having another fully fit list. like I said still think our fitness department is not up to scratch even tho we replaced the main bloke

We supposedly have the best facilities in the league and yet we still continue to have a hand full of players during this time of year hardly participating

3 Likes

Draper was mostly up against Phillips, Bryan or a host of medium types. They were simulating full ground movement from defence and along the wing where Draper was the main target. In an AFL game scenario he will be very difficult to spoil because of his athleticism. He could be setting himself for a really strong year.

Didn’t see much of Jones at all to be honest. I’m not sure I actually saw him at all but thats not to say he wasn’t there.

Small forward I would say Cahill is firmly in mind. Best I have seen of him today. Looks in ripper shape and very neat skills. He’s the type that isn’t shy either. Walla looks a little out of shape at this stage. He completed training though and his kicking skills were elite as usual. I he should be right to go.

Hind was the pick of the small defenders for mine. I have always been a fan and today he looked really good. His pace is elite as we know, and his kicking was very good in the conditions. Redman looked solid today also. Outside that I’m not sure who else will put their hand up. Guelfi was mostly doing laps and Johnson also. Small defenders we lack depth as we all know.

Langford played a mix of inside and outside today but they were heavily rotating all the mids in the simulation. It’s on the outside though that Langers looked gold. I think he will play a little bit more inside this year and then capitalise on his strengths which are his outside running and strength in the air. I see him as a real impact player that will do well wherever he’s needed.

29 Likes