Travel Thread

looks like a trip to Bangkok is in order , the missus getting a BOOB job :blink: ! so i guess ill tag along for some cold Chang Special and a week of awesome curry ;)

On a serious note though i wonder how much the travel insurance would be for such a mission?

As an aside if you or your kids need any dental work, get it done while you are there too at a fraction of what it costs in Oz. 

■■■■■■ hips were playing up again recently so just out of interest I googled the foreign operation options and was surprised by the number of Westerners who said that not only was the foreign operation extraordinarily cheaper but that the level of service and care was far superior to the home options, and that included several Australians.

Anyone here have first or second hand knowledge of hip ops overseas?

I was particularly interested to note the positive reponses to Indian hospitals.

Singapore…seriously. It’s like all the meh stuff from the east meets the meh stuff from the west. Not like Asia at all, none of the locals smile, no one looks like they are having fun, it’s like Disneyland without all the rides and fat Americans.

Qantas club at the airport is pretty sweet though.

I'll be in the South Island of NZ in January with wife & daughter.

After finishing the Queen Charlotte Sound Walk in Picton we have 8 full days before flying out of Queenstown on day 9. 

Any thoughts on the best route south?

West Coast via the glaciers?

Or East / central via Mt Cook?

looks like a trip to Bangkok is in order , the missus getting a BOOB job :blink: ! so i guess ill tag along for some cold Chang Special and a week of awesome curry ;)
On a serious note though i wonder how much the travel insurance would be for such a mission?

I doubt they'd touch it.
Big big risks.
I'm sure the level of care is fine (staff are cheap comparatively)... but I'd be worried about your rights if things go wrong, I'd be worried about materials used, sterilisation of the joint etc which could cause things to go wrong.
FYI I work in hospitals (mostly private).

Well I can only comment on what we did across a 6 week trip:

Flew into Mex City.

In Mex city used the Metro & taxis & did a couple of day tours organised through the hotel. 

Flew to Guatemala City.

Stayed in Antigua.

Did a few side trips organised through local agents (e.g. to Lake Atitlan, Chichicastenango, Day of Dead kites festival at Santiago Sacetepecuez). 

Bus to Tikal.

Flight to Cancun (good transport hub, but get the hell out).

In Yucatan stayed in Playa del Carmel, Valladolid and Merida using local buses to get between.

Flight to Havana.

Stayed Havana, Trinidad, Santa Clara?, Vinales using tourist & local buses.

So yeah,bottom line - if you have the time it is easy to organise things while you are there either through local agents or using public transport.  Public transport can mean anything from chicken buses to luxury coaches aimed at tourists depending on the route & the depth of your pockets. 

As I say, Mexico is great! 

Do you feel safe Gnik?

Would you take kids?

Singapore...seriously. It's like all the meh stuff from the east meets the meh stuff from the west. Not like Asia at all, none of the locals smile, no one looks like they are having fun, it's like Disneyland without all the rides and fat Americans.
Qantas club at the airport is pretty sweet though.

Depends what you are after.

For me the kids loved Singapore.

Flew into Mex City.

In Mex city used the Metro & taxis & did a couple of day tours organised through the hotel. 

Flew to Guatemala City.

Stayed in Antigua.

Did a few side trips organised through local agents (e.g. to Lake Atitlan, Chichicastenango, Day of Dead kites festival at Santiago Sacetepecuez). 

Bus to Tikal.

In Yucatan stayed in Playa del Carmel, Valladolid and Merida using local buses to get between.

Flight to Havana.

So yeah,bottom line - if you have the time it is easy to organise things while you are there either through local agents or using public transport.  Public transport can mean anything from chicken buses to luxury coaches aimed at tourists depending on the route & the depth of your pockets. 

Do you feel safe Gnik?

Would you take kids?

We went pre-kids, but yeah, for sure.  In fact my wife often talks about going back with our daughter.

Like any big city, there are no-go areas in Mex City & you need to take care, esp. at night.  There was a heavy (almost military) security presence in the banks which was a bit worrying.  But we stayed off the Zocolo, wandered the streets & took the Metro around no probs.

Yucatan was fine.  The Carribean beaches are beautiful, but full of Yanks, so we enjoyed heading inland & towards the Gulf (Valladolid, Merida etc.) to get away.  Given the amount of tourists, there are probably lots of family oriented attractions on the Carribean coast, but that wasn't our bag at the time.

You thinking of going?

My trip to the USA is going well!

Haven't really been to visit many places but the summer and the beach in SD has been amazing.

Quick q - later in the year I'm going to go to Vegas to visit the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon. For those that have been how many days would you need for each? 1 for the Hoover Dam and 1 for each rim of the Canyon?

Got a "job" at a hostel in San Diego right on Pacific Beach which is hella awsome.

Haven't really been to visit many places but the summer and the beach in SD has been amazing.

Quick q - later in the year I'm going to go to Vegas to visit the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon. For those that have been how many days would you need for each? 1 for the Hoover Dam and 1 for each rim of the Canyon?

ive been there before, heck im going there again in November!

i reckon you could do it as a tour if you only want a day or so, either by bus, or even better chopper. i drove across the dam, but i didnt consider touring into it. i never went down into the GC, but i droe around it for a week or so, and flew over it. you could spend a day driving and i dont know that you would really be able to see both sides of it.

if you have time, and possibly a travel buddy, i would recommend a 5-7 days outside Vegas you could see GC, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and maybe even Monument valley.

Odds are I will drive from San Diego with some peeps.

I'm driving to San Fran mid-Nov for 4-5 days then I'll go to Vegas some time before xmas.

Teed up to stay with a girl on a Costa Rican beach for New Years which should be pretty sweet!

Flew into Mex City.

Flew to Guatemala City.

Stayed in Antigua.

Bus to Tikal.

Flight to Havana.

Do you feel safe Gnik?

Would you take kids?

We went pre-kids, but yeah, for sure.  In fact my wife often talks about going back with our daughter.

Like any big city, there are no-go areas in Mex City & you need to take care, esp. at night.  There was a heavy (almost military) security presence in the banks which was a bit worrying.  But we stayed off the Zocolo, wandered the streets & took the Metro around no probs.

Yucatan was fine.  The Carribean beaches are beautiful, but full of Yanks, so we enjoyed heading inland & towards the Gulf (Valladolid, Merida etc.) to get away.  Given the amount of tourists, there are probably lots of family oriented attractions on the Carribean coast, but that wasn't our bag at the time.

You thinking of going?

Just looking for the next thing.

Did Bali and Lombok.

Did Japan last year which both the adults and kids loved.

Living in Darwin now and have already smashed Kakadu and driven to Broome and back via the Gibb River Road.

Going to Philippines and Singapore before Christmas.

So next year looking for another adventure. Been to Mexico and really enjoyed it (Before kids) but never felt 100% safe.

Got a "job" at a hostel in San Diego right on Pacific Beach which is hella awsome.

ive been there before, heck im going there again in November!

i reckon you could do it as a tour if you only want a day or so, either by bus, or even better chopper. i drove across the dam, but i didnt consider touring into it. i never went down into the GC, but i droe around it for a week or so, and flew over it. you could spend a day driving and i dont know that you would really be able to see both sides of it.

if you have time, and possibly a travel buddy, i would recommend a 5-7 days outside Vegas you could see GC, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and maybe even Monument valley.

I did Hoover and Grand Canyon in 2 days.

Then straight to the loose slots.

Flew into Mex City.

Flew to Guatemala City.

Stayed in Antigua.

Bus to Tikal.

Flight to Havana.

Do you feel safe Gnik?

Would you take kids?

You thinking of going?

Just looking for the next thing.

Did Bali and Lombok.

Did Japan last year which both the adults and kids loved.

Living in Darwin now and have already smashed Kakadu and driven to Broome and back via the Gibb River Road.

Going to Philippines and Singapore before Christmas.

So next year looking for another adventure. Been to Mexico and really enjoyed it (Before kids) but never felt 100% safe.

Go to Cuba before the Americans & creeping homogenisation.

again. Kids ok?

again. Kids ok?

I would have thought so.  Cuba is like a salsa party inside a police state.  So fairly controlled.  There is a sub-culture of sleazy, fat Germans hooking up with local girls which can be a bit ugly.  And plenty of irritating touts dodging the police trying to sell cigars etc.  And parts of Havana look seriously run-down.  But I don't remember feeling threatened at all.

We stayed in local's homes (Casa Particulares) which was a great cross-cultural experience.  Otherwise its government run hotels that are best avoided (Fawlty Towers with Manuel in charge).

There was a dual economy where tourists were funnelled into spending US$ on accom & transport, but I think this may have changed (we were there in 2000).

But its unique, atmospheric, friendly & lots of fun.  Proud people.  Cult of Che everywhere.  Mojitos, Mojitos, Mojitos.  Great music all day, everywhere.

So a great cultural experience.  Would kids appreciate this?  Depends on the kid I guess.

Its easily combined with a trip to the Yucatan, which is well geared to kids. 

I like my job

One and a half hour flight from Shanghai to Seoul… One and a half hour ride from airport to hotel. And I thought Tulla was a long way away…

Reminds me of my good old days in PNG.......................................................well,......not really...

A really good time to be out of the country

Europe in October, can’t wait.