Training Tuesday 29/7/14

How's Leroy training? Hear very little on him in these reports.

He's training quite well I couldn't fault his effort. I thought he gave it everything in the pre-season. Uncontracted for next year. and is a very good player at VFL level.  

He's training quite well I couldn't fault his effort. I thought he gave it everything in the pre-season. Uncontracted for next year. and is a very good player at VFL level.  

It's funny you know.Just a small part of me feel like it's the clubs responsibility he doesn't have the confidence. I mean, when he was constantly looking to pass when inside and around 50, it was like 'who the f#k isn't drumming into this guy he's got to be a crumbing goal kicker,not assister?'

What you hear Bassett say should have been a non negotioble.The amount of times Leroy has played AFL games and been free,unpressured, within 50 and ball in hand-and passed! Ah I don't know.

It's funny you know.Just a small part of me feel like it's the clubs responsibility he doesn't have the confidence. I mean, when he was constantly looking to pass when inside and around 50, it was like 'who the f#k isn't drumming into this guy he's got to be a crumbing goal kicker,not assister?'

What you hear Bassett say should have been a non negotioble.The amount of times Leroy has played AFL games and been free,unpressured, within 50 and ball in hand-and passed! Ah I don't know.

I go the other way, it's the club's ■■■■-up that he's been jammed into a square hole for 8 years when it became pretty obvious that was a misfit about 4 years in.

When he has gotten a gig higher up (occasionally at AFL level & all the time in the VFL) he's been pretty good. Same end result of killing his confidence though.

I go the other way, it's the club's fark-up that he's been jammed into a square hole for 8 years when it became pretty obvious that was a misfit about 4 years in.

When he has gotten a gig higher up (occasionally at AFL level & all the time in the VFL) he's been pretty good. Same end result of killing his confidence though.

Shame he doesnt look like getting to 100 games for the club. Papers appear stamped which is unfortunate because I think he is very talented. Will be interesting to see if he gets another gig somewhere.

I go the other way, it's the club's fark-up that he's been jammed into a square hole for 8 years when it became pretty obvious that was a misfit about 4 years in.

Think you are being to lenient on Leroy. Ultimately it has been up to him. He has had enough time to prove himself under multiple coaching structures. In the end it comes down to the players desire and work rate. Skills are not the issue with Leroy. He's just a bit of a cat.

Think you are being to lenient on Leroy. Ultimately it has been up to him. He has had enough time to prove himself under multiple coaching structures. In the end it comes down to the players desire and work rate. Skills are not the issue with Leroy. He's just a bit of a cat.

The Leroy = no 'consistency' 'desire' 'work rate' is BS and endemic of broader stereotyping of Indigenous footballers. Leroy of 2011 and 2012 more than held his own within the 22 (goal assist; forward pressure stats etc. all very good) and then come 2013 they started using him as a 'sub' and 'building' him to be a midfield type player in which he has now only had 1 season to prove himself in such a role. I am not saying he will or would have been able to successfully fulfil this role but it must be frustrating to be not given that opportunity when you see the likes of Colyer being given that chance, and guys like Melksham (until the last week) play week in week out without repercussion. 

The Leroy = no 'consistency' 'desire' 'work rate' is BS and endemic of broader stereotyping of Indigenous footballers. Leroy of 2011 and 2012 more than held his own within the 22 (goal assist; forward pressure stats etc. all very good) and then come 2013 they started using him as a 'sub' and 'building' him to be a midfield type player in which he has now only had 1 season to prove himself in such a role. I am not saying he will or would have been able to successfully fulfil this role but it must be frustrating to be not given that opportunity when you see the likes of Colyer being given that chance, and guys like Melksham (until the last week) play week in week out without repercussion. 

Righteo. Melksham plays a totally different role and brings different qualities to the table. For a start he actually puts his head over the footy when he has to. Leroy doesn't have to be a brute in the contested footy area that's not his thing but there are too many times he tries to avoid contact. He often doesn't go when he has to. And Colyer has more than done his penance. The coaching staff clearly told him you are playing two's until you can rectify x,y and z and they obviously feel he has worked hard on those deficiencies and is now getting his reward. It may be as simple as Leroy doesn't have the endurance/aerobic capacity to put in REPEAT efforts as a high half forward/mid. You can label it stereotyping if that makes you feel better, but it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, he could be yellow ochre for all I care I am just giving my opinion on why a talented young man who has the skill set hasn't made it. It is absurd to think his work rate, desire, application, consistency of effort isn't a causative factor of his current situation. I would say the same thing about Ty ■■■■■■ Zantuck, oh hang on I'm not stereotyping or being racist anymore cos he's white. Is that how it works? Turn it up.

Oh come off it FFS. Why would you even bring up race?
Leroys never been a consistent player. Even through his 'glory days' of 2011/ 2012 he was terribly inconsistent. Capable of playing great footy one week then soft, disinterested uninvolved footy the next.

Yeah, did you even see Leroy in 2011/2012? peolpe were calling for his head every single farking week pretty much, but did he get dropped? The indirect comparison you're making with Jake Melksham is tripe.

Well, yes and no.

His kicking-at-goal skill has always been poor and I don't think (short of unloading pressure on that skill by putting him in a role where goals are a bonus rather than a responsibility) that will change.

So why keep putting him in a role to do that, when it keeps not working, and when he's got some skills which would be very valuable in another role??

Chicken or egg argument.

Can't be overly surprised when guys lose confidence when they keep getting asked to do a job they know they're **** at.

I'll buy into the discussion just a little.  I remember very early in Leroy's career going to a practice match in Warracknabeal and his form had been so bad that he was in the reserves side.  Since then he's come a long way and really puts in an effort - I think his tackling and pressure has greatly improved and he has some magic skills.  Remember when he was labelled "The Excitement Machine"? 

If you watched the reserves game against Footscray you would have witnessed him get a lot of possessions but create a lot of turnovers.  Decision making is his biggest weakness in my opinion - in particular taking the first reasonable option.  Thus sometimes you see him dance and baulk which looks magic in the VFL but there is not time for that in the seniors.

Leroy deserves support, he's done his best in my opinion but the selectors have now moved past him and prefer others.  I thought Bomber made every effort to bring him into the best 22 at the start of the season but he simply couldn't hold his spot.

I remember a game against Adelaide, and the one a couple of years ago against Port he seemed to have  midfield license to play that outside role.

He displayed fantastic skill delivering the ball to team mates up field, on the outside. That's his thing.

But he was never given the opportunity for a variety of reasons to play that role for a sustained period..........

And as HAP said, confidence is lost through a lack of belief, as he continued to provide the evidence that he couldn't adeqautely play the small forward well/consistently.

I'll buy into the discussion just a little.  I remember very early in Leroy's career going to a practice match in Warracknabeal and his form had been so bad that he was in the reserves side.  Since then he's come a long way and really puts in an effort - I think his tackling and pressure has greatly improved and he has some magic skills.  Remember when he was labelled "The Excitement Machine"? 

If you watched the reserves game against Footscray you would have witnessed him get a lot of possessions but create a lot of turnovers.  Decision making is his biggest weakness in my opinion - in particular taking the first reasonable option.  Thus sometimes you see him dance and baulk which looks magic in the VFL but there is not time for that in the seniors.

Leroy deserves support, he's done his best in my opinion but the selectors have now moved past him and prefer others.  I thought Bomber made every effort to bring him into the best 22 at the start of the season but he simply couldn't hold his spot.

Excellent, constructive criticism Jackie. That is my only issue with all the Leroy 'dislike' - the idea that he 'lacks effort'. It is such lazy commentary. I am not saying he is in our best 22 but he is a valuable member of the broader squad and I hope he can stay apart of it next season. 

I've always liked Leroy and my hope for him to do well has been greater than reality. With ball in hand he can create some game opening situations but unfortunately getting the ball in his hand can be less than 50%. He tends to be a bit fumbly when the ball is in bouncing in front of him and rarely wins one on ones. He is easily out marked and a nill all draw is a good result for him. 

The player who has taken his position is Zerrett, he does all the things we hoped Jetta would do and he's only in his first year. A zippy half forward who can move into the midfield. A one touch player, wins one on ones, great delivery, kicks goals.

I've always liked Leroy and my hope for him to do well has been greater than reality. With ball in hand he can create some game opening situations but unfortunately getting the ball in his hand can be less than 50%. He tends to be a bit fumbly when the ball is in bouncing in front of him and rarely wins one on ones. He is easily out marked and a nill all draw is a good result for him. 

The player who has taken his position is Zerrett, he does all the things we hoped Jetta would do and he's only in his first year. A zippy half forward who can move into the midfield. A one touch player, wins one on ones, great delivery, kicks goals.

I think that right there is key. Leroy too often gets beaten in one on ones. He hasn't shown the strength, or nouse to beat his opponent either aerially or when there is a clash of bodies at ground level.

Sorry I didn't realise this was the Leroy Jetta thread. I must be lost, carry on.

Sorry I didn't realise this was the Leroy Jetta thread. I must be lost, carry on.

its the Jeroy Letta thread