Unpopular Opinion

re: vfl park

i dunno what false memories some people have going on about “good views”

the ground was 190 metres long. no one could see fkn anything.

i remember being in the 15th row my first time at marvel and thinking “are we allowed to be this close? is it safe?”

and yeah waverley was always cold. even if it was 22 degrees on your way in it’d be freezing by 1/4 time.

-edit- quarter of a kilometre away and going “yep that’s peter somerville” come on

You could always just glance up at the monochrome screen to see what was happening.

1 Like

I used to work in Noble Park (not bragging), and would drive past the Waverley estate everyday.

There was quite a few occasions where the weather was fine on Wellington road, then I’d turn up Jacksons road and half way up it would be absolutely ■■■■■■■ down.

A few moments later, once past Waverley, weather would be fine again.

Weird part of the world.

4 Likes

Waverley also had quite a gradient where if you were perched on the lower tiers on either wing, it was like a small hill seem to rise around the centre and you could only see player torsos and heads bobbing around on the far side.

1 Like

Yep, found this on many occasions myself. The stretch of the Monash from Wellington Rd to Eastlink is a rain magnet.

1 Like

Only compared to the MCG.
People are in denial about the MCG!!

I guess what I’m really saying is the mainstream, popular reality shows are so fake and manipulated, I struggle to appreciate any of them, and I don’t understand how they get to use the word ‘reality’.

1 Like

I never went to Waverley but it was ■■■■ enough to watch on TV because the distance between the boundary line and the fence was about the same as the length of the SCG.

Can’t imagine it was much chop from the grandstand.

They should have added that extra tier to get 120,000 seats.

I remember 1992 and attending more games at VFL park than any other year.
I can’t remember but was it due to southern stand being built?

1 Like

great southern stand opened for the 92 world cup

1 Like

To be fair he was stood down in disgrace for telling BS under oath.

it’s just a word without meaning

like how “soapies” are rarely about laundry detergent any more

2 Likes

Anyone ever sit in the ‘other stand’ which I guess was where the TV, radio and corporate boxes were. It looked way better quality.

Was it really supposed to be built to that size all the way around and seat 150,000? Or is that an urban myth?

Because actors have a union and minimum wages and conditions. Contestants do not.

That’s why they exist, saving money for ■■■■■ like Murdoch and packer.
Also see: cartoons (VO actors Vs on-screen actors = waaaaay less $$$), “bingeable” streaming services (fewer/no residuals).
Oh and TV/film writers have a guild/union too, “producers” on reality TV do not.

1 Like

TELL THAT TO THE UMPIRES

Albert thurgood likes this

1 Like

Designed to potentially allow a huge expansion, yeah.

Doubt it ever would’ve gone ahead, infrastructure wasn’t there to support it.

Side note, only reason “afl memberships” exist is to pay off Waverley which was sold off 20+ years ago.

VFL was being screwed by the MCC.
Waverley changed that but Cain blocked a rail link to keep the MCG as the premium stadium.
And Elliott and co white anted it to get a status for Princes Park.
The AFL made a killing from the Waverley sale, some of which went to player salaries.

1 Like

It weirds me out that parts of it are still there. I thought they demolished the lot years ago.

1 Like

4 of our first 6 games of 1992 were at Waverley.

1991 wasn’t a great year for us at the ground with a 2-4 record (both wins against Carlton). Two of the losses by 80 points against the Hawks in the final H&A round and then getting run over in the second half by Melbourne the following week in the Elimination Final.

Our final game at Waverley was a very memorable one as we absolutely demolished Hawthorn (1999). They kicked their 4th goal for the day very deep into the last quarter and we won by 60 points.

2 Likes