Tribunal/MRO 2023 & 2024 - Choose your own adventure continues

A suggestion from over here in the west from an ex footballer I thought was good. Not a send off, but if you hit a player and they need to go of for a HIA, then you go off until they can come back on. If they are rubbed out with concussion, you stay on the pine for the rest of the game.

3 Likes

That’s utter rubbish…he could have tackled the guy but chose to line him up instead.

He was lucky to only get three weeks imo.

1 Like

I meant in the context of the bump. I find it surprising that so many people feel that the bump should be kept, yet want to ban people for incidental head contact.

Don’t disagree with McAdam getting 3 weeks. The issue is that Pickett only got 2. That is a MJ absolute disgrace. He’s a very lucky boy.

5 Likes

So a solid shepherd should be reportable?

1 Like

Won’t affect Essendon at all.

But in all seriousness, I think you can block without bumping. Not many ugly bumps (if any in recent times) have come by way of shepherding.

If the AFL have any integrity at all, they will be getting very concerned over the judiciary outcomes.
“Perception is Reality” and even the media are starting to question decisions.
From the weekend: Franklin (superstar) 1 week; Pickett (rising star) 2 weeks; McAdam (who) 3 weeks. A week or so ago Cotchin no case to answer.
Some action needs to be taken.
In addition, for all of those in favour of the send off rule; would you like the umpires to have the power to send players off? They often can’t get basic decisions right and you want to entrust them with that sort of power.

4 Likes
1 Like

Not all the time. As @JBaller92 points out, if you tackle instead of bump when shepherding that would be htm.

Back in 2018 Mitch Honeychurch ran while fumbling the ball (not in possession) with his head down, and ran face-first with an almost stationary Shannon Hurn. Hurn couldn’t tackle him, because Honeychurch wasn’t in possession of the ball. Hurn braced to protect himself for the impending contact. The only alternative was for Hurn to “give way” and squib the contest. Honeychurch was taken from the ground in a neck brace and went straight to hospital for observation, obviously missing the rest of the game, and Hurn was cited for a high bump. Later it was decided that Hurn had no case to answer.

It’s a tough balancing act between player safety, competitiveness around the ball, fair and timely punishments for players who break the rules via umpires\MRO\tribunal, and accountability for players who unreasonably put themselves in danger and contribute to their own high-contact, often with the intention to win a free kick rather than win the ball.

Although the current system has been showing it’s flaws for ages, (as recently as yesterday with (Pickett getting 2 weeks, McAdam getting 3, and “Marquee Player” Franklin, who has form for high bumps, only getting 1, despite all incidences being high contact with the potential to cause injury,) outlawing the bump completely could incentivise players to roll the dice with their health and seek high contact around a contest. I think outlawing the bump would need to be accompanied with some other rules changes\system updates to maintain fairness and competitiveness.

1 Like

You should be able to hit someone with a hip and shoulder if it knocks him off balance in pursuit of the ball, or in shepherding.

But make sure you don’t hit him in the head, or have his head hit the ground.

2 Likes

Simpkin - 1 week
Burton - 2 weeks.
Broad - straight to the Tribunal.

That will make it 3 weeks if upheld (which it will be). Hardwick has flagged they will accept it already.

1 Like

Ballard got a week for hitting Guelfi

1 Like

Really?

I was expecting a fine at worst.

Whateley and King wanted 5 or 6 this morning.

All I saw was “Whateley and King blah blah blah”

1 Like

3 weeks seems fair. I don’t really think it was really worse than the two bumps last week, but they should have got as long/longer.

GOLD Coast defender Charlie Ballard has been banned for a week for striking Essendon’s Matt Guelfi during Sunday’s clash.

The incident occurred during the third quarter of the match, and has been graded as intentional conduct, low impact and high contact.

Ballard cops a week for strike on Guelfi

Gold Coast’s Charlie Ballard has copped a one-week ban for this hit on Essendon’s Matt Guelfi

The Suns said on Monday night they were yet to make a decision as to whether they would challenge the suspension.

No further charges were laid, and no incidents required a further explanation.

Ballard becomes the second player suspended for striking during round two, with North Melbourne’s Jy Simpkin also copping a one-week ban. Tiger Nathan Broad was also sent straight to the tribunal for his sling tackle on Patrick Parnell while Port Adelaide’s Ryan Burton was suspended for two weeks for his sling tackle on Jamie Elliott.

1 Like

Suns are going to challenge Ballard’s suspension.

Pretty unsurprising.

On the replay it seemed low impact, but it was also clearly a punch. I’m surprised they’re fighting a 1 week suspension.