Training Wednesday 14/12/16

Yawn.

Yawn.

Yeah - notice the only ones biting at Jackie’s opinion are the anti’s, not the pros?

Yawn.

Yeah - notice the only ones biting at Jackie’s opinion are the anti’s, not the pros?

Won’t last long as a pro if you bite.

Yawn.

Won’t last long as a pro if you bite.

Might last long time special for you

Jackie, back in 2014 with bomber in charge I'm pretty sure the pre-season expectations from the coaching panel were for top 4. Obviously it didn't work out that way but it was our best year in recent times. I know you and Karma were bigger fans of Bomber than Hird.

How does the training this pre-season compare to the 2014 pre-season.

Good question

I see as the main differences:

5) Hird was aloof and self centred and about the same standard as Buckley and Voss. He trained the players hard for the start of the season but they invariably fell away in the second half of the season.

In sum we are better prepared than at the start of the 2014 pre season in my opinion.

Hang on, but this place had him as the greatest coach ever had the media and asada not brought him down.

No it didn't. Many criticised Hird and his coaching team for a few substantial and different reasons.

edit, having said that, there are criticisms of worsfold to the same tune, so makes you wonder

The thing with Hird was that his initial start wasn’t particularly stronger than Knights, he had an improving list and should have started doing better (which they did), and the proof in the pudding would have been whether or not he could have achieved ultimate success. Which obviously got derailed. Its easy to get into a heated debate because without that decent period of (un-derailed) years, its hard to evaluate any coach unless they’re unmitigated disasters or successes. Hird was kind of doing what the minimum expected was, without huge over/under achievement, with his real test still to come. So each person is going to have a different view of how that was tracking, partly based on their own views of the list and what should be achievable.

In short - its a thorny issue evaluating him so its open to personal interpretation. Given the circumstances, it then becomes a touchy subject.

Have to be an honest. As a die hard fan who has not been to a Bombers game (or back to Australia) in close to a decade these reports are incredible. Thanks Jackie.

Jackie, back in 2014 with bomber in charge I'm pretty sure the pre-season expectations from the coaching panel were for top 4. Obviously it didn't work out that way but it was our best year in recent times. I know you and Karma were bigger fans of Bomber than Hird.

How does the training this pre-season compare to the 2014 pre-season.

Looking back on that I can’t think why everyone was so optimistic. The internal upheaval was massive. Yeah, it only got worse. Now, it feels like we have more young talent and more ability on every line. The biggest difference though is a stable coaching team who seem to be going about things very steadily without any fuss or preconception.

Man, I like Worsfold’s style. Just a smile and a gaze past that nose that tells you all you need to know.

Well, to be fair it wasn’t entirely stupid. Until the last 7 odd rounds we were in the top 4 the year before. Blitz downplayed losing Crameri, which meant it was felt we hadn’t really lost much and there were expectations around improvements in some younger players, and a better injury run. The assumption was that 2013 performance pre-collapse was indicative of how we could go, that Thompson would merely continue Hird’s coaching system and that the Saga was over now that we’d copped the penalties.

History of course says a lot of those assumptions were rubbish. Crameri leaving, Belly’s injury (which meant Ryder was full time ruck), Winderlich’s decline, Kommer’s injury and Hurley back totally changed our forward line which dropped off in productivity. Either because of Thompson/injuries/other teams working us out our game plan changed and our ball movement changed to treacle, exacerbating the forward issues. The Saga obviously didn’t end and caused rifts such as Ryder’s exit and the coaching situation probably didn’t help.

Some of that was a little foreseeable, but I can still understand us pushing for top 4. Especially as some wasn’t foreseeable/known.

Long live Hirdy

Yawn.

Spot on.

Yawn.

Spot on.

Haters gon’ hate. … & never miss a chance to lay the boot in.

Hirdy even making training reports about himself

Hird without Bomber by his side was crap

Bomber without Hird by his side was crap

Together they were good

Hird without Bomber by his side was crap

Bomber without Hird by his side was crap

Together they were good

I am the sun, you are the rain
Together we make a rainbow xxx

I can’t win, I can’t reign
I will never win this game without you, without you
I am lost, I am vain,
I will never be the same without you, without you
I won’t run, I won’t fly
I will never make it by without you, without you
I can’t rest, I can’t fight
All I need is you and I, without you, without you

I like woosh because you don’t know what disgusting morbid thoughts he has unter that toothy smile.

I like woosh because you don't know what disgusting morbid thoughts he has unter that toothy smile.

That, Sir, is a fantastically bizarre statement.

Joe to join the "didnt have a full preseason" club.

OK, Woosha is looking good, and I like the way he handled 2016 but remember it was only 3 years ago that he resigned from the Eagles in similar circumstances to Hird, that is after 3 disastrous losses and having lost a significant part of the playing group.

2016 was a learning year but I strongly believe we will see a different Woosha in 2017, not the smiling pharmacist who is about “learning and driving elite standards”, but the tough guy who wants his team to win and will start driving them really hard.

OK, Woosha is looking good, and I like the way he handled 2016 but remember it was only 3 years ago that he resigned from the Eagles in similar circumstances to Hird, that is after 3 disastrous losses and having lost a significant part of the playing group.

2016 was a learning year but I strongly believe we will see a different Woosha in 2017, not the smiling pharmacist who is about “learning and driving elite standards”, but the tough guy who wants his team to win and will start driving them really hard.

Maybe Woosha learnt from his first coaching stint similarly to Matthews