Two 'Pie players test positive

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
For me it would seem a ban is inevitable. Positive tests are conclusive proof that the substance was in their system. How and why will determine length of ban. Deliberate use carries a 4-year ban now thanks to new ASADA rules which came into effect Jan 1, non-deliberate is 2 years. The former would be career over. Both are uncontracted for 2016. Tough situation for both players, perhaps the illicit drug use route might be a way it has been ingested. Is that something that could be in an illicit drug?

Yes it can. However is it only matchday where an illicit drug is a PED? Surely if they are using it during training then it would carry the same penalty?

Or, if it is via illicit drug, does that fall under non-deliberate and cop 2 years anyway?

And not sure if HAP said it in this thread or the ASAGA thread, but both are close to best 22. Keefe would definitely be, who are their other tall defenders? Brown and Frost?

Thomas has talent and if not best 22 then most definitely best 25.

Depends on whether training is classified as “in-competition” I would’ve thought. It wasn’t strictly off season, Xmas hols. They were tested as a training camp so I’d say yes it would be.

Seen Tony Sheahan’s tweet this arvo? Far be it for me To take a journos tweet as gospel, but he’s claiming two more players will be announced as having a positive test for the same substance “within a week”. Didn’t name club/s…

Rumor is its Carlton and Saints.

Two dudes who lived with the “Collingwood 2” (can we get that trending now)

I have a mate who works in PR at Carlton.
He’s been told to be available 24/7 for the rest of the week at least.

What is it with Queenslanders and getting on the gear?

I feel bad for the Collingwood fellas if they’ve done nothing wrong. ASADA are going to be ■■■■■■ off after our verdict, and go balls and all at them.

And if they deliberately doped, they’re about to take a 4 year holiday which will more than likely finish their careers. Some lessons are hard to learn. Feel for them. Genuinely. They would be miserable right now, guilty or not. Hope they’ve got support around them. Their president certainly isn’t giving them any.

Quoted Post

I have a mate who works in PR at Carlton. He's been told to be available 24/7 for the rest of the week at least.
Be still, my beating heart.

Quoted Post

I feel bad for the Collingwood fellas if they've done nothing wrong. ASADA are going to be ■■■■■■ off after our verdict, and go balls and all at them.

And if they deliberately doped, they’re about to take a 4 year holiday which will more than likely finish their careers. Some lessons are hard to learn. Feel for them. Genuinely. They would be miserable right now, guilty or not. Hope they’ve got support around them. Their president certainly isn’t giving them any.

The problem for the players is to tell what happened.
Doing lines is not going to be palatable for moral crusaders like the Collingwood president.
So does he continue with the #whateveritsteaks story, or do they actually tell the truth; or do they just let them go?
These kids did nothing to try and source or take PEDs.
They just ended up with some in them because they’re used to cut coke, something they wouldn’t have known.

Funny thing that we will go into Anzac Day with a full team, and Collingwood will be short two guys due to positive drug test. That’s ■■■■■■■ karma Ed

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I feel bad for the Collingwood fellas if they've done nothing wrong. ASADA are going to be ■■■■■■ off after our verdict, and go balls and all at them.

The problem for the players is to tell what happened.
Doing lines is not going to be palatable for moral crusaders like the Collingwood president.
So does he continue with the #whateveritsteaks story, or do they actually tell the truth; or do they just let them go?
These kids did nothing to try and source or take PEDs.
They just ended up with some in them because they’re used to cut coke, something they wouldn’t have known.

Agree.

And under the AFL drug code, then that’s merely a strike for illicit substance use.

The only thing they can do is be honest, and hope for mercy. That said, look what happened to Saad for a ■■■■■■ energy drink!

This is getting crAzy. I shouldn’t get excited

I seem to recall some Collingwood supporters gesturing the needle in the arm to some of our players… Hahaha KARMA

Find it hard to believe that 2 to 4 players would knowingly take something that is detectable knowing that they are more likely to be tested than the average Joe. Ockham’s razor suggests that if the B tests are positive they were they were idiots or dupes rather than drug cheats. Detected recreational use carries a private first strike penalty in AFL(and so it should IMHO considering that the average citizen isn’t subjected to regular random testing.) not public shaming and the destruction of reputations and lives, and unless proved otherwise I’m inclined to believe the cocaine line. I’m totally over the righteous indignation posturing and the let’s burn them at the stake mentality. I don’t trust ASADA and I don’t trust the timing.
And yes I do hate the Filth and ■■■■ the Scum. But just remember what’s happened to us.

Quoted Post

Funny thing that we will go into Anzac Day with a full team, and Collingwood will be short two guys due to positive drug test. That's ■■■■■■■ karma Ed
■■■■■■■ ding ding ding. Bingo bango!!!

Isn’t ockhams razor the simplist answer is probably the right one?

Yes.

My understanding is that it is the solution requiring the fewest assumptions or least complexity to support the circumstances and that that theory needs to be disproved before moving on to the next most appropriate. Now I am going with the idea that 2 to 4 young off season footballers are more likely to be consuming recreational drugs that they believe carry limited consequences, eg a first strike, if caught, rather than that same 2 to 4 players knowingly risk their very futures by taking steroids in an environment of regular performance enhancing drug testing and media frenzy over drug use. For me there seem to be more unlikely assumptions in the latter scenario but I don’t claim any special knowledge. The initial scenario seems to gel whereas the latter leaves me scratching my head, particularly as there are multiple positives. 3 or 4 young idiots dabbling in recreational drugs makes sense to me. Maybe I’m naive.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
I genuinely feel bad for the players, just not bad enough to stop me acting the prick.

The time it takes to turn around the sampling is obscene. If the scientists can get that down to a few hours then we will hopefully see a system where decisions over the preservation of anonymity aren’t made for political reasons (i.e. to save the rest of a squad from suspicion)

It can be done in a matter of a couple of days. It’s all about what the afl is willing to pay for.

Correct. The tests would only take a couple of hours. Or in our case, a few days.

The extra time for us was to fly the samples to the world’s fanciest-schmanciest lab in Germany.

Who found we did nothing wrong.

Given the afls soft stance on party drugs it would be one hell of a scare for all those involved if there was party drugs going around that were cut with peds.

Quoted Post

Isn't ockhams razor the simplist answer is probably the right one?

A Razor is also a popular way to cut certain substances too, no…?

Quoted Post

I have a mate who works in PR at Carlton. He's been told to be available 24/7 for the rest of the week at least.

What is it with Queenslanders and getting on the gear?

prolly more to do with the fact if they lose to Richmond Malthouse will be under massive scrutiny :stuck_out_tongue:

Tis also a hard situation.
On the one hand you want anyone who helped put us through hell to suffer just as much, namely Eddie.

But then on the other hand we know the stress this ■■■■ puts on everyone, and it’s like these 2 guys could lose their livelyhoods for what, a witchhunt cos peds are the in thing atm to crucify people for ?

I’m not sure how they get out of it either, unless people buy the steak story. I don’t think they’d get away with a slap on the wrist if they turn around and admit it was apart of an illicit drug, don’t think that’ll work, that process only works when your name is kept out of the spotlight.

Whatever the case, prolly a wise move to limit the poo flinging at people you know specifically that did it to us during the last 2-3 years, otherwise we really aren’t any better than the people we’ve copped it from and bagged them for.