Vale Shane Warne

That’s really young and incredibly sad and unexpected.

My brother works in advertising and did a tv commercial with Warne once. It was my wedding coming up so my bro asked Warne if he could do a video message. He did this message saying he was so sorry he couldn’t make our wedding and hoped we had a wonderful day, and my bro played it for everyone at the reception. It was really cool of him to do that, and we loved it.

RIP.

29 Likes

I am really struggling to process this. I hated him in commentary, he carried on too much. But Shane Warne was cricket: he was larger than life, he was loud, he was obnoxious, he was brilliant, he was generous, he was quick with a laugh and he lived every bit of life he could.

Goodbye to a truly unique Aussie sporting life.

4 Likes

Digging up my 4 piece kooka ball I nicked as a young’n from the practise nets when windies were touring vs vics back in the 90s , Warnie saw it was marked, gave me a cheeky grin as he signed it, saying ‘love your work, il let you keep it’ haha
rip

10 Likes

:sob: :sob: :sob:

That ball!
I was seated opposite him on a flight from Singapore to Delhi, saw another side to him. No arrogance, super polite to crew in awe of him. He was mentoring a younger cricketer, my ears flapping as he took him through tactics etc. sustained himself with a big bag of dried fruit and nuts, no booze.
He was extremely polite, helping people with baggage from overhead lockers.
In the baggage hall, did not expect special treatment. There was a ring around him of Indian airport people , at a respectful distance , no one asking for a selfie or autograph. The aura of a demi god, but not claimed by him.

22 Likes

Mrs B doesn’t follow cricket at all, but even she said “I can’t believe Shane Warne’s dead”.

The greatest spin bowler ever. Possibly the best bowler ever. A man who transcended cricket.

The only (ONLY!) positive about this is not having to listen to his commentary any more (though I suspect it was the idiot Ch 7 and 9 producers who told him to ramp up the blokeiness…)

RIP…

2 Likes

Wisden tribute

wisden.com

4 Likes

Absolutely shattered

1 Like

Have spent the morning watching this doco. Still can’t believe he is gone.

As I said the cricket thread I had two absolute heroes growing up. In summer it was SK Warne. In winter it was James Hird.

I played a lot of cricket bowling leg spin. I dreamed of being as good as Shane Warne but that was not possible. There’s only one of him and there will never be another. What a legend.

RIP

10 Likes

This is so accurate. Like many kids my age, I started bowling spin around the time Warnie arrived on the scene.

But very quickly, I chose to switch up to off spin, because:
A) Leg spin is really hard to get right consistently.
B) Every kid in the country was currently trying to bowl leg spin.

During the years I pursued cricket, there was never a rep team or squad I tried out for, where I was competing with another offie. It was always me and 10-15 leg spinners fighting for the 2 spots.

Also, as a left handed batsmen, it was great to have so many average leg spinners at club level dropping pies down leg side to be easily despatched. Free runs.

Warne’s influence on that era of junior cricket was just enormous. There were aspiring leg spinners everywhere.

Fark I’m sad about this.

12 Likes

Beyond gutted

Bushfires,covid,floods, war in Europe, Shane RIP.

I can’t bear to read the obituaries etc.

Say it ain’t so!

I’m explaining to foreigners it’s like Maradona/Pele/Jordan etc passing.

The most magical bowler I’ve ever seen and seems to be the opinion of those much older than me too. :sweat:

I hope plenty of love surrounds his kids right now.

3 Likes

Lovely tribute and that final line sums it up beautifully.

‘The torrents that now will flow for Shane Warne will all be true.’

3 Likes

Goosebumps

Not sure about the Celebrity Get Me Out of here snippets though. But the other stuff really brought me back to the buzz you’d feel as a kid when he’d come on to bowl.

2 Likes

Just woke up to this news. Unable to comprehend this one. He was such a significant part of my childhood and early adulthood and bought so much joy.

I’m incredibly lucky to watch a once in a generation talent.

My condolences to his family and friends.

2 Likes

Just watching the Gatting ball on replay. Wow that ball is unbelievable. Absolutely amazing. Gatting’s face sums it up.

There will never be another ball like that. Just like there will never be another Shane Warne.

11 Likes

Sharon Strzeleki is devastated, she will never forget that pash with him

5 Likes

10 Likes

If I was to start a team, and I had the choice of every cricketer that has ever played, Warney would be my first pick. Even over Bradman.

Greatest of all-time.

2 Likes

I remember shaking his hand after a one dayer and getting his autograph when I was 16yo. His hands were so big and strong he almost crushed mine. I realised right there why he was such a freak. Only hands as powerful as that could spin a ball that fast.

1 Like

Me too.

There’s so much I can’t digest about it.

1 Like