Training Wednesday 19/2/14

Training in mild conditions at Tullamarine on the McCracken Oval.
Pretty much a light recovery session today after Monday's match although the players who didn't play on Monday, Pears, Watson, Fletcher, Chapman, Winderlich, Ambrose, Rayner, Fantasia, Gregory, Edwards, van Unen and Goddard had a longer session moving the ball up and down the ground. Winders emphasised the need for forwards not to move too far up the ground to provide a target after Watson ways forced to pass to Ambrose leading into the pocket.
Joe didn't train today but don't panic he just appeared to b having a rest.
Bomber took goal kicking practice with players having set shots from the left forward pocket which was particularly difficult for left footers and he took a great deal of trouble to set the marking players at the side to exactly five metres too harass players stepping out wide for the banana kick. I guess this has to be practised but seeing him directing Hurley at shooting from this spot brought back bad memories of last year's dysfunctional forward lines and Hurley's leads to this unproductive spot.
Not much else to say but David and I both thought Dempsey who was doing modified training with Myers looks much bigger in the upper body his year.

Thanks JM.

Good to hear about them noticing the forwards pushing up too far. It was as big a problem of them pushing up too far and the midfielders not having a target, as it was the defenders pushing up too far and getting caught out on the counter.

Dempsey big in the upper body, we talking shoulders and chest or stomach and chins?

What's going on with Dempsey? I've seen a few pot shot posts about him on Blitz. Talking about skin folds etc. Haven't seen him myself so not sure if you're kidding. We really need him in the team and firing so am a bit concerned about your posts guys. Any more info?

Training in mild conditions at Tullamarine on the McCracken Oval.
Pretty much a light recovery session today after Monday's match although the players who didn't play on Monday, Pears, Watson, Fletcher, Chapman, Winderlich, Ambrose, Rayner, Fantasia, Gregory, Edwards, van Unen and Goddard had a longer session moving the ball up and down the ground. Winders emphasised the need for forwards not to move too far up the ground to provide a target after Watson ways forced to pass to Ambrose leading into the pocket.
Joe didn't train today but don't panic he just appeared to b having a rest.
Bomber took goal kicking practice with players having set shots from the left forward pocket which was particularly difficult for left footers and he took a great deal of trouble to set the marking players at the side to exactly five metres too harass players stepping out wide for the banana kick. I guess this has to be practised but seeing him directing Hurley at shooting from this spot brought back bad memories of last year's dysfunctional forward lines and Hurley's leads to this unproductive spot.
Not much else to say but David and I both thought Dempsey who was doing modified training with Myers looks much bigger in the upper body his year.

Thanks JM.

Good to hear about them noticing the forwards pushing up too far. It was as big a problem of them pushing up too far and the midfielders not having a target, as it was the defenders pushing up too far and getting caught out on the counter.

Dempsey big in the upper body, we talking shoulders and chest or stomach and chins?

What's going on with Dempsey? I've seen a few pot shot posts about him on Blitz. Talking about skin folds etc. Haven't seen him myself so not sure if you're kidding. We really need him in the team and firing so am a bit concerned about your posts guys. Any more info?

Same, I am only going by some reports on here that suggested he came back not in the shape Bomber would have liked.

I'm not criticizing Dempsey's body shape or condition - Karma Bomber and I both think he has built up his upper body with muscle not fat. Dempsey trained fully early in the pre season and is at training every day and looks like he is making progress but it takes time to get him right and the club would be taking a conservative approach in managing him. 

I'm not criticizing Dempsey's body shape or condition - Karma Bomber and I both think he has built up his upper body with muscle not fat. Dempsey trained fully early in the pre season and is at training every day and looks like he is making progress but it takes time to get him right and the club would be taking a conservative approach in managing him.

Didn't think you were criticizing him with your post Jackie, others have really been giving it to him which had me wondering. So, just to clarify, he looks fit? And uninjured?

Dempsey is as important to us as anybody on our list outside Jobe IMO, So the conservative road makes a lot of sense to me, I would expect him to take part in one of our next 2 games as sub at least.

would like to see Demps sport a pony tail.

Sorry if it came across that way JM, no one is actually questioning your reports or statements, when I said "reports" I meant it in a general way as in comments/quotes/tweets etc, not specifically the training reports.

Some people were saying he came back a bit out of shape, just wanted to clarify when you said he looked like he bulked up. Some times when someone bulks up you can see a bit of a gut happening. Dempsey is vital for us so if he is overweight/unfit that hurts us.

Didn't think you were criticizing him with your post Jackie, others have really been giving it to him which had me wondering. So, just to clarify, he looks fit? And uninjured?

He's been injured that's what I meant by  a conservative approach.  He did full training in the early pre season but has missed weeks and weeks recently.  He is improving but I would doubt his readiness for round one but I'm only guessing.  Basically I don't report on injuries but its been no secret that he has been in the modified group for some time.

He's been injured that's what I meant by  a conservative approach.  He did full training in the early pre season but has missed weeks and weeks recently.  He is improving but I would doubt his readiness for round one but I'm only guessing.  Basically I don't report on injuries but its been no secret that he has been in the modified group for some time.

Thanks again for the update Jackie. And now, everyone who has been giving him grief, lay off!

Thee seems to be no mention of Kommer? Has he been training? Thanks in advance

Thee seems to be no mention of Kommer? Has he been training? Thanks in advance

Hasn't trained recently but before that he has had a good pre season.

Myers Dempsey both injured? Melksham Kommer too? Thought it was only tbc? Looks like 5/best 22.

Well as JM said, it was a light session for most of the players, with jogging in groups to start with and a fairly relaxed atmosphere so...

Yep, Melk was there. He's the one with the cap and the whip!

Not sure what you've got hold of Benny but it sure amuses Jakey!

"See guys, that's how many disposals I got on Monday!"

Thanks Jackie for the training update and karma for the pix and the fine attempts at humorous captions.

.....and then to the left forward pocket and practice at bananas with Bomber on the 5 metres testing their concentration

Hooker showing his goal shooting versatility.

Even Gregory can do it.

"Yes it's tough Buddha but you'll practice 'til you get it right!"

Bomber remarked to Hurls that rather than trying to perfect goal kicking from the forward pocket, he wanted him to be kicking them from outside 50 on the run.

For those getting worried, Dempsey & Myers didn't look all that far away from re-joining their teammates.

When Ambrose masters the team's running patterns he will provide a strong body option to our forward line.

Rayner's doing all that's asked of him at present. Could be a smokey to surprise with consistent early performances in the VFL team.

So glad they're now in the same team!

Tayte will need to grab every opportunity to impress if he plays next Tuesday.

Young Orazio doesn't mind the "long bomb" when the opportunity presents.

Edwards....in the frame for a run next Tuesday.

Brendan's back and rarin' to play.

Great pics mate, cheers. Good to see Myers and Dempsey getting more involved…gradually.

He's been injured that's what I meant by a conservative approach. He did full training in the early pre season but has missed weeks and weeks recently. He is improving but I would doubt his readiness for round one but I'm only guessing. Basically I don't report on injuries but its been no secret that he has been in the modified group for some time.
Thanks again for the update Jackie. And now, everyone who has been giving him grief, lay off!

You are off your chops.
I read every post and I can not recall one single post that anyone has given him grief!!!
Please do share ALL these posts or even just one that you mention.
He's been injured that's what I meant by a conservative approach. He did full training in the early pre season but has missed weeks and weeks recently. He is improving but I would doubt his readiness for round one but I'm only guessing. Basically I don't report on injuries but its been no secret that he has been in the modified group for some time.
You are off your chops.
I read every post and I can not recall one single post that anyone has given him grief!!!
Please do share ALL these posts or even just one that you mention.
Sorry, don't know how to quote from other threads, but if you really want to trawl back through the training thread from 12/2/14, someone was talking about his skin folds not being acceptable and someone else mentioned that Bomber may not have been happy with the way he came back after the break and implied he wasn't training hard enough. Had me concerned because I think Dempsey is such an important player for us. Wasn't 100% sure if they were kidding at first as I wouldn't have thought Dempsey would have problems with skin folds.
Anyway, as a matter of interest, I still may be off my chops.