Training Thursday 30th Jan 2020

Its pretty clear that the new coaching setup will require close cooperation between Jordan and Cara.
Its an entirely new setup. I think it should pay dividends.
In the past we had the midfield coaches and the forward coach and in the last 5 years our best results coincided with peak Daniher and Skippy in 2017. But come 2019 with a new forward line coach, the connection was missing all year.

Trying to win clearances must have been a major objective, but what to do when you get the clearance? That is where Cara comes in !!!

4 Likes

Are you suggesting that dropping it long and high on to Tippa’s head, isn’t the right way to use the ball going inside 50? :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Did Irv come back out?

Popped his head out but no further training. I’m guessing it’s left calf or knee, definitely nothing major.

3 Likes

Merrett, pretty much full training. Looked real good and was kicking darts in a pretty heavy wind .

30 Likes

That all sounds great except for the taking up smoking part

13 Likes

Cutler fades into the background very easily but I was impressed with his kicking. He hasn’t met essington just yet.

12 Likes

Great read guys.

2 Likes

super excited about the shrinking modified group

2 Likes

Maybe the staff had some idea what they were doing with individual programs to get the squad peaking at the right time after all?

5 Likes

Read first line. Hit “like”

Read third line. Rescinded the like.

3 Likes

nackers replying …

4 Likes

Was Connor there?.. or Conor? (Edit thanks)

8 weeks until the start of the season… you’d f*cking hope so.

1 Like

14 Likes

No.

Conor may have been though. :wink:

1 Like

Full ground sim for 2 x 15-20 min spread sessions.
15v15 (4 fwd v 5 def).
All plays start from wing/flank.
Cara in total control and I’d say having instant impact.
6 less players, the heat, wind and possibly altered mindset and or intensity may had an effect but the ball movement was very good and wide. Defence was actually getting beat by offence which I haven’t seen since 2017. Again this may have been effected but the other noticeable thing was structure of players quite bunched within a kick of the footy both down the line and horizontal. However it didn’t look to congested it was just owning space and going one on one. Defence got punished when they attempted 2 on 1 against the ball carrier, the spare always found it.

Despite McGrath’s interview last week when he said we would maintain the “Essendon way” when asked about game plan I left today with the impression we will look very much like Richmond. It may not be intentional to play like another team but because of Rutten and Cara’s philosophies I feel they’ll be a lot of similarities.

59 Likes

So mainly about ball movement, then did we get a preview of TBell vs Phillips?
They will have to sort that out at some stage.

I take it the ball carrier and the loose man worked well together so the ball carrier spotted and delivered the ball correctly to the loose man. It’s how it should work if you can generate the loose man.

3 Likes

We can all talk about playing the Richmond way but until we are ferocious, super fit and apply unrelenting forward pressure… the game plan won’t work for us

6 Likes