Travel Thread

French are not rude. It's a load of crap.
Except if you are English or have an English accent. They love Aussies and as others have said a few words of French does wonders

Probably, maybe Aussies are too far away to dislike.
Anyway, in the beautiful Krakow at the moment. Last night we ended up at a Jewish festival in Kazimierz. We spent the day at Wielicka Salt Mines to avoid the 32° heat.

Kraków is an awesome city. Great vodka, great nightclubs, beautiful town square. Are you visiting Auschwitz?

Kraków is an awesome city. Great vodka, great nightclubs, beautiful town square. Are you visiting Auschwitz?

Yeah tomorrow. Doing an Italian guided tour actually, hoping there’ll be less people than an English one.
Only annoying thing is they don’t have tramstops, walking distances or any transport integrated into google maps. We have smashed out the km’s here.

In tropea in Calabria at the moment. Legit thought that no one was left in Calabria, thought they all moved to melbourne. Place rocks.

Get to Scilla if you can. Have you got a car?

Get to Scilla if you can. Have you got a car?

Did that in 2013

Nikko: ■■■ like soooooo tote def amaze balls.

(The winner of the Your Photos thread will be posted later: OK, it’s not THAT good, but it was an awesome moment.)

To all travellers, I can warmly recommend Hong Kong airport's First Class Lounge, from whence this post is issued. Cathay does it well.

Is there more room now? Last time I was there it was a very busy place but the shower stalls were excellent.

Yep heaps of room both in the lounge and in its restaurant. Mrs AT liked the Verve champagne lounge.

Lol Capistrano. Literally a town in the mountains and the town so small that all I had to do was ask for one guy and they knew exactly who he was, where he lives and what he was doing at 1:30pm.

So…I’m juggling a FT job + PT study (Environmental Science) + young family. I have an opportunity to head to Nepal Nov-Dec for 4 weeks; Annapurna Conservation Area + Chitwan National Park. More pros than cons at the moment (biggest cons Ss + time off work, but supportive family). Esteemed travellers of Blitz, go or stay? (anyone done similar/part Sherpa?)

Nepal? Do it.
Did the Annapurna Sanctuary / ABC Trek in 2008 - loved it, would do it all again in a heartbeat.
Would family come too?

Spent around 2 weeks in Nepal around 2007, I think. Near the top of our return list if we win tatts. Didn’t do Chitwan or any serious trekking but did a 3 day trek around the Kathmandu valley, Kathmandu itself, Pokhara (a gorgeous place) and the Annapurna region. Wonderful place and cheap as well. We were in India and went on whim. In retrospect we should have spent more time in Nepal and less in India. We’ve been to 30 plus countries, Nepal’s in our top 3.
Posted some hol pics in the Photo thread in late 2014. http://www.bomberblitz.com/discussion/discussion/2105/photos-you-ve-taken/p12

Nice pics GRR. Here are some of mine from Kathmandu, Bhaktapur & Annapurna Sanctuary trek.

Spent around 2 weeks in Nepal around 2007, I think. Near the top of our return list if we win tatts. Didn't do Chitwan or any serious trekking but did a 3 day trek around the Kathmandu valley, Kathmandu itself, Pokhara (a gorgeous place) and the Annapurna region. Wonderful place and cheap as well. We were in India and went on whim. In retrospect we should have spent more time in Nepal and less in India. We've been to 30 plus countries, Nepal's in our top 3. Posted some hol pics in the Photo thread in late 2014. http://www.bomberblitz.com/discussion/discussion/2105/photos-you-ve-taken/p12

I’ve been twice back around 2000. Each time I did a Peregrine trek with one of my sons. Both a little under 3 weeks, so fairly solid. The first was to Annapurna and it was off the main Annapurna Circuit. The second was in the Everest region, to the Gokyo lakes. Both absolutely sensational. If I had to pick one it would be Annapurna. That was in tents all the way and it was freezing cold, but with Peregrine there are porters who carry basically everything for you. They pack up the tents and cooking equipment and everything after you leave in the morning, and overtake you during the day and set up camp for you before you arrive. You only carry a day pack. You walk about 6 hours a day, and as you get higher the atmosphere gets thinner and it’s quite hard, but if you’re healthy and in reasonable condition it’s no problem. I wanted to do as much walking as possible, so I spent a lot of time choosing the trek. Peregrine and World Expeditions are the best for that sort of thing I think. Both my sons loved the trek as well. If you like an active holiday, don’t hesitate, just do it.

Thanks for the responses and pics! Is definitely entrenched on the the to-do list now. No family on this trip, just me. Today I received more info/detail from uni, it seems the as advertised cost isn’t close to the actual cost of the program, so that puts a dampener when I bet could go close to doing it with wife+daughter for the same $s (ok, probably an exaggeration, but still). Anyway, still putting my hand up, see what happen - would still love to go + sounds like I’m not alone on that front. Cheers

Haha!

I found myself on a movie set tonight. They were filming “The Life (sic) of MS Dohni” in our hotel.

I thought it must have been just some news footage taken of MS Dohni coming to some event at the hotel.

Anyway, I was told to get out of shot because I did not look Indian enough.

Racists,

@“David J Richardson” , remember that photo I said I could beat?

This was at Lake Garda in 2014. The sign above is a parking sign that actually says “stopping not allowed”, just for the lolz. Unfortunately I found and even better/worse sign in Amsterdam as it also had someone chucking included.

Anyone spent time wandering around Barcelona. We’ve got say from 11am to 5pm at leisure before the tour starts at 5.45.

No point in worrying about Sagrada Familia or Montjuic - they’ll be included the next day on the tour.

Hotel is near Av Diagonal and Av de Sarria, which seems to be a bit of a hike down to La Rambla - I assume Placa de Catalunya - which probably is a bus trip - then wander along La Rambla and stop off for lunch at La Boqueria, the big market there. It’s opposite the Erotic Museum of Barcelona there…and it’d be a pity to be so close and not check it out, wouldn’t it? I’ve heard Parc Guell is worth a squiz, but I’ll need to check out location etc. Wouldn’t mind having an ice-cream down by the beach in the arvo too.

Got half the next day at leisure too. An optional tour takes in Parc Guell.

We’ve got a full day in Barcelona at the end, and a trip to Figueres and Girona to say “Hello, Dali”, but that’s a long tour (11.5 hrs) and mightn’t be possible.

Covering most of Spain on the tour and need to choose between an optional trip to Segovia or to Toledo on the free day in Madrid. Leaning towards Segovia with the aqueduct and everything but I’ve heard people rave about Toledo too.

Probably looking at a tour of much of southern and western France a year or two later, so if Barcelona is as good as it’s made out to be, might add it in there too.

We stayed in the El Born barrio in Barcelona which is basically an extension of the Gothic Quarter. This is the labyrinthine medieval core of the city & both barrios are well worth a meander. There are heaps of museums (e.g. Picasso - good counterpoint to Dali), cathedrals, Roman wall, Santa Caterina market, good food & coffee. The streets are quite atmospheric if you can get there early - Placa Sant Felip Neri has shrapnel scars from a civil war massacre - and lively later. Its very different from the area you are staying in. Also easy to combine with the beach.

We didn’t like Las Ramblas at all. Spent a night & day in Toledo & found it a bit ho-hum - I’d go for Segovia (not that I’ve been there).

Thanks…I read Shadow of the Wind set in El Gotíc, so that might be interesting. So if we walk to Plaça Catalunya (3km) then go through the wall to El Gotíc and Santa Caterina…probably a 10km walk by the end of it.

Not too interested in other cathedrals - I’m not my mum - and we’ll be doing a few on the trip…Santiaga de Compostela inter al.