Vale Chris Cornell

First there was Andy Wood of Mother Love Bone, who I’m pretty sure was Cornell’s housemate at the time who died of an overdose circa 1990. That was the one which really shocked that scene around the time it was exploding but there was always a lot of heroin in Seattle. I do know that Cornell had his demons and I could be wrong but got onto the smack much, much later. Whether this is a directly related I’ve no idea but I must admit before details of his suicide were known, I assumed it was probably an overdose. Either way it’s irrelevant and a big shock and bigger loss. I loved Soundgarden’s first few albums as a teenager in the 90’s but this is my favourite track by anyone Soundgarden related. A true gem, you can hear hints of Jimmy Page influence.

2 Likes

nice tribute to Chris

I love that song so much.

2 Likes

Malfunkshun is a great doc on Andy Wood

Outshined was an utter beast of a song, the first time I ever heard was driving round town in a mate’s car, e cranked it , it was amazing!

1 Like

That song is just the best.

Speaking of outshined… Stone Sours tribute

1 Like

Oh no. Took two Ativan after the concert for anxiety/insomnia. Side effects of Ativan are increased suicidal tendencies in depressed people and repression of the respiration reflex…

More broadly, This bullshit society now has of reaching for pharmaceutical’s for everything is killing a hell of a lot of people. Taking drugs to counter other drugs effects is a slippery slope.

1 Like

Goes on a lot, & with illicit drugs too.

Known so many folks over the years who end up using stimulants eccies etc or drinking heaps, to counter the effects of smoking too much weed, in an effort to remain, or become socially “viable” again.

I now describe the scenario as , “Swallowing a Spider to catch the Flies”.

Better idea might be to just stop eating so many flies ?!

2 Likes

All these rockers dropping left right and centre and yet Keith Richards still lives

1 Like

Keith made a deal at the Crossroads, … is here for ever.

wow…

you know what they say…
Every cigarette you have, god takes a day off your life and gives it to Keith Richards.

4 Likes

And Mick et al. Yeah, maybe Mick went harder at it than the others, but still, they’s all old buggers

Like a lot of you, I feel like this hits right to the heart of many of our age group. I feel this loss as particularly raw. Chris was a fundamental pillar of my youth and my love of music begins and ends with this man - and Soundgarden. RIP legend.

1 Like

This death has hit me somewhat , I’m still processing it. It’s like he was the soundtrack of the last 25 years of my life, the one constant.
I saw SG at Big Day Out in Sydney around 1995, and then at their own show a couple of days later in Newcastle. It wasn’t until around 2006 I saw Chris play a show at The Forum, and it blew my mind, Chris and his swiftly assembled band (a few members of his touring band had pulled out, it wasn’t SG or AS) raised the fucken roof.
Then I caught him a couple of times solo/acoustic at the Palais around 2013 and 2016.
He was one of those artists that really “hit the spot”, and I’m saddened that he has passed in this fashion… I dunno, I wish I could have helped or something.

2 Likes

Was seriously ■■■■■■■ talented…

1 Like

That is great.

Cheers also to the posting of Seasons, I hadn’t heard that one.

Actually thanks for all the Cornell memories posted here.

Inriguing to see his right hand guitar technique, a stiff wrist and swinging from the elbow. Still makes sweet contact with the strings though.

Eddie’s tribute to Chris

1 Like