Training Wednesday 18/12/19

I appreciate the details that he provides. Makes me feel part of the inner sanctum.

3 Likes

Season 2020 optimism has now hit a new high of 5%.

4 Likes

Ok - training report mark II

A long hot session today, starting just before 9am around 27 degrees and finishing about midday at 37.

Easily the most grueling session in some time, unlike in previous years were they would often stop for a 5 minute drinks break every half hour or so this was pretty continuous, going from drills to running to games out on the second oval without much of a break at anytime. We were all getting tired just watching them from the shade of the trees!

While the intensity is still not quite there in the drills there is no doubt they would have got a great workout from the session, I hope the pace will pick up a bit after the break.

I gave a bit of a bum steer about the match practice earlier when I saw the umpires, I think they were there for conditioning as well. While they did officiate in some of the drills they also joined in a lot of the running with the players, tagging a long in the middle of the groups. Lets hope the camaraderie can lead to a few more decisions going our way during the year!

One thing we commented on today was the different type of running that is taking place in most sessions. There are a lot more repetitious 150 metre sprints, the type of running you would expect to do in a game, which is then followed by skills work and often goal kicking. I think most here would be happy to know that the amount of goalkicking practice has increased significantly.

Today they also added in several runs of around 1km going around the boundary of both ovals, and running up the hill at the back of the second oval. I was particularly pleased to see Raz out the front and doing very well in these. Also in match practice a couple of times he seemed to accelerate close to full pace. Iā€™m confident he will be at very near full fitness after the break, and with no further setbacks should easily be ready to go round 1.

There was quite a mixture of activities today, interspersed with the ball movement drills they did lots and lots of running at quite a good pace, along with breaks with games of soccer, frisbee and throwing that torpedo shaped thingy. At the end they also did running pulling someone with the large elastic bands and quite a lot of boxing exercises. They certainly earned their break.

The new guys Bryan, Jones, and Cahill also completed the whole session, sometimes training in a separate group under the tutelage of Buddha.

Bryan was doing some contested marking along with Bellchambers and Phillips earlier in the session and was generally outpointed quite easily. He seems to have a good technique just not the body size yet. Phillips was quite impressive though, at least holding his own with Belly.

Laverde as was mentioned by Matt looks good, not just playing wise but physically. Iā€™m a big fan of his and can never quite understand when people say he doesnā€™t have very good lateral movement he showed a number of times today excellent maneuvering in heavy traffic. I certainly hope he can have a breakout year, his strength marking and athleticism could be very important to the team balance.

I didnā€™t see Francis go off, Matt only mentioned it after he left the oval but various players were coming and going at different stages so nothing necessarily to worry about at this stage.

All in all it was a good solid workout to end the year on, and even after such a torturous session the players seemed to leave the track in very good spirits.

78 Likes

Donā€™t stopā€¦ Iā€™m almost there.

5 Likes

And they even kicked some of them - or is that going too far?

5 Likes

Thanks @nackers - appreciatedā€¦ particularly enjoyed the second report.
Really like how things are sounding. Am worried about Merrett (lack of news).
Also really like Lav & hopes he stays injury free.
Thanks x2

1 Like

Itā€™s a BlitzMyth dating back from from drafting disappointment era.

2 Likes

He was out on Monday but not sighted again today, I have no idea what the issue is but he has looked Ok when he has appeared, seems to be also a lot bigger in the upper body.

5 Likes

Have they awarded any frees to Hawthorn yet?

7 Likes

Its a VORTEX NACKERSSSSS

1 Like

oy vey - whatā€™s with Joey and the kippah?

The repeat sprint efforts are hall marks of this pressure game Tigers do so well.

IIRC one of their key criteria for draftees/recruits is that

1 Like

Yes we were also talking a bit about this today, how the 2km time trial that everyone talks about doesnā€™t really relate that well to the requirements of a modern footballer.

Someone like Jok was great over 2km but was always a bit too slow and one paced for the repeat sprints required in the game. A bit similar I think to Zakka and what Stanton was like without getting into another debate on them.

Whereas someone like Smith and I think we will see Townsend is fantastic in the 50 - 100m repeat sprints which can put on enormous pressure both offensively and defensively, without necessarily being great in a time trial.

22 Likes

good point - all teams would be doing some type of running - fatigue - skills drill. But the good ones are those that relate best and help best with what happens in a match. Also the effort the players put in to this type of drill - just how hard they push themselves and the coaches push them is important. Hereā€™s hoping the muscle memory, fitness and brain all go up to an elite levelā€¦

10 Likes

I suspect we will need 2-3 pre-seasons of this type of training before the muscles are really trained.

2 Likes

Yes while I have commented that I havenā€™t thought the ball movement drills have been at a great intensity, although that has improved has the pre season has gone on, these 100 - 200m sprints have been at a consistently high pace. They are obviously being conditioned to a different type of running.

4 Likes

People who have a good aerobic base are able to buffer away lactic acid more quickly and effectively than those who lack in that area. So whilst the 150m repeat sprints are absolutely important and more game specific, itā€™s also important to have that endurance ability, as this will help with recharging quickly to allow repeat efforts. Hence the relevance of the 2-4km time trials in addition to the sprint work.

9 Likes

How was Laverdeā€™s shots on goal?

I am privately seething.

How dare we practice goal kicking, running, skills while fatigued and kicking to advantage.

Outrageous.

12 Likes

Pretty good from what I could see, if he missed any it wasnā€™t by much and he kicked at least a couple of good ones from tight angles.

5 Likes