VFL - not 2021 round 14 vs Nth - aboods reports on us/Norf vs the Bears

He wasn’t prominent at all when forward. But After the 1st qtr I reckon he played very little forward

1 Like

Murdered the Bears in the second half!

57-11

3 Likes

Tom Campbell is one of their emergencies? Played in this game.

Turns out 20th+18th > 16th.

3 Likes

In the second half I was behind the goals at one end due to finding food. The hot chips were pretty good.

In the 3rd qtr that was our scoring end.

“We” won 15.14. 104 to about 64 I think. We kicked 4.8 in the 4th qtr.
Eyre got 2 goals that I know of and at least 2 behinds. Possibly more of both.

Zerk was very very good in the last qtr. Francis was ok. Looked to be cruising but did some amazing kicks. In the 3rd qtr Brisbane couldn’t get the ball into 50. It was hard to tell from the wrong end but I suspect Zerk and Francis were a big reason for that.

I’ll post some more when I get home if I think of anything else

23 Likes

We must have a far better team this time or we’ve improved heaps cos The Brissie VFL mauled us last time.
Should have gone to this game… not feeling confident about tomorrow’s going ahead.
Thanks @aboods.
Are you going tomorrow? (If on)

Well it helps when the team is made up of all AFL players from 2 clubs :joy:

7 Likes

You’d hope Norf AFL players are better than random 18yo NAB League kids.

3 Likes

Today was only AFL listed players plus apparently 4 giants academy players. So…… as @theDJR said.

I can’t go tomorrow unfortunately

1 Like

Haha Cam Ellis YOLMEN is one of @Aceman boys

Good to hear. We’ll hire you again next week.

4 Likes

When you get a chance let us know how Erye went, i see he kicked a few, did he cluck some marks etc? Cheers again

More kudos to you too for watching, posting, replying to questions & childminding all at the same time. Impressive.

2 Likes

Thanks aboods. Anything else of note from the game. How was Zaka moving?

I’ve got some comments on individual players, but take these with a big grain of salt, especially the players I didn’t notice much, because I missed lots of play. Especially centre bounces and stoppages around the ground. Apart from the second qtr, I didn’t see many of them at all. But considering we dominated territory in the second half I’d like to think Bryan and/or some of our midfielders were contributing to that.

As I touched on earlier, the qtrs were all 25 minutes.

Zerk - I thought he was our best player. I didn’t see him lose a contest. He took intercept marks and a couple of pack marks. When he was beaten to the ball he tackled well. His disposal looked better apart from a couple of times he looked nervous and ended up taking a safe, easy option

Francis - He seemed to just cruise around. Whenever I looked for him he was on the ground though so I think he played basically the whole game. A few of his kicks were very impressive. One kick out from a behind where he spotted up a North player in the centre square was awesome. There has to be a little question mark on whether he was just cruising or whether he’s lost a bit of fitness over the last month.
Either way, I think he’d be fine enough to bring into the AFL team next week if needed, but at this stage, it would be very harsh on Zerk if Francis was chosen first. Like many on here, I see a lot more in Zerk than the coaches seem to.

Bryan - I didn’t notice him a great deal. He was forward a fair bit in the first qtr and rucked a lot in the second qtr and was good. After that, he was still out there (but he may have interchanged a bit with the North ruckman) and he took a couple of good grabs from opposition kickouts to the “Hurley corner” but apart from that… see my comments above about centre bounces and stoppages.

Clarke - was very prominent in the 3rd. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a lot of the ball but I didn’t notice him much, but see above

Zaharakis - I thought he was mainly good, but there were a couple of times where as usual he was brushed aside too easily either with or without the ball. Even so, on today’s effort I’d rather him in the team over Cutler. He got a fair bit of the ball and was all over the ground and kicked at least 1 goal. I suspect he benefitted a lot from the inside midfield being well on top.

Eyre - Certainly showed some highlights. Took a few marks on the lead and I’m sure he ended up with at least 2.2. 1 goal and 2 behinds were down the far end from me. The goal was a lead and mark in a pocket and a good drop punt for goal. 1 behind was a gather and snap from about 30 out on a 45 degree angle. The other behind was a set shot from a similar spot to the goal but I’m not sure how he got the set shot. He was playing defence in the 1st qtr and was switched forward after that. May have even been switched before qtr time, but I’m not sure. At a guess I’d say he got more of the ball than he has been getting. His other goal was in the 3rd qtr and it was right in front of me. It shows how hard it is to adjust to watching different colours. Hird gather and snapped from a pocket and it was going to go through but Eyre marked it on the line (I reckon he should have let it go). My initial reaction was “ah ■■■■ North got back and stopped the goal”. Then I remembered that’s us.

McBride: - to be honest, I thought McBride showed more than Eyre. He contested strongly in the packs and snuck away from his opponent for a couple of marks on the lead. Kicked one goal, and missed another both from set shots around 40 to 45 meters. Had another shot from probably 55 that he put on the full. In the last qtr took a mark in the middle of the ground, played on and outpaced a couple of players and kicked nicely to the advantage of a North player in a pocket who couldn’t mark it but gathered it and kicked a behind.

Hird - also prominent in the 3rd and unlucky not have a goal (see Eyre comments). In the first he was near where I was sitting and he didn’t get the ball much but he was very vocal. He either started on a wing or half-forward most of the time. I suspect he is doing everything asked of him in terms of running to position and applying defensive pressure.

Cahill - I really didn’t notice him much at all. In the first half he was starting forward. In the 3rd qtr when we were well on top and it was down our end almost exclusively, I barely noticed him
But he could have kicked 2 or 3 goals down the other end for all I know…

Johnson - played in defence. He certainly doesn’t run far or fast enough to be a backup for Hind or long term replacement for McKenna/Saad. Barely noticed him get the ball

Brand - took me til about 5 minutes to go to realise he was playing. He was playing in defence at that point. I asked a North official who 84 he was. He said he didn’t know, but it’s an Essendon player. I’m 99% sure it was Brand. :rofl:

Edit: Considering some other North official said there were 4 GWS academy players, that would mean there were 7 listed North players. Although there could have been more than 4 on the interchange. I really don’t know

28 Likes

I’d agree with these comments. I didn’t know who they were at the time, but I certainly thought 30 (Comden), 36 (Spicer) and 16 (Bonar) were all pretty good. I did notice 42 (Campbell) a few times as well.

There did seem to be an unusually high proportion of good looking young girls watching the game. That might have helped 16.

1 Like

Thanks for the write up and updates.

2 Likes

Seeing as you’re in the mood aboods, would you perchance be able to give us any information on how the aforementioned player for the North Melbourne football club who wears jumper number 16 is going?

I’m dying for a Bonar update

1 Like

Legend! Thanks

Cotton wool. Just a hit out. Surely. Or was it sheep stations against Brisbane

1 Like