Training Wednesday 17/2/16

Training in cool conditions at Tullamarine.

Karma Bomber has helped with this report and his photos will appear later.

Today was a shorter session today but quite intense. The number of players on the track was reduced but this is nothing to worry about and is just part of the overall plan for managing training loads.

I get the impression that the group is starting to come together and the cohesiveness is better than two or three weeks ago. There was a good level of intensity and talking today and the top ups are starting to exert a positive influence. In particular Jamar’s work in the ruck mentoring Gach and Kelly and Stokes are forming a useful partnership around the packs on the forward line. When the season starts look for opposition players to drop their heads when Crowley walks towards them.

The main drill today was a half ground drill with fourteen players per side passing the ball around under pressure to set up attacks or running the ball out of the backline under pressure. At times the handball was overdone with players calling for very short handballs to no advantage and forward momentum faltering due to handballing backwards or in one case a blind handball over the back of a player’s head. On the other hand you could say that good defensive pressure was being applied in the crowded, contested situation.

The standout leading forward today was McKernan who marked strongly and kicked pretty accurately with the tricky cross breeze. The Francis hanger over Jamar and Sam Michael was worth the price of admission and is something to look forward to this year.
KB
Conor McKenna provided a standout highlight when he marked near the boundary between HF and forward pocket. Told to play on, and attacked by defenders, he managed to evade tackles and shot a powerful 40 metre centred and accurate pass to a teammate who was covered by three defenders. He’s looking good for a number of senior appearances this year.

The on ball situation is quite exciting most of our slow midfielders having been suspended. Parish continues to impress as a natural footballer, Fantasia is showing out with good burst of pace over the first few strides but the standout is Zaharakis who is back to his best form of several years ago. He is certainly one of the fittest and his desire and confidence in the contest has ramped up.

Grimly is certainly a prospect on the forward line but is not holding his marks very well at this stage but I would like to conclude by commenting on Hartley’s kicking. There will never be another Fletcher but he is kicking 60 metres with ease which was a bit of a highlight today.

Expect a good, full on practice match on Friday.

Zaka’s hungry. Love it.

Lid ajar.

Thanks Jackie and Karma.

Tone has changed significantly, and quickly, in these reports.

Are they noticeably gelling together better?

Puts on tin foil hat: jackie and karma have been paid off by the afl to talk things up to make sure our membership stays up and we get good attendances for the first few rounds :stuck_out_tongue:

seriously though, thanks again jackie and karmabomber. Good to see you’re back after you slackened off on Monday :slight_smile:

McKernan and McKenna! The two Maccas. Get around them. It’s a combo deal with an automatic upgrade!

seriously though, thanks again jackie and karmabomber. Good to see you're back after you slackened off on Monday :)

Keeping innocent men out of gaol on Monday.

Genuinely excited for this season. Don’t care if we win many games. Just want to get 12-15 games in the young 'uns. We may well look back on '16 as the season that shaped our next decade.

Yes I think so but they really need to play games against other clubs to gel properly. Eleven new recruits and ten top ups is an unprecedented situation apart from the formation of expansion clubs.

The Francis hanger over Jamar and Sam Michael was worth the price of admission and is something to look forward to this year.

Did you get a snap of this KB?

Conor McKenna provided a standout highlight when he marked near the boundary between HF and forward pocket. Told to play on, and attacked by defenders, he managed to evade tackles and shot a powerful 40 metre centred and accurate pass to a teammate who was covered by three defenders. He's looking good for a number of senior appearances this year.

pack up boys dropping a pineapple on the flag.

dw rolo next training session i go to i’ll bring the doom and gloom to the reports.

Thank-you. Crowley would appear to be a certain starter in our best 22. Actually it sounds like he will be in our top 10. Emerging cult figure.

Well done, JM and KB. Your reports really are a boon to those who, like me, can’t get to training.

Generally, how do you think Joe D is going? He’s turning 22 in a couple of weeks and he’s played almost 50 games, so he should be getting to the point where he’s no longer considered as “raw”. Do you think he’s showing real signs of maturity? Is his kicking more reliable? Is he looking like a genuine key goalkicking forward? What’s his attitude to training: is he a real hard trainer or one who does what’s required?

Sorry for the cross-examination. You can take it as a compliment: your opinions are valued.

Glad to hear that McKenna is showing good signs. He is one l think who will have a breakout year, this season. He is primed and ready, watch him burn them off. Thanks again JM for the latest training report. Your diligence in this area is due recognition.

seriously though, thanks again jackie and karmabomber. Good to see you're back after you slackened off on Monday :)

Keeping innocent men out of gaol on Monday.

I can’t believe you’re putting your job before our luxuries needs

Well done, JM and KB. Your reports really are a boon to those who, like me, can't get to training.

Generally, how do you think Joe D is going? He’s turning 22 in a couple of weeks and he’s played almost 50 games, so he should be getting to the point where he’s no longer considered as “raw”. Do you think he’s showing real signs of maturity? Is his kicking more reliable? Is he looking like a genuine key goalkicking forward? What’s his attitude to training: is he a real hard trainer or one who does what’s required?

Sorry for the cross-examination. You can take it as a compliment: your opinions are valued.

Joe is going well and showing leadetrship potential. In my opinion he won’t be the damaging player he could be until the forward line becomes a settled group and he has the assistance of other dangerous forwards to reduce the pressure on him. In particular leading patterns need to be developed to give a spread of options instead of just kicking it high on his head. His goal kicking has improved but the factor that would help the most would be if he stopped leading to the pockets putting himself on a tight angle. Time and time again at training you will see him lead to the boundary line. I don’t think he is going to be used very much in the ruck which will improve his endurance and I note that he has bulked up which will help in one on one contests but in my opinion he will play his best football leading up the ground as far as the wing where he will be much harder to stop and where it is more difficult to play two players on him.

You going to be there on Friday Karma and Jackie?

Jackie, who do you see getting the No.1 Ruck duties in round 1. I would imagine Jamar is not ready yet and Leuny seems to be under an injury cloud.