Travel Thread

Didn’t really go to a lot of bars but found the beer to be fairly warm at most place. A few great little restaurants around our hotel were selling Yanjing 500ml bottles for 12-15 yuan and they were ice cold so I’d often pop by and grab a couple.
Agree about their coffee being the worst, was utterly horrid. Funnily enough the best one I had was on our final day there at KFC in the Beijing South Railway station. My hotel in Shanghai has a coffee machine that provides decent enough stuff luckily

Seriously. If you’re in China you best be drinking tea.

I went there for work, and was the only Caucasian at all of the meetings. Strangely they offered me coffee while the others drank tea. They came back 10 minutes later “only tea” yep no worries mate “white with one” they came back 10 minutes later again. “Only black, no sugar” once the penny dropped it was great to try a bunch of different tea varieties that you just won’t find in Oz.

I love tea, especially Jasmine tea and some of the fruit teas in China but I like to start the day with a stiff coffee. Drinking a fair bit of the Purea Tea on the travels so far

The main stuff I found in China was the Nescafé sachet of coffee/whitener/sugar. Actually didn’t mind as a Big M type coffee, but yeah a nice real coffee, never saw one.

1 Like

Heaps of Starbucks but their coffee was worse than the stuff I got from Maccas. Almost impossible to find decent stuff.

Went to this place last night

I am very shabby today. Drank some beer and in to a toasting with new Chinese friends I made. Was drinking rocket fuel I think.

I am far too old for this

2 Likes

gan bei!

1 Like

Shanghai Disneyland yesterday and after that needed a few stiff drinks to complete the day. Plenty of good quality bars to be found but im feeling it today.

The Argentine’s love a good statue of a man on a horse, don’t know who they all are, but they are everywhere.

And definitely much, much friendlier if you make the effort and try a few words in Spanish. We saw the contrast side by side a lot of times. But I suppose most places are like that.

Purea tea is a good cleansing tea. Good after you’d had fatty or greasy meals.

Sounds like ■■■■

Have been told that. Apparently its really good for digestion. I quite like the taste of it TBH

1 Like

Went to the Great Wall today, seriously impressive!

Then to Silk Street where IPhone 7 are $300

1 Like

It’s wonderful, which part did you go to? Simatai was not crowded at all when I went, but some hawkers were nightmarish.

Went to Mutianyu

Not crowded! But it is a strenuous walk

I love the hawkers

Only some bits of it are steep…

Yep, was very quiet the day we went aswell but some of the Hawkers just wouldn’t accept no.
Last night in Shanghai before flying out to Xi’an tomorrow arvo

Yeah, this pair of women trying to sell stuff just followed us for ages, we couldn’t even get them out of the frame for photos! I almost lost my cool but told them if they’d go back down they could get us as we were leaving. They agreed with an irritating smile. But we stayed on the wall till so late in the arvo that they’d given up and left by the time we came back down.

Enjoy Xian, the warriors are fantastic.

Checked in at Pudong and Hainan upgraded us to Business for being Fortune Wing members which was a nice surprise. We flew with them business from Sydney to Beijing so maybe that helped

Mutianyu is great.

Do they still have the toboggin fro the downward trip?