Training Tuesday 25/3/14

Training in mild conditions at Tullamarine.

The day started with Bomber's press conference and he deflected questions about Hird with grace and humour.

"Is it the best thing from your perspective for the football club that he's coming back?"  Bomber answered to the effect that he would be back without directly commenting on whether he thought it was the best thing so you get the idea of his skill in dealing with the media.  His attitude to the Hawthorn game was cautiously optimistic and he indicated that Winderlich, who did full training today, would be available for selection.

Training took place on the McCracken Oval while Bellchambers jogged  at half pace and did thirty metre kicks on the Clarke Oval. He was alone today as Dalgleish joined in full training.

It is important to try and convey to you the atmosphere at training today - I thought it was serious, upbeat and full of determination so expect them to have a real crack against Hawthorn.

The main session was very technical in nature as they paid scrupulous attention to implementing the game plan and its ball movement.  I won't give away the nuances of what they were trying to achieve but basically they were looking for

- play on and quick ball movement at all times.

- this was to be accomplished by making decisions on the turn and with great emphasis on the players who didn't have the ball loudly and clearly instructing their teamates what to do.

-  emphasis was placed on bringing the ball back into the corridor rather than running it the length of the ground around the boundary then delivering well into the forward line.  One of the coaches emphasized that one on one or two players deep were good times to kick to a contest.

At one stage when a player had the ball in the middle of the ground many of the players rushed back towards the goals but Bomber stopped and berated them telling them that they should come up and take time away from the player with the ball by pressuring him rather than conceding the kick.

I was pleased to hear at one stage "F...ing get at him don't corral him!" which has been a weakness of our defensive play in the past.

Players were encouraged to spread e.g. Budda was told to get away from Chappy and the players were told to play on and be confident that people will be in the right spot.

When the ball is being kicked in "f...ing find your man and stop watching the ball."

Great emphasis is being placed on not being static at stoppages with Zaka being the go to man as often as not and overlap being encouraged.

Thurlow kicked a long bomb goal and Bomber was beside himself with excitement  "Go Bombers!!!" he screamed at them and he was pleased to see another long goal from Joe shortly afterwards.

I hope this conveys the atmosphere - expect a good performance on Friday night.

(Saturday's VFL practice match against Richmond at Tullamarine starts at 11 am on Saturday.)

Fantastic report. Thanks very much.

Now this is the reports we love to hear

Thanks once again JM!

Thanks JM. Another great report.

Love this "F...ing get at him don't corral him!" Drove me mad last year watching the Hawks just passing off without any pressure. We looked like farking witches hats. 

Great report once again thankyou Jackie,

I am glad to hear that Bomber was telling the players to not corral the opposition and to just get at them as I find we do it all too often.

We will definitely need to bring an upbeat and fast tempo if we are to beat Hawthorn and I think we can win.

Good signs so far and it sounds as if it was quite a solid hitout today.

F…k yeah!

Thurlow kicked a long bomb goal and Bomber was beside himself with excitement  "Go Bombers!!!" he screamed at them and he was pleased to see another long goal from Joe shortly afterwards.

Awesome.

Go BOMBERS!

Dempsey train with the main group? Any sign of Hams or Kommer? Cheers

"Get fkn at them!"

Dempsey did in an early part of the session train with the main group and went inside with VFL players before the end of the session. Predict he'll play VFL practice match against Richmond this Saturday and be assessed for a possible return the following week or two.

Hams observed on the balcony watching training. Kommer not sighted.

Yes

No.  (Hams watched from the balcony - I expect him back (VFL) about round 8.)

Interesting that when asked if Dempsey will play Bomber said fairly emphatically "He'll be a while"

Interesting that when asked if Dempsey will play Bomber said fairly emphatically "He'll be a while"

Hasn't he pretty much just begun his preseason a few weeks ago? Would probably why he's a long way off and that he's coming off a few set backs.

awesome report. seriously, can't believe we have to wait until friday to get another crack at this mob. pumped to have them on the way up for once rather than on the way down.

frankly, i like our chances.

Terrific report JM, great to hear that Winders trained fully and that Dalgleish is finally back with the main group.

In the drills, was Hardingham being used as a forward or defender?

Legend.

I'm actually starting to think JM is Hirdy in some weird fake beard goggle glasses disguise.

Bomba mentioned that Winderlich is available but wants to ensure it's the right inclusion for the team and the individual.

I doubt he'll play Friday night.

I don't think there is any need for all that swearing.

great report!.