Training Thursday 20/815

Training at Tullamarine in cool, cloudy conditions. A strong north wind blowing straight down the ground made the tops of the goal posts sway several feet like the masts of anchored yachts in a strong swell.

Today I’m primarily concerned with trying to convey the post Hird atmosphere while Karma Bomber wants to comment on how he feels we should view Hird’s departure.

The atmosphere not unexpectedly was flat. A smaller than usual crowd of about forty faithful gathered outside the cafeteria evenly split between the sexes but with no young children which is unusual. John and Harry the two officials who handle security were also absent it being correctly conceded that no spies would be trying to steal our game plan today.

Mathew Egan, the coach for the interregnum, had stated that he wanted the players to get out and enjoy playing footy again and to this end Myers and Winderlich took some of the Essendon drills wearing Bomber beanies. It was very low key the players basically going through the motions although a bright spot was seeing Hurley with a heavily strapped knee moving well. There was a bit more enthusiasm during the practice match but as there were only about twenty six players on the McCracken Oval you can imagine that it wasn’t a high pressure workout.

It was interesting to see Mathew Lloyd spending time in deep conversation with Jobe. I was told at the start of the season that he was to confine himself solely to goal kicking techniques. If this information is correct it wasn’t the case today as he was there for the entire session and involved himself in leading and marking drills as well.

Tiffany says it will take a lot of time and begin with small steps - looking at day two of the rebuild I think she is right there is a long way to go. Let’s all get behind the new coaches and players in 2016 and return our club to it’s rightful position.

Ok. This is from me - Karmabomber. Having taken a deep breath and considered the level of anger and associated knee jerk responses on Blitz to Hirdy’s departure, I thought it may be useful to remind Blitzers of Hirdy’s parting words about his undying love for the Essendon FC. If you genuinely want to show your support for him, the best way is to continue to follow the Club and remain a member. The only way you could hurt him any more would be to walk away. It won’t help.

Pics to follow later this afternoon.

Myers and Winderlich were training in the green vests to ensure that the other players made sure to limit contact.
Carlisle was given a blue vest with a white emblem so that the other players made sure to belt the ■■■■.

Was going to mention a few things, but I think BWAS has covered it.

I will ad this, just as an afterthought:

Going out to training today was good for me in the sense that you get to see the players doing their thing, as well as seeing them as people. Whilst as Jackie mentioned, it wasn’t a high intensity session and didn’t instil a hell of a lot of confidence for this week - I honestly don’t know which way it will go - nonetheless it has actually made me feel a little better than I had for a while. If you get the chance to head out in the next few weeks, I recommend it. After all the turmoil of the last week, let alone everything else, it was very grounding. Was just good to see Hocking engage a couple of fans, and Demps come up afterwards and have a chat and say Gday to Hurls and a few others on the way out.

The place is still standing.

Thanks Zimmer.
I’ve been to one training session last year when Hird was first allowed back at the club but haven’t been back since due to work commitments.
I was hoping to get there today to see how the players are going, but couldn’t find the time.

Hopefully I can make it next week.

Sooo, I'm tipping fletch won't get a farewell home game?

Fletch didn’t even train today and was in civvies. Hard to see him playing next against the Tigers which is our last home game.

Sooo, I’m tipping fletch won’t get a farewell home game?

I'm confused with Chapman. Surely, given the fact he has been injured for weeks and seems miles off being selected, why is he persisting with training? VFL team finals? You would think he'd just wrap it up and retire. Fletcher and Winderlich also. Guys still fit and playing in other teams have already called it quits, so not sure what we are doing.

I’ve been wondering this for months.

All retired players say how quick a journey it was and to enjoy every minute you can. Why wouldn’t you? You’ve got plenty of time not to soon enough!

I'm confused with Chapman. Surely, given the fact he has been injured for weeks and seems miles off being selected, why is he persisting with training? VFL team finals? You would think he'd just wrap it up and retire. Fletcher and Winderlich also. Guys still fit and playing in other teams have already called it quits, so not sure what we are doing.

I’ve been wondering this for months.

Can people stop equating not being a member to withdrawing all support for the players and club? frankly its pathetic.

Stopping membership is not good for the club either since the money goes directly to the club. Less money means more reliant on AFL handouts which is a hell of a lot worse.

If you want to show dissatisfaction with the board, vote them out, again another good reason to keep membership since you get the vote.

Good point bomber001. Barnzy I wasn’t suggesting that if you’re not a member you are not a supporter, but for those who ARE already members, withdrawing next year only hurts our Club.

you can only vote out 2 at a time. you can’t dump the board at the upcoming agm.

Thanks to kb, Jackie, BWAS, Zimmer and co. Was going to head out myself but I was too sad.

They're still being paid to play, why wouldn't they keep rocking up??

Probably told no retirements allowed this week. Imagine the questions if they’d happened the day after Hird was put out to pasture?

Thanks for the training reports everyone and the photos are A+ again.

I’m confused with Chapman. Surely, given the fact he has been injured for weeks and seems miles off being selected, why is he persisting with training?
VFL team finals?
You would think he’d just wrap it up and retire. Fletcher and Winderlich also. Guys still fit and playing in other teams have already called it quits, so not sure what we are doing.

Can people stop equating not being a member to withdrawing all support for the players and club? frankly its pathetic.

Stopping membership is not good for the club either since the money goes directly to the club. Less money means more reliant on AFL handouts which is a hell of a lot worse.

If you want to show dissatisfaction with the board, vote them out, again another good reason to keep membership since you get the vote.

Good point bomber001. Barnzy I wasn’t suggesting that if you’re not a member you are not a supporter, but for those who ARE already members, withdrawing next year only hurts our Club.

…and finally

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
“Yes Smack, I know I’ve been wrong before, but I really think you’ll get a trip to the Gold Coast.”

“Yes Shaun, we know you can do the extraordinary. Just do it so your teammates have some idea what’s happening!”

Laverde. Destined to be a regular midfielder in 2016.

Yes Matty. You must have plenty on your mind. Good luck.

Bagsy! Thanks for giving 100% every week. We are lucky to have you.

No wonder he hasn’t signed yet, has anybody told Jake you have to put the ink on paper, not to his forearm?

…and these

“So where to from here I wonder?”

Are we about to see the back of Chappy?

“Ok Melky, you’re coming with me.” “But, but, but…where are we going?”

Tag team tackling!

“Now Jake, have you made your mind up about 2016 yet?”

…and now the photos

Heath refuels while Myers learns a bit about coaching.

Lloydy having a serious look at proceedings.

Hooksy was, well, Hooksy…trained like he plays…with effort.

Bass: “Matty said we should have fun guys so Simon says hands on head…ok Chappy, you’re out!”

The Langford just keeps on learning.

Was going to mention a few things, but I think BWAS has covered it.

I will ad this, just as an afterthought:

Going out to training today was good for me in the sense that you get to see the players doing their thing, as well as seeing them as people. Whilst as Jackie mentioned, it wasn’t a high intensity session and didn’t instil a hell of a lot of confidence for this week - I honestly don’t know which way it will go - nonetheless it has actually made me feel a little better than I had for a while. If you get the chance to head out in the next few weeks, I recommend it. After all the turmoil of the last week, let alone everything else, it was very grounding. Was just good to see Hocking engage a couple of fans, and Demps come up afterwards and have a chat and say Gday to Hurls and a few others on the way out.

The place is still standing.

Good post Zimmer.

It felt to me the small group of fans watching were quieter & flatter than the players…and it was the players that picked up the morale of the fans and not the other way around.

I’m too embarrassed to say something to the players. Not cause of what happened though and i’m probably too busy taking photos.