Travel Thread

If you like coffee, try Cafes el Magnifico at 64 l’Argenteria in El Born - best from 9 weeks in Europe.

Looks like the tour goes through the Gothic Quarter so probably won’t do it on the first day.

PS i’m very partial to coffee.

Just go Full Gaudi. I did.

Maybe El Born for coffee & Picasso museum & then Barceloneta for the beach.
Also worth reading Frank Camora’s Guide to Barcelona for food tips by barrio. You can probably get it from your local library.

Just go Full Gaudi. I did.
Gaudi's on the tour....won't be doing that in my leisure time.

After consideration, probably look at La Boqueria (that’ll be around lunchtime), then maybe the Picasso museum and Barceloneta.

I’ll have to check the Roman history. I know it started as a Carthaginian outpost. Was Hannibal’s father or brother something Barca?

For coffee, we’ll need to check this joint out.

Unfortunately, in London, we’ll be coming early.

You can see extensive Roman ruins under Placa Del Rei in the History Museum. And at El Born Cultural Centre (free).

They’re no Ephesus, but hey, that’s soooo yesterday. Pamukkale, here I come.

You can see extensive Roman ruins under Placa Del Rei in the History Museum. And at El Born Cultural Centre (free).

I want Carthaginian ruins, dammit! Looks like El Born is a must. Afternoon of Day 2, I’d say.

I’d like to see Hannibal there dining on someone with fava beans and chianti.

According to Wikipedia, the story that it was a Carthaginian settlement is subject to a lot of conjecture and not at all verified.

Well if you are going to El Born, Bubo Cake Shop is a few steps from Cafes el Magnifico -
http:bubo.es/en/

(not to be mistken for the Bubo Tapas Bar which is between the two)

We made sure to get up onto the pools nice and early, splash around get a heap of photos., then after looking at the tombs, stadium etc at the top of the hill we came down and they had ‘life guards’ stopping people from touching anything or wading in the pools.

Not much else there though town wise.

Where else you going in turkey?

Fethiye, one day on boat, Antalya, Konya, Cappadocia, Darende, Kahta, Mt Nemrut, back to Istanbul.

Fetch our is a beautiful place. Some great food to be had down at the town centre, and I’m sure the local shopkeepers still rave about the time my wife was in town and able to haggle prices UP rather than down.

I spent about 5 days on a boat along that coast, one of the best travel experiences ever.

You’ll enjoy Cappadocia I reckon, the ballooning is worth it. not sure on the other places, but turkey is such an amazing place, I have no doubt they are worth it.

Food so so good, beer cheap and easy to drink, weather perfect.

off to Tokyo for work in October. If I had a day, or half a day to spare, is there anything I must see/do?

off to Tokyo for work in October. If I had a day, or half a day to spare, is there anything I must see/do?

sex hotel

Fethiye, one day on boat, Antalya, Konya, Cappadocia, Darende, Kahta, Mt Nemrut, back to Istanbul.

What a great trip. Goreme (Cappadocia) is sensational. Can highly recommend Butterfly Balloons although book a flight and then again the following day if you can as the flights are weather dependant. If it gets cancelled and you aren’t booked in the following day you might miss out. Expensive but sensational.
Also, worth taking a local bus to Derinkuyu (underground city) from Goreme.

Great restaurant in Fetiye called Mozaik Bahce, serving Hatay dishes. Turkey is wonderful, enjoy.

It depends what you want to do / experience. With one day it’s hard to narrow down.

But if had to make you run around in one day.

Ueno park to see the autumn colour of the cherry blossoms also a shrine within the grounds.
Sensō-ji to see a traditional temple. Good street for local souvenirs.
Shibuya crossing. The famous crossing pretty much when you see photos of Tokyo. Good shopping area as well (high tech and clothing).
Tokyo Tower. If the weather is good you’ll get to see nice views of Tokyo and Mt Fuji. Skytree is an alternative but it’s a bit out of the way.
Ropponogi. Good meals, great prices on alcohol!

If you’re not too exhausted at that point, go harbour side and see the rainbow bridge on the water.

Alternatives could also be the imperial palace and Tokyo station. Tokyo station you can view all the trains doing their thing but if you like Flinders Street station you’ll really like Tokyo station. Imperial palace is just down the road from Tokyo station.

Thanks soulnet, just gotta confirm the dates and start scoping out those places. Probably just end up wherever the best food is

Went up to Townsville in a motorhome .
A new learning experience for the newbe grey nomad.
Travelled up the Newell quickly to the warm weather of Queensland in early june.
Visited major ports of Bundaberg Gladstone Rockhampton Mackay and Townsville.
People are doing it hard after mining collapse.
Found people very friendly .
Australia is a beautiful country and next trip up that way will go higher to Cooktown to break the record.
Came back down highway no one the Bruce highway through sunshine and gold coast then hume highway.
Favourite place Hervey Bay .
Missed the bombers but saw most games and am proud of our great club.
Great to be home after a huge learning curve.
Cheers to all.

OK guys. India?

Just finishing my degree (Law/Commerce, shout out to my Sorry Saga homeboys) and after 6 years I’m a bit burnt out and in need of a change. I’m thinking of doing a trip to Oneness University (not a real Uni) and doing their 30 day course. http://onenessuniversity.org Then maybe see if I can do some volunteering somewhere. OU is in/near Chennai. Anyone got any suggestions/tips etc even if it’s not about volunteering etc. and just stuff to do before/after I enter the eternal lotus plane of enlightenment?

Cheers