Travel Thread

Try having a vegetarian wife and trying to find food in Poland or in Japan.

1 Like

I have a vegetarian wife. We haven’t traveled but true some countries are more challenging than others. Vegan/vegetarian food is becoming more popular for a range of reasons, but you need to plan ahead. Depending where you are going it can be easier to think about eating at restaurants/cuisines that do veg well - middle eastern, Indian. Plus go for the sides - which is the best place to get your dose of greens and veg.

Yeah and this may be snobbish/floggish but when we travel, I make a rule of only eating the local cuisine.
Ie: poland. There are a ton of Italian restaurants here, but there is no way I’m eating at an Italian restaurant in Poland. Same goes for the Indian and Arab restaurant here in poland.
When we get back to italy in a week I’ll just be eating pizza and pasta, no other non-Italian foods.

We haven’t even had a single gelato while here in Poland and I reckon there are more in Poland than there are in Italy

1 Like

I get that fully and I try and do the same. Or did (a lot more easily ) when I ate meat. yep - it’s a lot harder. However you also have to eat.

Done thr first half of the Auschwitz tour.

Sheesh

Met couple of Aussies on the tour, one is a bombers man. Good stuff

2 Likes

Don’t forget to get the souvenir T-shirt

1 Like

T-shirt that says “I went to Auschwitz and SURVIVED” ?

Edit - will delete this if in poor taste.

2 Likes

Yah, it’s incredible the items that the Nazis collected from the victims… I mean, who’s going to re-use some of those things??

There were a heap of Israeli paramilitaries there when i went. 20 or so. Maybe it’s part of their induction.

I didn’t find Dachau nearly as confronting as Auschwitz…mainly because it wasn’t a full-scale extermination camp.

The room with all the human hair was the breaking point for me

The crematorium at Dachau was not great viewing.
The bloom soaked tiles at Mauthausen and the smell of death was sickly also. Both camps paled in comparison to Auschwitz though

Could barely handle the house of Anne Frank. Hate to think what these places were like.

What really strikes you about Auschwitz is the sheer scale of it when you visit the main camp (Auschwitz II) and see the rows and rows of housing for the prisoners.

25 times the size of Auschwitz I. Just took over the land from the polish farmers and built the houses quickly to put the slaves in. 12 hours work a day, fed them only rotten potatoes and turnips at night. They turned over all the soil so the grass wouldn’t grow so they couldn’t even eat that.

Is this the menu of the place AN was referring to? Budapest restaurant?

yep the one in Elsternwick

There are substantial discounts on schnitzels (except the vegetarian ones) before about 7 (I think) on a particular day (Tuesday?) About $16.

I thought Auschwitz II was gone. Is that the one with the famous railway line headed to the gates with Arbeit Macht Frei?

I think we only went to the smaller one.

Yeah, that’s the one I went to years ago. Birkenau?