Training Wednesday 17/2/16

I’ve said it before but despite expecting to be belted a few times, we should be a genuinely interesting team to watch.

I’m always excited to see any of Laverde, Langford, Fantasia, Hams, Edwards, Gleeson etc get a game and to potentially see all of them or most of them on the park at once is extremely interesting and even thrilling, even if slightly worrisome.

Add to that a few older blokes (rovers, wanderers, nomads, vagabonds, call them what you wiiiiiiillllll) who have given us grief over the years donning the red sash and you have the recipe for something special.

I've said it before but despite expecting to be belted a few times, we should be a genuinely interesting team to watch.

I’m always excited to see any of Laverde, Langford, Fantasia, Hams, Edwards, Gleeson etc get a game and to potentially see all of them or most of them on the park at once is extremely interesting and even thrilling, even if slightly worrisome.

Add to that a few older blokes (rovers, wanderers, nomads, vagabonds, call them what you wiiiiiiillllll) who have given us grief over the years donning the red sash and you have the recipe for something special.

And the top ups becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in Bomber Blitz I do confide
And they keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
And with dust in throat I crave
Only knowledge will I save
To the game you stay a slave

You going to be there on Friday Karma and Jackie?

I think so - come and say hello.

I reckon the response Soulnet was looking for was, “yep, I’ll be at the BBQ you’re organising after training, and Tiff will be too. She loves a good sausage.”

Jackie, who do you see getting the No.1 Ruck duties in round 1. I would imagine Jamar is not ready yet and Leuny seems to be under an injury cloud.

The pecking order is Leuenberger, Jamar, McKernan, Daniher. Hird played Ambrose in the ruck but this wasn’t successful and I would discount this move under the new coach. As you point out Leuenberger is recovering from injury and has missed much of the preseason. Jamar lacks match fitness and McKernan is wanted on the forward line.

If I had to guess I would say Jamar with a big contribution from McKernan and some of the other taller players “chipping in.” It’s also possible that they will sign Sam Michael who could take a turn there but I imagine he would not be fit enough for the first game.

Gach of course has tremendous potential but I don’t think he will be physically ready this year and certainly not experienced enough to play in the opening game.

Fletch played his first game in the ruck didn’t he?

Gach will be fine. What could go wrong.

I’ll try to inbetween everything if I get a chance!

JM, any pics from today?

Did Grima train and how likely is he to becoming the 9th top up?

I've said it before but despite expecting to be belted a few times, we should be a genuinely interesting team to watch.

And the top ups becomes my bride
I have stripped of all but pride
So in Bomber Blitz I do confide
And they keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
And with dust in throat I crave
Only knowledge will I save
To the game you stay a slave

I need to play that song now. Pretty powerful song from the player’s perspective, but also from a fans perspective too.

Well done, JM and KB. Your reports really are a boon to those who, like me, can't get to training.

Generally, how do you think Joe D is going? He’s turning 22 in a couple of weeks and he’s played almost 50 games, so he should be getting to the point where he’s no longer considered as “raw”. Do you think he’s showing real signs of maturity? Is his kicking more reliable? Is he looking like a genuine key goalkicking forward? What’s his attitude to training: is he a real hard trainer or one who does what’s required?

Sorry for the cross-examination. You can take it as a compliment: your opinions are valued.

Joe is going well and showing leadetrship potential. In my opinion he won’t be the damaging player he could be until the forward line becomes a settled group and he has the assistance of other dangerous forwards to reduce the pressure on him. In particular leading patterns need to be developed to give a spread of options instead of just kicking it high on his head. His goal kicking has improved but the factor that would help the most would be if he stopped leading to the pockets putting himself on a tight angle. Time and time again at training you will see him lead to the boundary line. I don’t think he is going to be used very much in the ruck which will improve his endurance and I note that he has bulked up which will help in one on one contests but in my opinion he will play his best football leading up the ground as far as the wing where he will be much harder to stop and where it is more difficult to play two players on him.

Thanks very much, JM, that’s exactly the sort of comment I was looking for. FWIW, as someone who has only seen him in actual games rather than training, I’ve also thought that he looks much more like a roaming, mobile full forward or CHF than a stay at home power type. He’s very tall, but he’s also very mobile and his ground skills are very good for his size, and getting out and running around would make him much harder to jostle and double-team. He’s not really built to stand and wrestle with the stronger backmen.

In rugby union, they call them barbarians

Can some one give me a comparison on the type of player darcy parish is? Im really intrigued to see him perform in the NAB challenge along with Francis.

Is there any chance Parish will spend time on the ball this season? or will he simply be too small and forced to go to either forwardline or Half back flank? Has he been training with the midfield group?

Was Grima at training?

Well done, JM and KB. Your reports really are a boon to those who, like me, can't get to training.

Generally, how do you think Joe D is going? He’s turning 22 in a couple of weeks and he’s played almost 50 games, so he should be getting to the point where he’s no longer considered as “raw”. Do you think he’s showing real signs of maturity? Is his kicking more reliable? Is he looking like a genuine key goalkicking forward? What’s his attitude to training: is he a real hard trainer or one who does what’s required?

Sorry for the cross-examination. You can take it as a compliment: your opinions are valued.

Joe is going well and showing leadetrship potential. In my opinion he won’t be the damaging player he could be until the forward line becomes a settled group and he has the assistance of other dangerous forwards to reduce the pressure on him. In particular leading patterns need to be developed to give a spread of options instead of just kicking it high on his head. His goal kicking has improved but the factor that would help the most would be if he stopped leading to the pockets putting himself on a tight angle. Time and time again at training you will see him lead to the boundary line. I don’t think he is going to be used very much in the ruck which will improve his endurance and I note that he has bulked up which will help in one on one contests but in my opinion he will play his best football leading up the ground as far as the wing where he will be much harder to stop and where it is more difficult to play two players on him.

Thanks very much, JM, that’s exactly the sort of comment I was looking for. FWIW, as someone who has only seen him in actual games rather than training, I’ve also thought that he looks much more like a roaming, mobile full forward or CHF than a stay at home power type. He’s very tall, but he’s also very mobile and his ground skills are very good for his size, and getting out and running around would make him much harder to jostle and double-team. He’s not really built to stand and wrestle with the stronger backmen.

You’re right Bluey, he’s more Nick Riewoldt than Travis Cloke.

I can tell how well we trained by how many Likes on Jackie’s original post. Lots of Likes today.

Can some one give me a comparison on the type of player darcy parish is? Im really intrigued to see him perform in the NAB challenge along with Francis.

Is there any chance Parish will spend time on the ball this season? or will he simply be too small and forced to go to either forwardline or Half back flank? Has he been training with the midfield group?

Was Grima at training?

He’s smallish but will be a clearance player in the midfield as his career progresses but his strength and level of fitness probably won’t allow him long stints in the midfield this year.

I didn’t see Grima at training.

Why don’t YOU come and say hello? You don’t ever seem to leave the Jackie Mihocek wing.
Perhaps there’s someone you don’t want some of the handsomer Blitzers to meet? …

Was Grima at training?

I see a bit of Cousins in Parish.
Can win his own ball, can run with it, is a gut runner, two sided and likes a goal. He also is a bit cocky like Cuz.

Was Grima at training?

Shane Crawford with some good inside work for his size

I can tell how well we trained by how many Likes on Jackie's original post. Lots of Likes today.
Reckon Woosha writes the number of JM's likes from the last training session on the whiteboard before starting the next one?