Training Wednesday 8/1/14

Thanks JM!

Sorry to bombard you with another question but how does Hurley look early on?

I know it is hard to gauge right now just how well a player is tracking but in his 6th year I think a lot of people are going to have big expectations on him to be a real weapon at whatever end of the ground he is put.

Personally love him and think he has almost the most potential out of any other player on the list in terms of what he can do on a football field, just needs confidence and consistency.

Thankyou in advanced!

I don't mind you asking questions.

I haven't really watched Hurley very closely so I can't say a lot.

He looks to be in splendid physical shape - I thought there was great definition in his upper body shape today.

His wrists are still taped and I think that despite a number of operations I suspect he will always have a problem marking overhead or out in front.  I sat next to his dad at the Crichton Medal two years ago and he seemed to feel this would be the case but maybe its different since his last operation.

Hurley is possibly the most overrated player at the club.  This is not his fault in any way but partly stems from the club seeing him as a potential marquee player and a match a couple of years ago when he kicked two brilliant goals with alternate feet from fifty metres out - I think it was against St.Kilda.

At the moment I get the impression that he is concentrating very hard on learning to fit in with the defensive structure and that he is basically destined to replace Carlisle who will move forward.

In terms of his potential I know what you mean you get the feeling he is big and strong and he could be anything.  If you look at the evidence of the past the picture is less rosy:

- constantly injured affecting his ability to play a lot of games in a row and his overhead marking.

- generally starts quietly when returning from injury then improves as he strings a few games together.

- average forward based on the number of goals kicked and a tendency to lead into the pocket.  (I think Bomber is working on this with all the forwards and trying to get them leading to a better position than the boundary line.)

- there is an assumption that he has played some limited footy on the backline and went all right so he is a natural backman and will be good.

This is Bomber's opinion as far as I can tell and I believe that he and Hird disagreed strongly over Hurley back or forward.

- I don't think there is enough evidence either way to say how he will perform on the backline but it is probably reasonable to surmise that he wiil find it easier.

- bear in mind that he will be coached in the backline by Egan not Wellman and that Egan did little to develop his game when he was forward coach.  There is an assumption that because Egan was a very good backman he will therefore be a good backline coach but there is no evidence either way for this at present.

Thanks Jackie  M   -  great job as usual .

Forward or back lets hope Hurley  finally has an injury free season and becomes the player most believe he can be .

Is it just me or does Ambrose have a bit of the Sylvia’s about him in his face and physique?

Time trial results:

1. Rayner
  2. Ambrose
  3. Stanton
  4. Hocking
  5. Aylett
  6. Browne
  7. Colyer
  8. Zaharakis
  9. Kavanagh

Is it just me or does Ambrose have a bit of the Sylvia's about him in his face and physique?

Reckon he's a fair bit taller than Sylvia but certainly similar in the face department

Time trial results:
1. Rayner
2. Ambrose
3. Stanton
4. Hocking
5. Aylett
6. Browne
7. Colyer
8. Zaharakis
9. Kavanagh

Go Kav! My boy!

Geez Stants relegated to 3rd!!

Rayner winning to be expected but that is fkn impressive from Ambrose.

Wasn't it said when he was drafted that he ran something like a 16-17 beep test?
If so it was only a matter of time until he started to have an impact.
Sounds like he could play next season and have an impact already.
He would be my pick to get a taste of senior footy first out of all our new recruits.

Thank you, Jackie! I love your reports :)

Time trial results:
1. Rayner
2. Ambrose
3. Stanton

Crameri who?

Wasn't it said when he was drafted that he ran something like a 16-17 beep test?
He would be my pick to get a taste of senior footy first out of all our new recruits.
Yep massive tank.
Have to agree. If we aren't going to play Carlisle, Belly, Daniher together for fear of being too tall//lack of mobility at ground level then Ambrose has to be a very strong chance to be elevated early on and take that vacant 3rd tall spot. Doing himself no harm with performances on the track.
Amazing we landed a replacement so quickly for what appeared to be such a unique player in terms of size and running capacity in Crameri.

Yep massive tank.
Have to agree. If we aren't going to play Carlisle, Belly, Daniher together for fear of being too tall//lack of mobility at ground level then Ambrose has to be a very strong chance to be elevated early on and take that vacant 3rd tall spot. Doing himself no harm with performances on the track.
Amazing we landed a replacement so quickly for what appeared to be such a unique player in terms of size and running capacity in Crameri.

Also was relatively unknown to almost all Blitzers bar the guys who follow and watch the ressies regularly.

Time trial results:
1. Rayner
2. Ambrose
3. Stanton
4. Hocking
5. Aylett
6. Browne
7. Colyer
8. Zaharakis
9. Kavanagh

Good to see some of the younger/fringe blokes up there.  Colyer, Browne, Kav and even Aylett should be pushing to become senior regulars this year, or at least putting pressure on the blokes in the ones. 

Wouldn't get too excited about Rayner or Ambrose quite yet.  Rayner hasn't played footy for years, and Ambrose wasn't evene a regular in the VFL bests last year.  Give them a little time...

Time trial results:
1. Rayner
2. Ambrose
3. Stanton
4. Hocking
5. Aylett
6. Browne
7. Colyer
8. Zaharakis
9. Kavanagh

Good to see some of the younger/fringe blokes up there.  Colyer, Browne, Kav and even Aylett should be pushing to become senior regulars this year, or at least putting pressure on the blokes in the ones. 

Wouldn't get too excited about Rayner or Ambrose quite yet.  Rayner hasn't played footy for years, and Ambrose wasn't evene a regular in the VFL bests last year.  Give them a little time...

Good to see Zaka there as well backing up his earlier time trial.  I'm sure he's never been prominent in these before, of course last year was understandable with his injuries.

Bit of a concern that O'Brien has dropped off.  That seemed to be one of his biggest assets so far.  Anyone know if he's injured?

Has Hocking been in the top 5 in every time trial this pre season ?

If so he must be having his best yet.

Time trial results:
1. Rayner
2. Ambrose
3. Stanton
4. Hocking
5. Aylett
6. Browne
7. Colyer
8. Zaharakis
9. Kavanagh

Good to see some of the younger/fringe blokes up there. Colyer, Browne, Kav and even Aylett should be pushing to become senior regulars this year, or at least putting pressure on the blokes in the ones.
Wouldn't get too excited about Rayner or Ambrose quite yet. Rayner hasn't played footy for years, and Ambrose wasn't evene a regular in the VFL bests last year. Give them a little time...
Good to see Zaka there as well backing up his earlier time trial. I'm sure he's never been prominent in these before, of course last year was understandable with his injuries.
Bit of a concern that O'Brien has dropped off. That seemed to be one of his biggest assets so far. Anyone know if he's injured?

Reckon he didn't appear at all today along with Jetta and Thurlow but could be wrong.

Has Hocking has been in the top 5 in every time trial this pre season ?

You have to love him. You know exactly what you will get from him every game which is 150% and will never die wondering.
Every pack you can guarantee he is the bloke at the bottom of it scrapping.
Huge part of our midfield and we lose so much grunt and aggression when he doesn't play.
Very determined and motivated player.

Serious question: How did Dell go for those that attended?

My lovechildren Dell and Stein set to have huge years before being elevated to leadership group in 2015

You have to love him. You know exactly what you will get from him every game which is 150% and will never die wondering.
Huge part of our midfield and we lose so much grunt and aggression when he doesn't play.

I have always thought of Hocking as a physical beast that could lift a Datsun 180B over his head but I never thought he had the aerobic capabilities he is showing now...........
Determined and professional.

I have always thought of Hocking as a physical beast that could lift a Datsun 180B over his head but I never thought he had the aerobic capabilities he is showing now...........
Your right Black Kav, very determined.

Only noticed Dell once but that was only because it was hard to pick up everyone when there were 2 ovals going at once. The time I did see him he snapped an excellent curling goal. Would love to give you more but that’s it unfortunately. Saw a lot of Steinberg and gotta say he looked very polished. Hopefully this is his year because he certainly appears to have all the necessary tools. I commented that he looks too good to be a rookie.