Travel Thread

If you don’t have time constraints I’d always recommend hiring a car if possible

1 Like

The homelessness never bothered me really, it’s the very slick and very professional thieves that are the issue. They’ll look largely like everyone else. . Travelling with Europeans over there, they can generally spot them in the crowd, but I’m totally ignorant. Just have everything as attached to you as possible, most thefts are when people leave their hand bags on top of a suitcase or something, simple distraction to the left of you and someone on the right comes and grabs the handbag.

1 Like

I thought about this but the drivers there are absolutely nuts, not to mention the amount of cyclists in major cities. I was scared enough just going around in ubers.

1 Like

One of the scams is to ask the traveller the time and then steal bags or wallets as the traveller checks watch.

I’m yet to find a city in Europe that is troublesome to drive in but everyone is different. I do know plenty that won’t drive in big cities in Europe and will get a taxi out to the airport and pick up a rental car just to drive the countryside and then drop it off out of town at their destination :rofl:

2 Likes

I generally just hate driving in cities so my view is probably a bit biased to begin with, in fairness.

I’ve had a few friends be robbed at or around train stations.

In Rome, a group of people crowd around the doors in the train, you try squeeze past them to get onto the train and take a seat. By the time you’ve sat down, you’re a little lighter and they’ve probably hopped off the train already.

In Amsterdam, a couple were walking out of the train station, both had suitcases, and had their backpacks ontop of the suitcases, wheeling them out of the station. Someone came up on the left of them, sprayed the girlfriend in the face with a spray on cake frosting, whilst that happened someone grabbed the backpack on the suitcase on the right.

Other friend got her phone taken out of her handbag whilst she was browsing sandwiches in a store in the station.

All three are largely avoidable if you make sure you’re not an easy target.

And that’s absolutely understandable. It’s not for everyone that’s for sure

Visit (say) Cairo :sunglasses:

1 Like

The other scam is the false taxi that racks up the dollars.
A lot of airports and large train stations issue warnings and guides on the legitimate ones.

2 Likes

Surely you weren’t scared driving in Cairo :rofl:

3 lane wide roads with 4 lanes of traffic and if you’re not aggressive you will NEVER move.

I let the “professionals” do the driving!

Cheap Ubers and easy 30¢ Metro trips, though.

1 Like

Don’t step on an escalator with a pack on your back. In Rome’s main station I had a guy suddenly cut in as I was stepping on, and stand in front of me so I couldn’t walk up the steps, whilst the partner rifled through pockets of my bag. Thankfully I didn’t have anything valuable in them.

Thanks for the advice everyone! very much appreciated.

Yep, Eurostaring to Paris and then training from Rome to Milan. We are flying from Paris to Rome though which should hopefully be alright.

Nice short 90 minute flight. If you haven’t booked yet then depending on your budget there are several LCC options that are far cheaper than the two main options of Air France and ITA.
EasyJet, Ryanair etc will often have starter fares for $30-50 and with bags, seat selection you can get them for $100-150 whereas AF or ITA will probably be double that which adds up for a family.
The LCC’s will leave from LCC airports which are smaller and often less congested but you need to be aware of that. Most LCC options run from Orly airport which is South of Paris whereas CDG is NE of Paris

Bologna is within striking distance of Milan if you have time- great square and good architecture ( compared to some fascist style in Milan).
In Paris, the Rodin Museum ( his former house and garden) is worth a visit . There is also an Australian connection. The artist John Peter Russell married Rodin’s favourite model ( who features in his sculptures)

1 Like

Don’t know about the Paris/Rome route specifically but don’t many of these LCC flights leave from/land in secondary airports in neighbouring towns? Meaning you can (potentially) be up for a long/expensive/inconvenient transfer at either end.

As with most things in this space you need to do your research and be informed whether you really are getting a good deal.

Good food, too. Including fettuccine al ragu, the original bolognaise

1 Like

Many of the LCC’s use Orly which is actually the closest airport to Paris CBD
Depending where you are staying in Paris makes a difference and affect your decision but on a good day you can get to Orly in 20-25 minutes by taxi.
If you have a family of 4 you could save $600 on airfares with a LCC and the taxi is half price of a CDG fare too.
FWIW Orly still has plenty of full service airline slots so you could still end up out there with Air France or ITA

And home to the Ducati factory & museum if you’re interested. (Tours need to be pre booked)

2 Likes