US politics - fried (part 5)

I can tell you from deep personal experience that my world for sure changed in the 4yrs Trump was President. For one, my 70yo mother was put through the absolute wringer by his bigots when trying to get a visa to move over despite having two kids who are US citizens.

My family and I didn’t have the luxury of sitting in another country just laughing at those “idiot seppos”.

Also, to be honest, your world too changed. There is no way Covid would have been as horrible a global pandemic had Hillary been in power.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. Of course some lives are harder, no doubt, just like some will be easier. In terms of the world ending, no it won’t be any different.

Not going down the Covid rabbit hole, but covid would eventually have been everywhere regardless.

Actually CB, that is pretty funny.

Who do you think the loudest complainers are? Have you listened to Trump or any of the MAGA crowd, the Repubs who are on the impeachment committee, the Marjorie Taylor Greens, the Lauren Boberts or the ones yelling at their own speaker (whoever that is today) or the 6 Jan rioters?

But yeah, Biden voters are complainers alright.

3 Likes

A second Trump Presidency will begin like his first ended, minus Covid, imo. All that craziness post-election. And go from there. It won’t be like his first term, the institutional resistance within his own party is largely gone.

2 Likes

Really?

1 Like

No need to be triggered mate, there will be lots of sooking and complaining on both sides. If Trump doesn’t have the support he won’t become president, as of right now, it looks more likely that he will be.

It’s a bit of a jawdropper of a statement. The ‘world didn’t change’. It’s like saying “my tomatoes came in nicely this year, not sure what all this climate stuff’s about…”. You don’t even need to be that interested to be able to list a lot of things that changed and that were set in motion globally. Good lord!

1 Like

This thread may as well be the cheer squad for Biden, any criticism of Biden is usually met with being overly defensive, the posts, likes and everything else back that up. Difference of opinion is allowed too, last time I checked. For the record, both are terrible candidates and if Biden loses then they only have themselves to blame.

Demonstrably untrue. It’s actually weird to me how many posters seem to think Biden is poison. You’re on a tear, that’s all. Cast your mind around the world at the emboldening of populist right wing pseudo politics finding footholds, especially in Europe. That’s chilling. You don’t reckon Putin and Co, who clearly engineered elements of Trump’s victory and subsequent unravelling of untold agreements and regulations on trade, environmental safeguards etc, were feeling pretty okay about the build up to Ukraine with fat ■■■■ in the Oval? Think a bit larger than trite phrases like ‘the end of the world’.

4 Likes

The world, if we have to talk global generalities, became a much less stable proposition overnight when that creature was elected with a minority vote. Biden has been a solid leader in a maelstrom since.

4 Likes

Which posters think Biden is “poison”?

It’s chilling that people vote they want they want to? I think people need to get a grip here. Should we just arrest any voters that don’t vote left? Or should we have a far left and just normal left candidates and policies?

I’m not bothering going down the rabbit holes of the Putin conspiracy theories.

1 Like

Are you joking? It’s chilling that near fascist types are rallying serious tilts and winning around Europe. Do I need to explain that? And if you don’t think they were taking notes in 2016 you’re being deliberately blinkered. People voted for Scott Morrisson too, and Boris Johnston, for Brexit, people are often farking stupid and easily led by fear, slogans, empty promises and platitudes about being “one of you”. If you think it’s fine then do you, where it leads is easy to read about, the ink is still fresh.

1 Like

Not sure I should have liked your post Loflyer, maybe it is because I am triggered when I thought CB’s post was funny about all the complainers (not Repubs of course and not him).

I and I suspect many would have preferred for Biden to step down but there you go, He is still by far the best candidate running and while he may not be as sharp as he was, I suspect he is a damn sight more on the ball than Trump who cannot string two coherent words together.

Barring a major catrosphe hitting Biden or the Democrats they will win easily with Trumps only hope of not being in jail at the time of the election being the Supreme Court who are moving as slow as they can before deciding that action now will be too close to the election to take.

By the way how many elections have the Republicans won since 2016?

4 Likes

Yep, only ‘pure’ reason he’s running, to pardon himself and erase debts. Otherwise just dirty little sociopathic urges like vengeance and supremacy, a soupcon of proving to Daddy and Roger and Roy that he really is a Winner etc. Still haven’t seen a really viable suggestion for who would’ve been a safer bet than Biden from anyone here.

1 Like

Yes I know there is no third option, I know it is fantasyland. I just said I preferred that.

1 Like

I think most would prefer Biden was a one term president. He’s done a solid job. He’s been criticised for being too old and I think that’s a reasonable criticism.

Dems haven’t put forward another option so in the absence of that we compare a Biden v Trump presidency. Drawing on action and words of both presidents, and those throughout the current lead up, it’s clear to me who is the preferred candidate.

12 Likes

People in power aren’t crazy about giving it up.

1 Like

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/media/truth-social-trump-media-stock-losses/index.html

I find it perplexing that in this topsy turvy era journalists and publications are still shy of calling things by their names, going “high when they go low”…. “reminiscent of the meme stock craze”? No, it’s a completely transparent grift, it’s utterly bonkers, and it’s an indictment on the system.

I understand not wanting to go Fox on it, but ‘balanced’ doesn’t need to mean euphemistic to the point of gifting legitimacy to outrageous behaviour that will certainly lead to dim witted maga supporters breaking their family banks. In other words yet another con. The idiots that buy, quite aside from the predators who can afford to gamble retail, deserve to get broken, but their kids probably don’t.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

This is such a cop out during debates these days.

Same as “you’re just virtue signalling”, which was big for a while… All these little debate memes that last about as long as an American election cycle, and help those who use them avoid the substance of the argument.

5 Likes