Training Wednesday 7/5/14

Training in mild, cloudy conditions at Tullamarine.

All the training took place on the McCracken Oval today. Winderlich, Bellchambers and Jetta were among the absentees today but I can’t read anything in particular into this. However with the club’s conservative injury policy I wouldn’t expect Tommy to play until after the bye. I thought he still appeared a little hampered in the VFL game.

It seems to me that the players are over the difficulties of the Freo game and seemed to have more energy today.

The emphasis today was on structures at stoppages and in the forward line with an emphasis on correct execution of skills and moving the ball quickly. “Keep your feet moving boys.”

There is always a contradiction between executing ball movement under little pressure and what happens under match conditions.

e.g. Practicing clearances with a group of just ten players with only one ruckman and little tackling and the scrums of 15 or 16 players that we witnessed against Footscray.

Or again moving the ball into a forward line where forwards can keep their structure whereas in a match the backs would push up the ground and the forwards would follow them into one half of the ground.

The drills today had the theoretical benefit of reinforcing ideal game plan movements and practicing foot and hand skills but of course were not carried out under a great deal of pressure. To strike a balance perhaps they should reduce the size of the area being used to make it more crowded and if you don’t want players injured with full on tackling have extra defenders to simulate a pressure situation.

One highlight today was when Zaharakis streamed down field and kicked a long “ANZAC” goal to the delight of his teammates and the spectators but then a coach said “Did you look upfield?” This was not necessarily a criticism but instant feedback about a situation that could arise on game day which he needed to consider - especially as Carlisle was looking for a pass in the forward line.

The search for “spies” is part of training every week with one airport worker on a break parked opposite the ground being quizzed as to his intentions. I was told that there is a protocol between AFL clubs that if a person is a spy he has to admit it if quizzed and leave the ground. A bit like trying to organise a ceasefire in Syria but most things seem to be done with good humour and courtesy.

Training has finished and I imagine the players are tucking into Dustin’s big birthday cake - I’m sure we all wish him a happy birthday.

Thanks Jackie, I look forward to these reports every week. It is always interesting to read your reports then see how the game plays out knowing what we have trained for.

Thanks JM

Energy......what's been missing.

If we play how we train, I expect to win on Sat-far superior side on paper.

Thanks JM

They ate cake?

mmmmm cake

Chances of Zaka spotting a free fwd when he himself is in goal scoring range slim...  Looking upfield to him is back of 2nd tier of stand through the goals. 

Blitz's World View

Leroy Jetta doesn't kick enough goals.

David Zaharakis is selfish in front of goals.

Not a dig at your Speedy, just pointing out how we all so often criticize one player for a perceived flaw and other players for the exact opposite.

Enjoyed the report.

Maybe they need to play a massive game British Bulldog each week to improve their clearance skills and work around the pack.

Blitz's World View

Leroy Jetta doesn't kick enough goals.

David Zaharakis is selfish in front of goals.

Not a dig at your Speedy, just pointing out how we all so often criticize one player for a perceived flaw and other players for the exact opposite.

I thought Speedy was being positive...

Training in mild, cloudy conditions at Tullamarine.
All the training took place on the McCracken Oval today. Winderlich, Bellchambers and Jetta were among the absentees today but I can't read anything in particular into this. However with the club's conservative injury policy I wouldn't expect Tommy to play until after the bye. I thought he still appeared a little hampered in the VFL game.
It seems to me that the players are over the difficulties of the Freo game and seemed to have more energy today.
The emphasis today was on structures at stoppages and in the forward line with an emphasis on correct execution of skills and moving the ball quickly. "Keep your feet moving boys."
There is always a contradiction between executing ball movement under little pressure and what happens under match conditions.
e.g. Practicing clearances with a group of just ten players with only one ruckman and little tackling and the scrums of 15 or 16 players that we witnessed against Footscray.
Or again moving the ball into a forward line where forwards can keep their structure whereas in a match the backs would push up the ground and the forwards would follow them into one half of the ground.
The drills today had the theoretical benefit of reinforcing ideal game plan movements and practicing foot and hand skills but of course were not carried out under a great deal of pressure. To strike a balance perhaps they should reduce the size of the area being used to make it more crowded and if you don't want players injured with full on tackling have extra defenders to simulate a pressure situation.
One highlight today was when Zaharakis streamed down field and kicked a long "ANZAC" goal to the delight of his teammates and the spectators but then a coach said "Did you look upfield?" This was not necessarily a criticism but instant feedback about a situation that could arise on game day which he needed to consider - especially as Carlisle was looking for a pass in the forward line.
The search for "spies" is part of training every week with one airport worker on a break parked opposite the ground being quizzed as to his intentions. I was told that there is a protocol between AFL clubs that if a person is a spy he has to admit it if quizzed and leave the ground. A bit like trying to organise a ceasefire in Syria but most things seem to be done with good humour and courtesy.
Training has finished and I imagine the players are tucking into Dustin's big birthday cake - I'm sure we all wish him a happy birthday.

Just as an add-on, Jackson Merrett took part in full training and did not appear hampered by the weekend "corky".

Hope they got Tiff to jump out of the cake....

Ambrose training with the AFL side?

Hope they got Tiff to jump out of the cake....

What are you trying to do?  Give the old man a heart attack!??!

Ambrose training with the AFL side?

YES and looking good but maybe didn't do enough in the VFL to get a call up this week.
Also, I didn't mention before that both Gleeson and Gregory joined in full training. Gleeson certainly looks ready after a week's rest if a slot becomes available - maybe in place of Winders or if Winders plays then Ashby may lose his spot?

Where the hell is Fraser at?? 

Myers' minor tweak holding him out?

any Hams or Kommer news....still 2-3 weeks away as per club website for the last 15 or so weeks?

Where the hell is Fraser at?? 

Myers' minor tweak holding him out?

any Hams or Kommer news....still 2-3 weeks away as per club website for the last 15 or so weeks?

I suggest that the club would be looking to bring players back through the VFL after the bye.

In the case of Kommer it is a toss up whether he returns this season or has an operation.