Underrated Movies

Garden State comes to mind for me.

Thought it was very good but no one seems to talk about it.

2 Likes

Galaxyquest for me. Though Iā€™m not sure it qualifies as under-rated.

3 Likes

Fresh

Prisoners with Hugh Jackman. Gripping from start to finish.

4 Likes

On that train, the original The Secret in Their Eyes is an amazing movie. The Hollywood remake they did was horrible. Has one of the best ā€˜scenesā€™ of all time (you know what I mean if youā€™ve seen the movie).

Ricardo Darin is great as always

1 Like

Once Were Warriors
Snowtown

Two extremely grim and dark films that both left a mark on me many years still after first watching them.

Both films felt so real as if whilst watching them that I was in the movie myself as an extra just watching it all unfold in front of me.

The subject matter of both movies and possibly not having widespread international release has probably contributed to them being both underrated.

7 Likes

Thanks Killer Mike for starting this thread; I requested it in the overrated movies thread, but donā€™t know how to do it myself (self-confessed luddite).

In the other me and another poster (sorry, canā€™t remember who it was) mentioned Michael Mannā€™s original Hannibal Lecter film, Manhunter (1986). I reckon this is a great film, highly stylised and with a genuinely scary villain.

The other night I rewatched Alan Parkerā€™s Angel Heart (1987) on SBS on Demand. I donā€™t think this is a really well-known film, but I really enjoyed and liked Mickey Rourkeā€™s performance in the lead role.

Agree with other posters about Tony Scottā€™s The Hunger and True Romance, and I reckon Enemy of the State is also good, which is amazing because it stars Will Smith (he usually sucks). Ridley Scottā€™s first movie, The Duellists (1977), might not be as well regarded as some of his later stuff, but I really liked it.

Finally, Iā€™m not a huge fan of Martin Scorsese, but I recently watched Alice Doesnā€™t Live Here Anymore (1974) and I thought it was very good. Something completely different from Scorsese, especially among his earlier films.

4 Likes

Boredom plus

With flying colours!

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched a couple of Bollywood films lately (or dollywood, apparently thatā€™s southern India, unless my Hindu friends are having a lend of me)

Their movies are quite good, last one i watched was the Great Father, similar lines to A Time To Kill.

I love Panā€™s Labyrinth, engrossing movie.

5 Likes

I havenā€™t seen Snowtown and donā€™t think I will ever watch it, but agree re Once Were Warriors.

I was a bit traumatised after watching and it stayed with me for months.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I struggled with. I felt that making almost a comedy out of her real life domestic abuse was really hard to get past.

1 Like

Underrated for me

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Nightingale

So then itā€™s underappreciated because everyone who rates it certainly doesnā€™t underrated it, itā€™s afforded effusive praise only.

Iā€™d call it moreā€¦ ā€˜meditativeā€™ and certainly bored Me sebseless when I saw it in cinemas as a 12 year old. Love it now, and Zimmersā€™ score is an all-timer.

1 Like

Watch ā€˜Nil by Mouthā€™.

Most depressing movie I have ever watched.

Incredible acting, but itā€™s a hard slog.

2 Likes

Went to see it at the Nova years ago. Didnā€™t finish it as one of the people I was with took a turn and we all left. Was not unhappy about leaving though, it was as bleak a film as I can recall seeing.

1 Like

The little girl is now 26, and in a Netflix series High Seas. She was also in the Shannara Chronicles. She grew up trilingual with Spanish, Catalan and English.

3 Likes

Really liked The Florida Project, but it got very little fanfare.