Training Thursday 27/2/14

Training in cool breezy conditions at Tullamarine.

Training was very subdued today. Bomber was absent and there was little talk between the players.

The senior team had a light session on the Clarke Oval for about an hour and a half. The emphasis was on skills not contested work with the admonition “Everything you do do properly.”

Players paired off and the emphasis was on moving back quickly to speed up taking your kick. The actual instruction was asking them to kick off one backward step but this was largely disobeyed as players took several steps to get balanced. I’m inclined to agree with them the kick off a single backward step is difficult to do and often goes astray And should be more of any emergency measure.

Similarly when the drill changed to pick up the ball off the ground and pass it quickly players found they needed several steps to get properly balanced. However there is no argument with the need to move the ball on quickly from a mark so the idea behind the drill was sound…

Players then moved further apart to mark passes with their arms straight out. Good to practise this but it does require very accurate kicking and the players who got it wrong mainly kicked too high.

I was pleased to see players practising leading and passing. Again the emphasis was on moving back quickly from the mark and the leading player usually began his lead at the point when the kicker had moved back his maximum distance before moving forward to pass.

There was practise bringing the ball into the forward line where Joe, Hardingham and Steinberg were the three talks opposed to Fletcher, Hooker and Hurley. I think the idea was to spread the leads and get one on one contests at one point Joe being asked “how many times did you have to compete against four opponents?” Players bringing the ball down field had to be patient and pin point opponents. All of this was good but I suppose the weakness is that there was no integration between the tall sand the smells.

The remaining players trained on the McCracken Oval and it was pleasing to see Melksham and Dempsey train strongly. Perhaps we will see them in Saturday’s VFL game. I think that is to be played here at 9am but I’m not sure. Can anyone advise on this?

great to hear some good news on the injury front re: demps and melk.

thanks again for your efforts

Local paper says 1pm. Guess someone should check!

Great report, as usual. This point had me worried, though.

Players bringing the ball down field had to be patient and pin point opponents. All of this was good but I suppose the weakness is that there was no integration between the tall sand the smells.

Great to hear Dempsey and Melksham nearly ready.

No Carlisle?

Thanks JM

For the love of God don’t play Dempsey in a VFL game.

No Carlisle?

I don't comment on injuries but the Carlisle situation is nothing to worry about.

Was myers training in full with the main group Jackie?

Based on Tuesday night's performance I suggest that JM's training reports are all fiction and he has played a clever on going prank on us all. Well done sir - but we are awake to it now.

Great news, thanks for that once again Jackie. Loving your work

Does anyone know where the scratch match with the VFL is going to be played? Is it at HPC?

Was Edwards traiing fully JM? Loving your reports.

Lid back off

No Carlisle?

Let's just say he's gaining some wisdom by losing some wisdom.

VFL practice match is at Tulla.

Cheers JM, great news re Melksham and Dempsey. Did Hams and Dalgleish train today?

Yes

Yes

I am surprised he hasnt been played yet.

Glad to hear they were practicing marking with arms outstretched. Too many spoils from behind on Tuesday night when our guys were trying to take a chest mark with their opponent body on body.

Essendon FC ‏@EssendonFC 1m

Duo @JakeMelksham_17 + David Myers will return this weekend via an @EssendonVFL practice match

Based on Tuesday night's performance I suggest that JM's training reports are all fiction and he has played a clever on going prank on us all. Well done sir - but we are awake to it now.

I have already "unliked" all my previous "likes". If that doesn't teach him a lesson, I don't know what will.