Truck slams into crowd at Bastille Day Celebrations- Terror attack likely

Not at all, because as long as people continue to preach or equate the narrative Islam = terrorism then disenfranchised angry people are going to keep doing ■■■■ like that. As soon as people realise that Terrorism and Islam are not mutually exclusive less will occur, I have no doubt.
So critics of Islamic terrorism are to blame for acts of Islamic terrorism?

That’s some genuinely twisted thinking right there.

That also some genuine twisting of words.

My mate Ahmed talking a lot about what people here have been speaking of from a Muslims perspective.

http://onepathnetwork.com/lives-really-matter/

Nice video, but I’m not sure I see the relevance.

I watched another of his videos and was disappointed by how dishonest it was: http://onepathnetwork.com/sheikh-shady-fuss/

In it, he defends hate preacher, Sheikh Shady, who is the president of the Australian National Imams Council and was a guest at Turnbull’s iftar dinner. He pretends as if the criticism of Shady is unwarranted as his only crime is pointing out that homosexuality is considered a sin in Islam. The caption on the video even says “Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman has been targeted for preaching the well-known and official Islamic view on homosexuality”. But read any article or news report on the subject and you will know that that’s a complete misrepresentation of the story.

The Sheik once called AIDS a divine punishment for gays. Online videos also show Sheik Shady saying women would be “hung by their breasts in hell” and women should not even look at men. He has also previously called on God to help “destroy the enemies of Islam” and for adulterers to be stoned to death.

“What’s the most common disease these days?” he said in a sermon uploaded in YouTube in 2013. “HIV, Aids, that’s so common and there’s no cure to it. And when did it exist? Just decades ago, and more diseases are coming.” He said it was “homosexuality that’s spreading all these diseases”.

He has also previously made comments about jihad, damned Christmas parties as “worship of Satan”, and appeared at a Sydney rally for Syria in 2012 alongside Hizb ut-Tahrir spokesman Uthman Badar and Sheik Mustapha al-Majzoub.

Now if he wants to defend the Sheik, that’s up to him, but at least have the honestly to properly refer to the comments that he is being criticised for. If he can’t even do that, why should we believe him when he uploads a video suggesting that Islam preaches respect for all?

Not at all, because as long as people continue to preach or equate the narrative Islam = terrorism then disenfranchised angry people are going to keep doing ■■■■ like that. As soon as people realise that Terrorism and Islam are not mutually exclusive less will occur, I have no doubt.
So critics of Islamic terrorism are to blame for acts of Islamic terrorism?

That’s some genuinely twisted thinking right there.

That also some genuine twisting of words.

That''s pretty much what you're suggesting though isn't it?

I’m not sure why Imams like this aren’t called out more regularly.
I can’t think of anyone else who would get away with that sort of talk, nor think of any reason why they should.

Does it strike you as odd that all of these so called marginalised, disaffected, mentally unstable, "lone wolves" all seem to be taking up the same cause?

Where are all the disaffected Greek, Italian and (insert any other nationality/religion) suicide bombers, truck rammers, cafe seige operators hiding out?

So because people say their religion promotes terrorism, they become terrorists? And it’s the other people’s fault?

No! ■■■■■■ hell how hard is it to understand. I am saying negative hate towards Islam as a faith breeds radical behaviour. I’m not saying every everyone hugged a Muslim there would be no more terrorism, saying that all Islamic people are or could be terrorists is the same as suggesting anyone associated with EFC is a drug cheat.

No! ■■■■■■ hell how hard is it to understand. I am saying negative hate towards Islam as a faith breeds radical behaviour.

That still reads as though if we all run around being positive then there would not be radical behaviour. That would be an incorrect position to hold. It essentially reads like it is the victim’s fault that there is violence done to them.

Ben is right, though. If we continue to marginalise that section of the community we will assist in creating the environment we fear most.

My mate Ahmed talking a lot about what people here have been speaking of from a Muslims perspective.

http://onepathnetwork.com/lives-really-matter/

Nice video, but I’m not sure I see the relevance.

I watched another of his videos and was disappointed by how dishonest it was: http://onepathnetwork.com/sheikh-shady-fuss/

In it, he defends hate preacher, Sheikh Shady, who is the president of the Australian National Imams Council and was a guest at Turnbull’s iftar dinner. He pretends as if the criticism of Shady is unwarranted as his only crime is pointing out that homosexuality is considered a sin in Islam. The caption on the video even says “Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman has been targeted for preaching the well-known and official Islamic view on homosexuality”. But read any article or news report on the subject and you will know that that’s a complete misrepresentation of the story.

The Sheik once called AIDS a divine punishment for gays. Online videos also show Sheik Shady saying women would be “hung by their breasts in hell” and women should not even look at men. He has also previously called on God to help “destroy the enemies of Islam” and for adulterers to be stoned to death.

“What’s the most common disease these days?” he said in a sermon uploaded in YouTube in 2013. “HIV, Aids, that’s so common and there’s no cure to it. And when did it exist? Just decades ago, and more diseases are coming.” He said it was “homosexuality that’s spreading all these diseases”.

He has also previously made comments about jihad, damned Christmas parties as “worship of Satan”, and appeared at a Sydney rally for Syria in 2012 alongside Hizb ut-Tahrir spokesman Uthman Badar and Sheik Mustapha al-Majzoub.

Now if he wants to defend the Sheik, that’s up to him, but at least have the honestly to properly refer to the comments that he is being criticised for. If he can’t even do that, why should we believe him when he uploads a video suggesting that Islam preaches respect for all?

Had exactly the same thought. Very very selective ‘defence’ of Slim Shady.

Left wing or right wing labels is irrelevant in this. It is fact that too many Imams have apologies made on their behalf that merely tries to limit the perception, not change the reality.

If a catholic priest was calling for the burning at the stake of heretics, how long will he hold his position these days? This bloke wants Stoning for adulterers and all we get is “he’s missunderstood, out of context blah blah” or else its ignored altogether (as per video under discussion) and on he rolls as a “leader” of his faith. It happens too often, and it actually starts with the Grand Mufti, who also defended Slim. Too many knobs attain positions of influence. Not just in Islam mind you. The catch the fire cretins are dropkicks as well.

Ben is right, though. If we continue to marginalise that section of the community we will assist in creating the environment we fear most.

The question is though are they really marginalised? From what I see on a daily basis most settle into to Aussie life quite well, mingle reasonably well but live just as many immigrants do, in their own little section of the city. The Italians went through it, the Greeks, the Chinese, the Vietnamese, so on and so forth. The media, in general, go out of their way to ensure that articles about Islam are positive and inclusive, after each extremist incident many articles and shows are dedicated to ensuring there is minimal blowback on Islam and the Government has done a lot to ensure that the Islamic societies are included in discussions.

I don’t see the marginalisation that Ben is talking about. Sure there are those who carry on, like Hanson, but for every Hanson there are 10 others condemning what they say.

The reality is Islam has those who use its teachings to push towards violence and condemnation and at it’s heart it is a violent religion. But then so is Hinduism and Judaism and Christianity has had many years where that has been the case. That is the reality and we should not be afraid to talk about that.

However alongside all that is also those who try and teach the balance, the good side of the religion, one which is harmonious with most of society and works to ensure that there is social justice, care and protection of children/women’s rights/the poor and seeks to be inclusive of all peoples. Just like those other religions. It is up to all of us to align ourselves with these groups and provide support and encouragement for them as they seek to take control of the future direction of Islamic youth.

So posts that demand that the moderates get out there and say something are unhelpful simply because they actually are getting out there but it is a difficult fight. So rather than condemn them we should be coming alongside them and holding them up as “true Islam” and making sure their message is being broadcast strongly to drown the noise coming from the extremists.

The question is though are they really marginalised? From what I see on a daily basis most settle into to Aussie life quite well, mingle reasonably well but live just as many immigrants do, in their own little section of the city. The Italians went through it, the Greeks, the Chinese, the Vietnamese, so on and so forth. The media, in general, go out of their way to ensure that articles about Islam are positive and inclusive, after each extremist incident many articles and shows are dedicated to ensuring there is minimal blowback on Islam and the Government has done a lot to ensure that the Islamic societies are included in discussions.

I don’t see the marginalisation that Ben is talking about. Sure there are those who carry on, like Hanson, but for every Hanson there are 10 others condemning what they say.

I must be reading the wrong media.

I must be reading the wrong media.

As if to make your point I saw this today:

MEDIA personality Sonia Kruger has called for Australia to stop taking in Muslim migrants.
The Today showpanel was addressing a recent article by News Corp columnist Andrew Bolt, which attributed terror attacks in France to the country’s intake of Muslim migrants.
Ms Kruger, who hosts Today’s sister show Today Extra, said she had a lot of “peace-loving, beautiful Muslim friends”, but admitted she agreed with the controversial opinion piece.
“Personally, I would like to see it (Muslim migration) stop now for Australia,” she said.

This might be a stupid question, but, could this have been avoided by the placing of concrete barriers on the promenade before the fireworks display itself?

This might be a stupid question, but, could this have been avoided by the placing of concrete barriers on the promenade before the fireworks display itself?

Everything can be prevented in hindsight.

No! ■■■■■■ hell how hard is it to understand. I am saying negative hate towards Islam as a faith breeds radical behaviour.

That still reads as though if we all run around being positive then there would not be radical behaviour. That would be an incorrect position to hold. It essentially reads like it is the victim’s fault that there is violence done to them.

Its more to the point that if you want war you conjure us v them. Its easier to kill Charlie or rag heads or whatever.

Its getting very close to that point world wide and only one very small group wants it that way.

Lol sonia kruger.

"you never hear of terrorist attacks in Japan".

Smug agnostic here. Ban religion.

Smug agnostic here. Ban religion.

Can you be a smug Agnostic? A smug atheist sure, but can you be smug about ‘being unsure’ about something?

I can. :slight_smile: