Training Wednesday 18/1

Hi guys,

I dropped into training today, and as no one else has posted I thought I would put down my observations. This report will not be of the usual high standard of Jackie M.

Modified Group - Joe, Howlett, Coyler, Francis & Morgan. Morgan didn’t complete the session, heard comment he is not ready to go yet.
Re Joe was doing alot of kicking with his right foot, but looked to be running freely.
Hep & Myers did some running & ball work, which would be about work load management.
No Tippa & Kelly

The main drill was about stoppages being conducted in the 50m arc, with the focus on positioning & set up at the stoppage.

The usual suspects did well, Jobe looks in great nick.
Langford & Long impressed - Long oppossed to BJ on a wing, just looks so silky
Gleeson & Jackson Merret did well in clearing the ball from defence & providing run
Greens work as a small permanent forward kicking 2 goals (from memory) One goal in particulair was probarbly the highlight for me.
One really good passage of play ended with Hooksy with the ball in the goal square and instead kicking tried an extra handball, which resulted in a turn over, which Woosha yelled out “your a forward now Chook, kick the ■■■■■■ goal!!”
In between stoppages there is a lot of talking & pointing of were players should be positioned & it appeared there was different set ups at different stoppages.

There was a quiet few players not training today as apprently there is a few sore bodies after Monday’s training session, and possible management for Saturday’s interclub match.
None of the first year players compteted in the stoppage drill.

Thanks Mornington.

This is encouraging news about Longy, Although he was OK at AFL level in 2016 I would not have thought he had a chance in the AFL this year . It sounds like he is continuing to improve.

Great stuff mornington, really appreciate it

Thanks heaps Mornington! Were blessed with alot of awesome training reporters

Thanks a lot Mornington. Whenever anyone does a training report it is greatly appreciated by us folks who are unlikely to ever to get to a training session.

Thank you also.
There was a great emphasis on stoppages at the training I went to (Mon9Jan). Continual stoppages and restarts rather than any continuous passages of matchplay.
I have thought for a long time that we are terrible at defensive 50 stoppages, and allow too easy opposition scores from not having everyone properly manned up, goalside etc. The most notable was the Rioli goal at Etihad when Hawthorn came from 10 pts down to beat us in the last <1min. It came from unmanned runners overlapping and receiving from a throw in inside 50.
You would never see a side like Sydney concede an easy or unmanned possession from a stoppage in defensive 50.
I really hope we are addressing this.
Is there an intra club practice match this Sat? If so, look forward to reports.

Come on Chooka, get selfish!

Lol. Poor old man Goddard lined up next to Longy!!! I hope Longy was giving him a bit of “too slow, old man” and blind turning & baulking around him for fun.

Thank you also. There was a great emphasis on stoppages at the training I went to (Mon9Jan). Continual stoppages and restarts rather than any continuous passages of matchplay. I have thought for a long time that we are terrible at defensive 50 stoppages, and allow too easy opposition scores from not having everyone properly manned up, goalside etc. The most notable was the Rioli goal at Etihad when Hawthorn came from 10 pts down to beat us in the last <1min. It came from unmanned runners overlapping and receiving from a throw in inside 50. You would never see a side like Sydney concede an easy or unmanned possession from a stoppage in defensive 50. I really hope we are addressing this. Is there an intra club practice match this Sat? If so, look forward to reports.

i maintain that we are the worst club in the AFL at getting scored against at a stoppage when the ball is inside defensive 50. Just have absolutely 0 faith in our players from that situation…

so I too hope its being addressed in some way

Does anyone know if the boys will be training on the 27th?

Ive got the day off and would love to take the twins down for daddy son time.

Come on Chooka, get selfish!

HE’S KICKING ■■■■■■ GOALS

Thanks for the report Mornington. Does anyone know what time the intraclub match is starting on Saturday?

I like Chook as a name for Cale, I hope it isn’t referring to his leading patterns.

I like Chook as a name for Cale, I hope it isn't referring to his leading patterns.

Probably more to do with his love of millet seeds.

Thanks Mornington - been hanging out to hear something from today so very much appreciated! Glad to hear some positive stuff about Jerret.

Thank you also. There was a great emphasis on stoppages at the training I went to (Mon9Jan). Continual stoppages and restarts rather than any continuous passages of matchplay. I have thought for a long time that we are terrible at defensive 50 stoppages, and allow too easy opposition scores from not having everyone properly manned up, goalside etc. The most notable was the Rioli goal at Etihad when Hawthorn came from 10 pts down to beat us in the last <1min. It came from unmanned runners overlapping and receiving from a throw in inside 50. You would never see a side like Sydney concede an easy or unmanned possession from a stoppage in defensive 50. I really hope we are addressing this. Is there an intra club practice match this Sat? If so, look forward to reports.

i maintain that we are the worst club in the AFL at getting scored against at a stoppage when the ball is inside defensive 50. Just have absolutely 0 faith in our players from that situation…

so I too hope its being addressed in some way

What, we have a subscription to the premium Champion Data stats package, we have 1 current and 3 former AFL senior coaches, and we are not aware of this weakness, and are not doing anything about it ?

I think that for any given game plan/ list combination, a strength in one aspect will probably result in a weakness somewhere else.
For instance the fact that Adelaide kicked more goals than any other team over the season was not enough to get them into a prelim final .

Anyone got details of the intraclub game?

I heard on Monday inter club at 10.00 at Tulla. Not sure how reliable that is

I heard on Monday inter club at 10.00 at Tulla. Not sure how reliable that is
Does anyone know if the boys will be training on the 27th?

Ive got the day off and would love to take the twins down for daddy son time.

I believe no training on 27th, players having a 4 day weekend