Training Wednesday 1/3/17

So close to like no 1. One day.

Great work Jackie. Any sign of Hurls run out there? Oops…, yeah just had a second read.

Yeh it goes to what we were saying though. Draft forwards and mids and if they aren't good enough to make it there send them to defence. A lot of ordinary forwards and mids have turned into gun defenders. At essendon alone we have had carlisle, hooker, ambrose that struggled as forwards but have been good back. Forward is a 10x harder spot to play. Look at hurley even. I actually think the easiest spot on the ground is back flank a lot of spud forwards and mids have been sent there and looked like legends. That's why i find it strange you'd be drafting so many players that play juniors in the easiest spot on the ground. Mcgrath excluded from this due to his mid time.

Yeah, even Leon Davis became an AA playing on the HBF. LEON DAVIS people! Now read that again.

Neon Leon? The guy had always had talent, it just took him a long time to realise it. By the same token could you ever see someone like Gary Moorcroft, who was a better small forward than Davis, becoming an All-Australian HBF. I can’t even picture him holding down a senior spot in that role.

Be sure to let Damian Hardwick and Dean Solomon know that their role in the 2000 premiership could have been filled by any half competent footballer though.

Moorcroft was only 173 cm so clearly didn’t have the physical attributes to defend properly so it doesn’t apply in all circumstances.
Another example is guys like bob murphy, boyd, kelly all aging players who were sent to defence and became stars there despite seeming otherwise finished.
Also munna1 are you seriously saying that half back flank is as hard as chf? Please… there are plenty of players that can only play one position due to physical size or speed but for the other 70 percent that sit around say 180-190cm I’m sure most would say hbf is the easiest position on the ground.

Yeh it goes to what we were saying though. Draft forwards and mids and if they aren't good enough to make it there send them to defence. A lot of ordinary forwards and mids have turned into gun defenders. At essendon alone we have had carlisle, hooker, ambrose that struggled as forwards but have been good back. Forward is a 10x harder spot to play. Look at hurley even. I actually think the easiest spot on the ground is back flank a lot of spud forwards and mids have been sent there and looked like legends. That's why i find it strange you'd be drafting so many players that play juniors in the easiest spot on the ground. Mcgrath excluded from this due to his mid time.

Yeah, even Leon Davis became an AA playing on the HBF. LEON DAVIS people! Now read that again.

Neon Leon? The guy had always had talent, it just took him a long time to realise it. By the same token could you ever see someone like Gary Moorcroft, who was a better small forward than Davis, becoming an All-Australian HBF. I can’t even picture him holding down a senior spot in that role.

Be sure to let Damian Hardwick and Dean Solomon know that their role in the 2000 premiership could have been filled by any half competent footballer though.

Here is that mentality again. HBF easy to play. Fwd line 10 times easier then backline, ordinary fwds and mids turned into gun backs.
Yes, it can and does happen, but it also happens the other way around. I completely disagree with this mentality.

My take is Different people are suited to different positions, at different levels of footy. I have seen at local level right through to the AFL. You see it time and time again a player does well in a position at VFL level but is better suited to a different position at AFL level. Same with U/18 juniors to AFL. There is no easy position to play, or any position that is harder then another. Its what peoples makeup in strength and weaknesses are, and at what level that determine where they should play.

Hell id struggle to get a kick at HBF, yet found it easy to rack up contested possessions and clearances playing in the guts in local footy. Little to do with AFL as I would never had got a kick anywhere, but you get my point.

Mind you they probably would have picked a skinny half back flanker who had injuries in his TAC year so slipped but who had great upside.

Or, you know, Caleb Daniel

Lucky he was taken with the pick the Doggies received from Fark Carlton for Liam Jones

Lol

Carlton

Yeh it goes to what we were saying though. Draft forwards and mids and if they aren’t good enough to make it there send them to defence. A lot of ordinary forwards and mids have turned into gun defenders.
At essendon alone we have had carlisle, hooker, ambrose that struggled as forwards but have been good back.
Forward is a 10x harder spot to play. Look at hurley even. I actually think the easiest spot on the ground is back flank a lot of spud forwards and mids have been sent there and looked like legends. That’s why i find it strange you’d be drafting so many players that play juniors in the easiest spot on the ground. Mcgrath excluded from this due to his mid time.

Francis was drafted as a back, right? We actually have a need for an intercepting back. So why not play him there?

What is our obsession with drafting players who play a particular position and making them play other positions? Think Hurley (drafted as a FB, played him forward, now back again), Langford (let’s make a forward into a midfielder) or any of the countless hbfs or hffs we have tried to unsuccessfully turn into midfielders over the years.

Wasn’t Hooker drafted as a fwd?

Yes and he played CHF for his first half season in the VFL.

Francis was drafted as a utility. He had shown he can play well at both ends and effective in the midfield. Yes my understanding is the Hooker played mostly fwd in his jnr years. I think it is over emphasized on here on who played where when they where drafted. Every team experiments with players, the more flexible the player, the more options the team has. Most of the very good players can play fwd, back, and mid. Where they played as a junior is mostly irrelevant.

Francis was drafted as a back, right? We actually have a need for an intercepting back. So why not play him there?

What is our obsession with drafting players who play a particular position and making them play other positions? Think Hurley (drafted as a FB, played him forward, now back again), Langford (let’s make a forward into a midfielder) or any of the countless hbfs or hffs we have tried to unsuccessfully turn into midfielders over the years.

Wasn’t Hooker drafted as a fwd?

Yeah I am not sure there is much point hypothesising about what could have been in relation to the 2013 draft.

We went in with a second rounder and a late speculative pick and came out with a Brownlow medalist in waiting and arguably one of the most dangerous young small forwards in the comp. That is hall of fame kind of stuff from Disco, but it can just as easily go badly.

I'm gonna maintain for the rest of my life if we didn't get sanctioned in the Merrett year we get Bont Merrett Lobb and fantasia.

We would have had to trade the Merrett pick to get the Bont pick. Much more likely Cripps, Merrett, Lobb and Fantasia.

still hit out of the park

We probably would have taken Aish and Freeman instead.

Training in hot conditions at Tullamarine.

Our centre trios need to work together with one to receive, one to block for him and a sweeper if we lose the tap.

This is so basic, it is even done at reserve grade local footy. Hopefully it clicks next week.

I think with Hocking there and bigger guys back - Heppell, watson, Hocking, we should be able to improve in this area.

This is so not always the best setup. At lower levels maybe. but even then, Not if you are winning the majority of taps.

Mind you they probably would have picked a skinny half back flanker who had injuries in his TAC year so slipped but who had great upside.

God how I wish. I remember watching you tube vids before the draft and looking at his Champianship numbers a being really confused why he wasn’t being talked up more. Recruiters really do get tunnel vision sometimes. Kid is just a glorious natural footballer.

You and I both.

I'm gonna maintain for the rest of my life if we didn't get sanctioned in the Merrett year we get Bont Merrett Lobb and fantasia.

We would have had to trade the Merrett pick to get the Bont pick. Much more likely Cripps, Merrett, Lobb and Fantasia.

I’m gonna maintain for the rest of my life if we didn’t get sanctioned in the Merrett year we get Bont Merrett Lobb and fantasia.

God how I wish. I remember watching you tube vids before the draft and looking at his Champianship numbers a being really confused why he wasn’t being talked up more. Recruiters really do get tunnel vision sometimes. Kid is just a glorious natural footballer.