Training Thursday 17/7/14

Training in sunny, windy, cold conditions at Tullamarine.

Absent Bellchambers, Ryder, Hibberd.

The mood today was very upbeat as you would expect following the win against Collingwood and no individual appeared happier than the Tullamarine

Fox Herr Bomber who bestrode the McCracken Oval marshalling his forces with a grin wider than Luna Park. Is there a fieldmarshall’s baton in his knapsack or will Reichsmarshall Hird take over the next campaign?

Watson, Hamms and Gleeson ran laps. Jobe was moving well at three quarter pace and appears to be progressing well.

Justin Crow was the fill in ruck man today with the absence of Ryder and Bellchambers while Steve Allesio worked with Joe Daniher on contested body on body marking. There were two phases to this. Firstly a side by side wrestle where Joe was practising timing the flight of the ball to push his opponent in the chest at the critical moment to create the unimpressed space to mark. Secondly marking from behind with a high ball coming in where Joe from behind would hold out his opponent with his body the at the critical moment step back to mark leaving his opponent under the ball. Obviously the success of this will be dependant on building up his physical strength but his technique is being developed now and is an example of individual player development which goes on all the time.

Many of the drills today had the consistent theme of using handball to break free into the central corridor then moving the ball quickly to leads with precise kicking. In the stoppage scrimmages Bomber constantly urged the players to use sideways movement and directional change to free themselves up and get the ball moving into the corridor.

Today Bomber was full of praise: “talks better”, “fantastic last time” and finally an exuberant “Yeah!!!” With arms raised to the heavens after a chain of play downfield resulted in a goal. when Steinberg kicked a miracle goal from the pocket it was “are you ■■■■■■■■ me Steiny?” Followed by a debate as to whether it was a goal or a point.l

Perhaps a good example of the structure and ball movement that Bomber is striving for is a drill which he has modestly called “The Bomber Drill”. A group of fifteen players forming two teams would have the ball thrown into play. Starting from about sixty metres out from goal the attacking team would have to handball until they had carried the ball forward to a line of blue cones before they were allowed to kick for goal or to pass. To simulate pressure they had to get in their shot at goal by the time the coach had counted down ten seconds. The ball was turned over if the the handballer or receiver was standing still when executing or receiving. It’s a pretty good drill to get quick forward movement of the ball and to avoid negative backwards, merry go round handball that we all hate.

“I’ll give you a tip don’t go backwards or sideways or you’ll kill the drill” and when one player transgressed a new word entered the language “drill f.cker”.

Within the drill players were looked to handball inwards to the corridor rather than the boundary line.

Bomber’s Bonhomie couldn’t be contained when Melksham gaoled.

“I’m thinking about not allowing that.”

“Why”

“I dunno.”

Bomber spends a lot of time talking to Melksham in the breaks of matches - I don’t know what they talk about but the banter today suggests that he is being encouraged rather than berrated.

They trained very well today, really coming together in terms of following the game plan. Confidence is high so there is every reason to expect them to defeat Footscray on Sunday.

Awesome report Jackie! Thanks.

Looks like Hibberd will miss again :frowning:

Wonder what’s up with Paddy though?

thanks, brilliant as always

No Hibbo or Ryder. Hmmmmmmm...........

Great report once again, in depth, love it.

Thanks so much jackie. That was a seriously good report (as they all are). But that one stood out. Loved it. Captures what they are doing and especially what the coaches want them to do.

Lump in the throat stuff to read that sort of enthusiasm by all and sundry.  Sounds like they are having fun as well - wins tend to help.

Great report as usual Jackie.  What's up with Ryder and Hibberd missing?

I’ve been waiting for this all week!!

Awesome work!

Where’s Ryder?

ryder related blitz meltdown in 3,2,1......

You can only hope that Ryder is being "rested" to freshen him up.  He's had by far his most consistent year, but he's also carried a huge load in Bellchambers' absence.

Bomber really vocal today, looks like the team is in good spirits following the last few weeks. Browne and Kommer spotted in the gym on the bikes. Hmm thought I saw Pig out there today… Will upload pics once I get home

Sounds glorious. Morale is up. We should smash the Dogs.

Wonderfully enthusiastic report. 

Their having a crack at the cup, you can sense it.

I'm throwing a couple of bucks on the Bombers for premiers.

Love it Jackie, love it.

Should almost be in the lid off thread. Momentum will be up if we beat the dogs. Thx Jackie!

I love these posts. Thanks JM. :slight_smile:

Thanks Jackie!

BONZA

In Jackie We Trust!!  Well done buddy.

You can only hope that Ryder is being "rested" to freshen him up.  He's had by far his most consistent year, but he's also carried a huge load in Bellchambers' absence.

Meanwhile, doubts have emerged about whether Bellchambers is carrying any loads at all.

Great report as usual. I had a little cheer when I saw it up.

Meanwhile, doubts have emerged about whether Bellchambers is carrying any loads at all.

Who would go to training if you could go home