Travel Thread

hey, you have a story. That’s something.

“I always thought the stories on your forum were made up, until one day…”

3 Likes

Good time to close this thread.

I have seen some disgusting things in my life, but a “gum wall” seems extreme even for the USA.

1 Like

ending with an n is worse

1 Like

Actually know blokes in Texas who have gun walls. Rifles, shotguns and all sorts of pistols. One has over 600 guns, and proudly shows them off and hands them around to visitors.

Yep probably more disgusting than a gum wall.

2 Likes

VThe gun culture is insane. Been told of pickup trucks driving around in some cities with guns loaded on them. They never left the wild west.

But I like the US a lot. Interesting place to visit. And despite all its bad bits it’s still ahead with the good it does.

First time to Seattle. Kind of like a typical US city on the face of it. Some interesting older bits, and a mix of new stuff to visit like museums and galleries. Has that laid back west coast feel (being on the west coast will do that to a place…).

I did visit the Chihuly garden and glass exhibition - a famous local glass artist who has created some truly amazing glass sculptures.

One of the two parts of the US I’ve never been that near to, the other being Alaska.

Depending in what you want for a visit I’d say it’s worth a look. I’ve only stuck to the downtown area, and there is enough good stuff to see. Out of the city is the nature stuff which is meant to be excellent.

and no shortage of Starbucks… The original one at Pikes Market, from 1901, I believe has a massive queue waiting to get in. I did go to thier Reserve Roastery store, which is an actual roastery (yep like the name suggests - I’m Captain Obvious today) was v.good and more a hipster Melbourne cafe housed in a massive warehouse. Good coffee with interesting surrounds.

Apart from next March’s cruise through the Panama Canal which leaves from LA (San Pedro) and ends in Fort Lauderdale (30km north of Miami), I have no great desire to visit the US while the orange-haired fuckstick resides in Washington.

I may well do a little Michael Connelly tour in LA and have a squiz at the Art Deco strip in Miami but the rest of them can go ■■■■ themselves.

2 Likes

I feel the same way. Brazil also off the list for now. And The Philippines. And half of Eastern Europe. Running out of places that aren’t being run by vile RWNJs sadly.

1 Like

If you’re interested in aviation at all, then I recommend going out to the Boeing Factory for their tour and also The Museum of Flight which is just a short local bus trip from the centre of town.

Enjoy that to the MAX.

It really seems as if Boeing are cutting a lot of corners and getting it by the authorities, who are almost certainly unofficially on the Booeing payroll.

Chichuly is amazing. Loved that place. Some of those installations are insane.

While you were there did you check out the EMP museum? They had a Hendrix as well as a Nirvana/grunge exhibit when I was there as well as horror/sci fi movie exhibit and they all were excellent.

Really pretty dowtown area, and if you get a sunny day a harbour cruise is a great activity. Also had a ball wandering around the markets and the Bill Spiedel underground tour is a great way to learn the history of the city.

2 Likes

Just read they call EMP MoPOP now. Went there the year after it opened on a day trip from Vancouver. Great museum back in 2001, I assume it still is.

When we were in Seattle years ago we did the ‘under the city’ tour. It was good fun and really interesting. A great way to learn the history of the city.

2 Likes

I’ve booked to go to Iran in Nov/Dec. Hope it still there then!

No RWNJ’s there, only RNJs

1 Like

RWNJ’s and RNJ’s are often one and the same

Good luck. Not with your visit in Iran - you will have a great time. The problem could be if you ever want to go the US you may have problems. Especially with the current Cheetos-In-Chief and his cronies with their mindset. Mem Fox (who wrote the children’s book Possum Magic) was treated appallingly by US immigration just because she had been invited to a writers’ conference in Iran.

Yeah it’s funny, I’m interested in visiting the US but my wife has no interest at all so apart from a couple of stop overs on RTW tickets we have seen next to nothing of the US