Updating Blitz

As long as any new software has a "view new content" (or equivalent) feature I'm beastly careless.

As long as any new software has a "view new content" (or equivalent) feature I'm beastly careless.

Actually most new forum packages work like that is the main index page, and viewing categories is the secondary navigation.

BETA?

I've asked this several times -- but how attached are people to this particular forum software? The people that make it seem to treat development like a part time hobby and I'm sick of the constant crashing.
The last time we changed software was out of necessity over a year ago, but this time would be out of choice.
I had hoped by this month the #SorrySaga would be over and Blitz would calm down so I could try switching us to something else. On a scale of 1-10, how annoyed would you be if I could salvage all the posts and threads from this forum, but changed the software it's running on?

Wouldn't even register a 1 mate. With respect, it's not the way the forum looks that keeps me coming back.

post-28717-Ben-Stiller-DO-It-gif-Imgur-S

Yep just this and a good mobile version and go for it

I echo those who place their trust in your judgement Rio. 

I have grown to like this one but if it's too hard for you and taking too much time, move on.

That being said I think that Discourse looks a bit more like a support section of a technology site, I like the current set up's focus on categories and sub forums with equal weighting given to the OP and all other posts (rather than OP then smaller replies or Reddit style nested replies) but that's all cosmetics I'm sure you'll make it look good Rolo.

Discourse is very different but it’s a much much more modern take on forum software. But that’s aldo the problem. It runs on server’s I’m completely unfamiliar with, and we’d need to 10x our budget to use their self-hosted solution.

Thinking it’ll be vanilla, as long as I can get the transfer made.

Change ir.

A house is not a home.

Change ir.
A house is not a home.

You're verging on 'ship in the harbour ' territory.

Discourse is very different but it's a much much more modern take on forum software. But that's aldo the problem. It runs on server's I'm completely unfamiliar with, and we'd need to 10x our budget to use their self-hosted solution.
Thinking it'll be vanilla, as long as I can get the transfer made.

Yep, Go Vanilla, it's matches out list.......
In all seriousness it's good software and has a decent mobile app. Can be pretty pricey though, how many page views a month does blitz normally get?

Just under 2 million a month on average. Though in October we had 3.8 mil. I’ll be self hosting it, much cheaper.

As long as it supports autochanging Tippa to TIPPA, I'm all for it.

Edit: oh, and good blocking facilities.

As long as it supports autochanging Tippa to TIPPA, I'm all for it.

Edit: oh, and good blocking facilities.

Can‘t it just auto-block anyone who doesn‘t capitalise that correctly?

I hope we lose the asada thread. 2000+ pages of time wasted.

Can you imagine it starting again though? IS AOD AOK?

Can you imagine it starting again though? IS AOD AOK?

asada thread not aod playpen

Okay so I’ve tested the transfer to Vanilla and it works. Not saying it’s going to be completely bug free either, but I feel better about that platform than this one.

There’s work to do getting the theme finished. But as of right now I’m thinking Friday to do the conversion.

Sure you don't want to make it on a Tues???

Everything happens on Tues  :lol:

Can you change your handle in Vanilla?