Training Thursday 12/6/14

Training in cool overcast conditions at Tullamarine.

Absent Watson, Gleeson.

There was a different dynamic at training today with Watson’s absence as he is very vocal and almost a coach in his own right at these sessions.

The atmosphere today was spirited and very vocal. e.g. At a paired contested marking drill between Hurley and Carlisle they actually started with a lengthy standing wrestle before Carlisle attempted to mark and Hurley to strip the ball. The contest ended with players cheering and clapping which was pretty much the tone today. Pears’ fans will be pleased to hear he participated in full training today his opponent in the triple contested marking drill being Steinberg which indicates they still have thoughts of turning him into a forward.p

Fletcher did the first part of training then ran laps for the rest. He looks okay to me and my guess is that they wanted to guard against him rolling his ankle again in the match play.

The majority of training was on the McCracken oval and the early sessions were involved in honing skills especially kicking and quick ball movement in order to counter Melbourne’s possession game. The idea was to thread the way through with precise kicking. When Kav hand balled instead of kicking he was chided by Zaharakis “that was hopeless Kav.” There was great emphasis in this drill on wheeling quickly and making quick decisions. Bomber emphasised that a kick wasn’t a good kick when the recipient had to wait for the ball. “That’s not acceptable make him come onto the ball.” In my opinion its pleasing to see an emphasis on kicking the ball rather than avoiding responsibility by laying off a meaningless hand pass.

Cale Hooker plays number one hundred on Sunday which I’m sure everyone would agree is a great effort. Cale is arguably our most improved player and I was interested to see that he has changed his running gait in the sprints incorporating a high knee action - watch for it on Sunday. Actually it reminded me of Ronnie Andrews but without his high elbow lift. Someone told me there was a big article on him in the Sun today and that he has a new running coach.

If he can improve his speed that would be great.

There was a lot of goal kicking practice today, set shots and snap shots and the two main groups of players were rotated through the Clarke Oval for intensive kicking practice. It seems that there has been a change of thinking amongst the fitness staff when goal kicking practice was limited for fear of quad and hamstring injuries.

Bomber came back to the handball versus kicking issue later in the session berating the players with “why is it going sh…house? People are hand balling to people under pressure - kick it!” Hard to disagree with that.

I haven’t said much about Raynor this year - he is making steady progress as a link player and kicked a lovely curling goal at the airport end today and might be a chance next year with a bit more experience under his belt.

However the player who stood out for me today was Zac Merrett. We all know about his quality disposal but what impressed me today was his ability to weave through traffic and deliver precisely to Ryder on the lead. Gleeson weaves and baulked very well but in a different way to Zac who has a low centre of gravity and crouches low when running in packs (which I have been told was how Dickie Reynolds used to run) but with eyes raised looking ahead for the opening for his rapier like disposal. I suggest he might get some more time in the middle with Watson out. Remember “Twins” with Danny DiVito and Arnold Schartzenegger well we have our rising star twins with Joe Daniher and Zac Merrett.

Trained well, atmosphere sans Watson very upbeat so they should give a good account of themselves against Melbourne.

I especially love where you have taken the Zac Merrett comparisons.

You are a star Jackie. Do you coach any teams !!  If not you should.

thanks, bombers focus on kicking instead of handball is great i think. i think we have a tendancy to waiste inside 50s because of our habit of handballing after a mark around 60 -70 out to a guy running by under pressure who doesn't have enough time to balance. it also throws out the fwds if they are practising leading patterns based around the guy who marked kicking. If the guy who take the marks goes back quick and kicks of a step it is unpressured disposal. our deep fwds should be anticpating this and moving for him towards his preferred kicking zone

Gleeson weaves and baulked very well but in a different way to Zac who has a low centre of gravity and crouches low when running in packs (which I have been told was how Dickie Reynolds used to run)

Turn it up JM, you weren't told that, you saw it with your own eyes.
Thanks again for these reports! Love them.

Bomber came back to the handball versus kicking issue later in the session berating the players with "why is it going sh..house? People are hand balling to people under pressure - kick it!" Hard to disagree with that.

This is a bit conerning, hopefully it improved later in the training session.

Essendon should employ you for Match Reports this is honestly a ton better than anything they come up with on the website

What I take from this training report is that Zac Merrett will be a Triple Brownlow Medalist.

LID OFF!!!

Great stuff JM, loved the report. Did J.Merrett and Winderlich train fully?

Great to hear that Z. Merrett continues to stand out. Losing Crameri was always going to hurt, but the positive is that we seem to have found a gem in the process.

Did Goddard train?

Glad to see Pears back out there   :) ( but I know a lot of you don't rate him)

Great report as usual. Dave's VFL pics and JM's  reports, dynamite combo!!

Did Goddard train?

There was a phot of him on the Essendon twitter account training and JM didn't list him as an absentee.

Did Goddard train?

Why wouldn't he?

[quote name=“nickers” post=“223211” timestamp=“1402542270”]Great stuff JM, loved the report. Did J.Merrett and Winderlich train fully?

Yes and Goddard too.

Every so often , a small rock  is found. Wash off the dirt , and theres a diamond in the rough.  Send it to the cutters and polish it up and you have a sparkling jewel.  In recent times we had Hird,  then Watson.  Is Zac the next diamond for the EFC? 

However the player who stood out for me today was Zac Merrett. We all know about his quality disposal but what impressed me today was his ability to weave through traffic and deliver precisely to Ryder on the lead. .....................................Zac who has a low centre of gravity and crouches low when running in packs (which I have been told was how Dickie Reynolds used to run) but with eyes raised looking ahead for the opening for his rapier like disposal. 

Brilliant as always JM.

Happy to hear Pears is back. Interesting whether he plays FF or FB in the 2’s.

Did Goddard train?

Why wouldn't he?

There was an earlier post by someone suggesting he wouldn't play this week. 

Good to hear this is likely untrue.

Gleeson weaves and baulked very well but in a different way to Zac who has a low centre of gravity and crouches low when running in packs (which I have been told was how Dickie Reynolds used to run)

Turn it up JM, you weren't told that, you saw it with your own eyes.
Thanks again for these reports! Love them.

Bomber came back to the handball versus kicking issue later in the session berating the players with "why is it going sh..house? People are hand balling to people under pressure - kick it!" Hard to disagree with that.

This is a bit conerning, hopefully it improved later in the training session.

Thanx JM,  confirms a change of game plan.  The "in the box" section of the hangar included Bomber saying "kick forward"  "look forward"   "kick forward.................."

Seems like they are dispensing with the backwards switch which was supposed to  open up the forward line in a flood situation.  Now we will be   going for fast movement into the forward line,  Now Joe is taking contested marks, we have a target.

[quote name=“chris_64” post=“223225” timestamp=“1402543179”]

Every so often , a small rock is found. Wash off the dirt , and theres a diamond in the rough. Send it to the cutters and polish it up and you have a sparkling jewel. In recent times we had Hird, then Watson. Is Zac the next diamond for the EFC?

[quote]

Depends on whether you count top 30 in a draft as rough.

Personally I don’t I think we just drafted very well for our position.

I fkg love zac merrett. LEAVE HIM IN.

Sounds like Carlisle will be back forward with hurley returning.