Training Wednesday 18/1

Thank you also. There was a great emphasis on stoppages at the training I went to (Mon9Jan). Continual stoppages and restarts rather than any continuous passages of matchplay. I have thought for a long time that we are terrible at defensive 50 stoppages, and allow too easy opposition scores from not having everyone properly manned up, goalside etc. The most notable was the Rioli goal at Etihad when Hawthorn came from 10 pts down to beat us in the last <1min. It came from unmanned runners overlapping and receiving from a throw in inside 50. You would never see a side like Sydney concede an easy or unmanned possession from a stoppage in defensive 50. I really hope we are addressing this. Is there an intra club practice match this Sat? If so, look forward to reports.

i maintain that we are the worst club in the AFL at getting scored against at a stoppage when the ball is inside defensive 50. Just have absolutely 0 faith in our players from that situation…

so I too hope its being addressed in some way

Going by today’s training definately been addressed, this was a major focus of the drill

Does anyone know if the boys will be training on the 27th?

Ive got the day off and would love to take the twins down for daddy son time.

I believe the players have a four day break starting Australia day

Thanks Mornington.

Did you notice if Leuenberger trained?

Thanks Mornington.

Did you notice if Leuenberger trained?

Yes he was full training in the ruck against Smack…

Unsure, but my horse is most likely having its first start at the valley, keep an eye on it - Supergrass and no I didn’t name him
Lol. Poor old man Goddard lined up next to Longy!!! I hope Longy was giving him a bit of "too slow, old man" and blind turning & baulking around him for fun.

I remember watching Longy’s dad getting into trouble with his baulking sometimes. He was so quick he would baulk twice and run straight into a tackle because his opponent hadn’t had time to respond to the first baulk.

If there is an Intra club game on Saturday that would be so awesome could get a good crowd down.

Inter =/= Intra

Thanks for the report Mornington. Does anyone know what time the intraclub match is starting on Saturday?
More info on a Saturday intraclub match would be great. I might be able to make that.

Unsure, but my horse is most likely having its first start at the valley, keep an eye on it - Supergrass and no I didn’t name him

Is he a winner? Should I put the house on it ?

With all your ex wives have you got any houses left?
Lol. Poor old man Goddard lined up next to Longy!!! I hope Longy was giving him a bit of "too slow, old man" and blind turning & baulking around him for fun.

I remember watching Longy’s dad getting into trouble with his baulking sometimes. He was so quick he would baulk twice and run straight into a tackle because his opponent hadn’t had time to respond to the first baulk.

Well that’s… baulkward…

Hi guys,

I dropped into training today, and as no one else has posted I thought I would put down my observations. This report will not be of the usual high standard of Jackie M.

Modified Group - Joe, Howlett, Coyler, Francis & Morgan. Morgan didn’t complete the session, heard comment he is not ready to go yet.
Re Joe was doing alot of kicking with his right foot, but looked to be running freely.
Hep & Myers did some running & ball work, which would be about work load management.
No Tippa & Kelly

The main drill was about stoppages being conducted in the 50m arc, with the focus on positioning & set up at the stoppage.

The usual suspects did well, Jobe looks in great nick.
Langford & Long impressed - Long oppossed to BJ on a wing, just looks so silky
Gleeson & Jackson Merret did well in clearing the ball from defence & providing run
Greens work as a small permanent forward kicking 2 goals (from memory) One goal in particulair was probarbly the highlight for me.
One really good passage of play ended with Hooksy with the ball in the goal square and instead kicking tried an extra handball, which resulted in a turn over, which Woosha yelled out “your a forward now Chook, kick the ■■■■■■ goal!!”
In between stoppages there is a lot of talking & pointing of were players should be positioned & it appeared there was different set ups at different stoppages.

There was a quiet few players not training today as apprently there is a few sore bodies after Monday’s training session, and possible management for Saturday’s interclub match.
None of the first year players compteted in the stoppage drill.

Thanks mate I was there at the club briefly. Tippa and Kelly joined in initially but then went inside.

With all your ex wives have you got any houses left?

Didn’t say his house did he?

Appreciate your work, champ.

How are the small forwards (Orazio, Walla, Howlett, Coyler and Green) going?

As for the intraclub match, does anyone know if it’ll be live streamed?

Unsure. Has a nice pedigree, with a good trainer too. I hope so hahaha
Thanks Mornington - been hanging out to hear something from today so very much appreciated! Glad to hear some positive stuff about Jerret.

Agree about the Jerrett comment. Also good to hear that Gleeson is doing well. All good here.

GIven that Jerrett is playing half back in the training match simulations, I make it that we have 8 HBFers vying for Rd1.
For mine, Kelly and Stanton get the starting spots (Baguley BP).
This leaves remaining contenders in approx. order of merit as Gleeson, Dea, McKenna, McGrath, Jerrett, Morgan.
If there are no injuries, who plays half back in the VFL?
If they don’t get a spot elsewhere in the AFL best 22 (eg IC), you could see Gleeson playing as mid in VFL, McGrath mid, Morgan wing, maybe McKenna wing?? leaving Dea and Jerrett as HBF. If so, where does Long play?
It’s going to be a log jam of players playing similar roles if there are no injuries.
Same goes for 3rd tall forward, where any or all of Redman, Begley, Ridley and possibly Lav (if not in best 22) could be playing a similar role. (Francis forward or back?)
Bugger all ruckmen and KPF but lots of flankers and 3rd talls.

GIven that Jerrett is playing half back in the training match simulations, I make it that we have 8 HBFers vying for Rd1. For mine, Kelly and Stanton get the starting spots (Baguley BP). This leaves remaining contenders in approx. order of merit as Gleeson, Dea, McKenna, McGrath, Jerrett, Morgan. If there are no injuries, who plays half back in the VFL? If they don't get a spot elsewhere in the AFL best 22 (eg IC), you could see Gleeson playing as mid in VFL, McGrath mid, Morgan wing, maybe McKenna wing?? leaving Dea and Jerrett as HBF. If so, where does Long play? It's going to be a log jam of players playing similar roles if there are no injuries. Same goes for 3rd tall forward, where any or all of Redman, Begley, Ridley and possibly Lav (if not in best 22) could be playing a similar role. (Francis forward or back?) Bugger all ruckmen and KPF but lots of flankers and 3rd talls.

Back 6 will be
Bags, Hartley, Dea
McG/Stanton, Hurley, Kelly

Long is a wing/hff you want that creativity and magic spark up forward.

Good points. But usually on the bench there will be a spare forward, a spare mid , a spare defender and maybe a KP player,
so while you select Kelly and Stanton, it may be the spare defender is Gleeson, or Dea , both good interceptors, and can play tall.
But yes, we have way too many HBF players. But hasnt that been the case for years?