Training Tuesday 18/3/14

Training in mild conditions at Tullamarine.

This is the last major open training session before the first match on Friday night. I came hoping for a sharp,sparkling, enthusiastic session but this did not eventuate and I suspect that the coach will be disappointed if they play like they trained today. However let me be positive - they may be saving their best for the game and we must bear in mind the overall strategy of a slower start to the season but a much stronger finish.

Training began with Bomber giving a press conference which he does with grace offering tantalising rid bits and adroitly sidestepping some questions without appearing evasive.

A number of his comments were of interest:

- his coaching is not that much different to Hird and the emphasis with the players is on HOW and WHY we play a certain game plan. This sounds simple but it has been the purpose of the endless "teaching" we have seen in the preseason.

- the emphasis with Paddy is to get consistency into his game and he feels that there are signs this is happening.

- Fletcher is remarkable and could play another season to reach 400 games provided his "head is right". Fletch loves footy and I don't see this being an issue for him.

- for those interested in selection Hibberd was described as Ok and Winderlich probably round two. I thought Dempsey trained well today and was combining well with Fletcher in the practice match.

Training began on the Clarke (Etihad size) Oval. Perhaps this is a little one per center for Friday night. I had heard reports that this oval is harder than the McCracken Oval and when I asked Bomber he agreed. This oval was established later and was sown rather than turfed hence it has a harder surface at present. It will be used as the Community Oval in the future.

I think that injuries aside the players have a new level of fitness and will run out games (and hopefully the season) we'll. North plays a bit like Richmond with last quarter fade outs which may be the ■■■■■ in their armour that we exploit.

Of the new players Edwards kicked a striking goal off the outside of his boot which shows his talent and Gleeson's pace over five yards will be an asset on Friday.

The session finished with goal kicking which was pretty sloppy but in fairness there was an element of winding down and relaxation which is understandable after an intense twelve week block. Carlisle who is an excellent mark on the back line and in packs seems to be having some difficulty marking on the lead with an opponent behind him and it is significant that he hasn't scored many pre season goals in this manner. Something to work on.

Hooker, Baguley and Hurley practised punching the ball away instead of marking and Hooker in particular was directing his punches very well through the goals or to the side - a skill at which Fletcher is a master.

My next report will be after the season has begun - the players and coaches have worked hard and I'm sure everyone on Blitz wishes them we'll.

Great report, thanks JM.

I think that injuries aside the players have a new level of fitness and will run out games (and hopefully the season) we'll. North plays a bit like Richmond with last quarter fade outs which may be the ***** in their armour that we exploit.

Swear filter has gone ape.

Many thanks for the report, and all your work over the preseason, JM.

JM you are legend for the informative training posts - highlight of the day.

In your opinion, after watching training all summer:

a) Which of Gleason, Z. Merrett & Ashby will debut on Friday & why?  Bomber seems to think all 3 have a bright future.

b) Which player has improved the most from the start of pre-season until now?

JM - Very insightful comments about Carlisle.
His positional switch with Hurley will, I fear, be a lose/lose result for Essendon.

Whoo hoo its nearly time. Thanks jackie.

Thank god pre-season is over. I was getting sick of JM constantly spamming us with detailed, informative training updates...

If only the media reported like JM. Presented facts, then when opinion was expressed, began with ‘I think…’

Such a contrast. They of the media, don’t think and blur their bias with something that may or may not have happened.

Very interesting and informative reports for those of us who cannot get to training. Many thanks.

Really appreciate your reports over the pre-season, jackie. Hopefully Carlisle finds his groove as a forward this weekend; I'm pretty sure he hasn't taken a mark inside 50 during either of his pre-season games (GC & Richmond) and all of his goals have been via crumbs...it's almost as though Hurley is still playing up there...

On another note, I was surprised not to see Edwards feature in the NAB challenge. Any insights as to what the coaches want him to work on?

Good to hear that Dempsey is coming along and that Winderlich is being given an extra week as a precaution more than anything else (well, that and they probably don't want two blokes coming back from hamstring injuries paying in the same game).

Oh and whilst I'm expecting him to be named, this little gem caught my eye :P

Gleeson's pace over five yards will be an asset on Friday.

I hope we debut zerrett AND gleeson

This is the last major open training session before the first match on Friday night. I came hoping for a sharp,sparkling, enthusiastic session but this did not eventuate and I suspect that the coach will be disappointed if they play like they trained today. However let me be positive - they may be saving their best for the game and we must bear in mind the overall strategy of a slower start to the season but a much stronger finish.

A strong finish counts for nothing if you don't make the finals.

Lets start even slower, like comatosed, so we can finish really strong.

Jackie I just wanted to say thank you for all the pre season reports you have written up selflessly for blitz, If I ever see you at the game I'll buy you a drink for your efforts!

Jackie I just wanted to say thank you for all the pre season reports you have written up selflessly for blitz, If I ever see you at the game I'll buy you a drink for your efforts!

CONCUR. Highlight of the off season....

Always hanging out for these reports.

Thanks for the report.

Do they normally announce kids debuting today, or wait until tomorrow night when the team squad is listed.

Tanking at the start of the season?

Very interesting. You could be on to something.

Or not.

A strong finish counts for nothing if you don't make the finals.

Or if your better half isn't present. :huh:

Thanks Jackie for all the reports this pre season ,and give Tiffany a big hug from all blitzers.

Well going by our pre-season, we probably can't start any slower. Though I imagine the players will surprise me by this on Friday night.

The best footy coach I ever had emphasised that you play how you train, and I agree.

Lid on.

Now to battle the ticketmaster website and get a seat.