Training - Thursday 16/01/2020

No unlisted players trained today, or have for a while.

Nigel Lockyer ?(not sure of surname) was down before Christmas but apparently hurt his ankle and may be back in February.

3 Likes

Unfortunately it didn’t look minor. Hoping 6-8 weeks and not an ACL

Has Hibberd done his knee before?

Who tackled Hibberd?

Once or twice?
knee reconstruction in 2014.
injured again in 2016 at North but not acl…knee cap popped out and then hurt again a few weeks later.

Heppell looking fat and lazy

42 Likes

We think at was Mutch

Injury curse strikes again just can’t catch a break the club.

Would give an arm or a leg for this team to have a charmed run with injuries like Brisbane last year

Hopefully it’s not an ACL but knowing our luck it will be.

Pro bono? Or would you charge em?

Also interested to know the answer.

9 Likes

They can have them but in return they need to win a flag.

1 Like

You said or. So if Essendon are happy with just the arm then I have a proposition.

7 Likes

Checked out training. A few observations to add to others:

• Rutten is really loud with a super deep and husky voice. Seems more hands on than woosha.
  • Sheil seemed the best trainer to me, intense and was really killing it in the centre bounce simulation type stuff. Parish also impressive.
  • Snelling I think will play a lot this year, I like that he is calm with ball in hand and he hits low and accurate passes and thinks through situations well.
  • Phillips is a big unit and pretty defined, looks like he would be really powerful, also looks more mobile than belly.
  • They tend to start a drill and finish it before half the players have even touched the ball some times, I’ve thought this in previous years though, questioning what was even the point.
  • They did a few drills of taking it from deep defence to the forward line, with no defence other than a few coaches in green shirts applying minimal fake pressure. Ambrose was good with this and hits his kicks flatter now, as well as saad as usual, hurley seemed to still have the issue of slowing down the play in D50 before moving the ball along, rutten had a word to him about this. I found this drill a little bit disappointing though, if you can’t even hit a chain of passes with no opposition, without the ball hitting the ground, what hope do you have in a match.
  • Heppel was initially running laps, looks completely different, looks quicker with the shaved head.
  • The new fitness couch murphy seems a bit more vocal and hands on.
  • The kicking for goal practice was terrible early, laverde and hibberd in particular missing easy shots, but it all got better later on surprisingly after the long runs (for the whole group).
  • Hibberd impressive in centre bounce clearance practice till he got injured.
  • Zaharakis was running back and forth on the other field a fair bit.
  • Merrett was doing a shitload of running was really puffing, also saw him mark and kick at one point so can’t be too far off.
60 Likes

So pre season training has been pretty meh so far with no signs of any improvement? Hope I’m wrong but I’m expecting another lackluster season.

Maybe, if he intends to kick long to a pack on the wing, there simply must be one of our talls at the ball drop. It takes time for the ruckman to get into position. If thats the case, surely he needs to have a short option available.

Thanks for the reports guys.

I kind of expect us to miss out on finals this year, too many of our best players struggling with injuries.

I think we are relying on too many guys too step up.

To be a threat we need Joey, Hooker, Fanta, Smith, Heppel all in good form playing and training. Not needing rests every couple of weeks or being nursed during the week.

1 Like

Looks like hepp already has

No doubt trying to teach him to run hard both ways. Nice.

7 Likes