Travel Thread

Anybody have any tips for sicily in September? Back home grand final morning just in case woosha makes magic happen.
Thanks

1 Like

It can be very hot, I was there in an early September and it was over 40 for about 5 days in a row, but dry heat and ok in the shade.

Fantastic place, great food, lovely people, not a great deal of English spoken but the locals try really hard to understand us barbarians.

It is a bit less that half the size of Tassie and has 5 million people, most living on the sea side in Palermo or the coast from Catania to Syracuse. Lovely place most of the year, but take a sunhat and sunscreeen

1 Like

Or go up into the mountains to a lovely little village like Erice where the streets are paved with marble.

2 Likes

Stay on the east side. Go to the volcano, also a nice garden there. We stayed in taormina, great little town with excellent food.
Make sure you hire a car

1 Like

Thanks for the tips guys!

Going to Auschwitz tomorrow. I reckon I might add to the final number if I get a seppo on our tour.

It is a somber place and I found no-one really talks that much.

In reflection, although it shocked and depressed me, it was worth the effort to see and feel what humans actually do to each other.

Take care and look after yourself.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s not good. Out of the 3 camps we have been too it was probably the one I felt uneasy in the most. Quite sickening really.

When we were in Europe recently we went to TerezĆ­n in Czech Republic which was a Nazi Camp and Prison. It is actually a walled Town and it could be a really beautiful place. I swear I could hear the ghosts and the place has a feel like watching a horror movie. There is a school building where all the children were housed and it is now a Museum with the drawings from the kids during their time in this place. While it was just frightful, I could not stop looking at all the drawings and seeing them through the childrenā€™s eyes. There was also large cemetery and a massive cremation house which was ā€œautomatedā€ to bodies in and ashes out of the place quickly.

I cannot understand how anyone could actually live there now.

That was my reaction alsoā€¦Iā€™d previously been to Mauthausen and Dachau but after seeing Auschwitz, I doubt that I will ever go to another one of those places.

In Germany, sausages for lunch in a roll, Pork Knuckles for dinner.
In Budapest you canā€™t beat plain Langos with salt or garlic (try upstairs at the Market) any Gulyas & the stuffed cabbage

Now I have a hankering for Wiener schnitzel. Nothing on the plate except for a schnitzel bigger than your head with a piece of lemon. No need for anything else.

You sure you quoting the right plane here? The A350 is a new plane.

Yep Iā€™m sure. They have 10 A350ā€™s in their fleet and their first 5 which first came into service 4 years ago have a staggered 1-2-1 seating configuration and these are inferior IMO. The latest 5 they have purchased have the 1-2-1 reverse herringbone Zodiac seating which is a huge improvement over the ā€œolderā€ ones. These aircraft commenced just under a year ago and are used on the Australian routes regularly but can be subbed at short notice. The older seats feel a lot more cramped and are not as comfortable. If you are in the older seats make sure you get a genuine window seat

1 Like

Budapest Restaurant opposite Elsternwick Station.

Every sort of schnitzel you can imagine, and some of them fit your criteria.

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t find a vegetarian schnitzel.

Did you mean to post this is in the flog thread?

2 Likes

giphy

Iā€™d avoid Argentinean restaurants too, if I were you.

1 Like

true - in Buenos Aires it was beef or more beef

1 Like