Travel Thread

We were in Rio last year, and I have been to São Paulo previously on business. There is lots to see but I am not sure it is worth the time it takes, the cost and the need for constant security.

The falls are fabulous but it takes two or three days out of the holiday to see it all properly as travel and flights are so difficult and disjointed.

1 Like

I think I read on the TA Brazil forum that the visa system is changing for Australians.

We prefer our travel to be slow / hub & spoke, so Brazil is a challenge given you need to stitch together a bunch of internal flights to get any sort of spread.

Yep, we were planning a South American extravaganza based around a conference Mrs Fox was presenting at near Rio, but even travelling economy and no frills it was getting up to $30,000 for here weeks. Getting to Rio was even difficult with poor flight connections and multiple stops.

That said, the Falls were worth the hassle.

Ouch. At the moment, I’m looking at flights around $1800 * 3 Melbourne-Santiago-Sao Paulo and Rio-Santiago-Melbourne. The price is likely to drop to $1500’ish & connections seem OK, so all good there.

I haven’t estimated ground costs yet, but its the logistical hassle and travel fatigue re. the four likely internal flights that concern me -

Sao Paulo to Cuiaba direct for Pantanal.
Cuiaba to Iguassu via SP.
Iguassu to Rio direct.

I’m in Darwin. I saw a billboard for the Essington school. @scotty21 would’ve loved it.

1 Like

How is Vang Vieng these days @GRR ?

When I went eight years ago it was full of p1ssed and/or st0ned 30 and 40-something Aussies and Brits, lounging around in tyre tubes on the river, falling out of their togs in riverside bars dancing to pumping techno music, or staring at endless re-runs of Friends in the bars and restaurants as they tucked into their latest “happy” pizza or milkshake. The countryside was SPECTACULAR but fark me… the place had sold its soul to the tourist dollar good and proper.

I’d heard the authorities were hellbent on tidying up their image, so am keen to know if that’s indeed the case (God knows, they needed to…)

We only stayed the one night and that was primarily to break up the bus trip from Vientiane to LP but other than a little muffled noise it didn’t appear to be the hippy dope den of legend. It is still touristy, albeit easy on the eye. We had intended heading out to the nearby caves which are meant to be worth a look but we were stuffed after a dodgy mini bus ride over 5 hours and the view from the balcony outside our tiny room was so good we sat on our bums and drank beer lao instead. If we go back I wouldn’t mind a few days there to see the caves.

Palawan is amazing and can see how it has earned the “Best Island in the World” tag. Puerto Princesa is a great starting point right from the brass band playing Flamenco music that greets you at the airport. Amazingly cheap food and drinks of a very high quality and the friendliest people you will meet. Popped in the barber this morning for the old cut throat shave and after he finished he gave me a 20 minute head, neck and shoulders massage. Whole lot cost $2.50. The resort we are staying at is simply amazing also. Went to a couple of local beaches today with powdered white sand and crystal clear warm water and tomorrow we are on a day trip to the Underground River. Going to try to get up to El Nido for a day or two but is a solid 5-6 hour drive.
Puerto Princesa Garden Resort

3 Likes

This must be that swamp they’ve been talkin about.

Did you read the issues the Formula One guys are having with robbery in São Paulo. Mirror my experience in my first trip there when I was robbed at gun-point. Probably why I am not keen on retipurning there.

Just don’t go to rio.

Rio is safer than São Paulo

I’m in Scotland at the moment, went to see Inverness Caley Thistle v Falkirk in the IRN BRU cup last night, and Lo and Behold… look what’s on the menu…

The old boy couldn’t help himself. Good for what ails you he said.

Oh, and the Jags got up 1-0, for those of you playing at home.

4 Likes

Cheezus. That would ruin your day. What were the circumstances?

Back in the early 1990’s, in São Paulo on business. Car was stopped by guys with guns, took any money we had and that was it. I had been warned not to carry credit cards or watches, so money was all I lost. They were surprisingly friendly and the local guys with seemed used to it. I did nearly soil my pants though !

A Tourist Visa for Brazil can now to obtained on at a cost of $40 US plus $4.24 commission, plus no longer any need to supply as much info as previously. Just a pic of your passport, a photo and most importantly, a credit card payment. This is massively cheaper than the AUD $216 rip off pre 21 November.

1 Like

Been to Brazil GB?

No. Going to iguasu Falls next March for the day from Argentina. Got my online Brazil visa yesterday

1 Like

Dress down, no expensive jewellery on show no handbags, don’t walk around on your phone; camera not on show, upgrade to limo cars/buses…Our experience around Rio and Brasilia.
If you are flying any distance take a jacket or pullover ( gets very cold at altitude and often no rugs).

1 Like