VFL Practice Matches 2017 - last game was Sat April 8 at Punt Road

Not confirmed but I have been told:

[Fri. March 17 Geelong at Kardinia Park, 6:30pm]

Sat. March 25 Box Hill at Tulla. 12pm

Sat. April 1. Footscray, Whitten Oval 11 am

Sat. April 8. Richmond, Punt Road. 11 am

12pm?

Is that noon or midnight?

Never understood why people use pm or am for 12 o’clock.

12pm?

Noonan’ until the break of day

1 Like
12pm?

I don’t get (I mean I do but I don’t like) why 12 noon is pm and 12 midnight is am. It should be the other way.

No it shouldn’t.

The reason, & the trick to remembering which is which is, what will it be at 12:01?

Whatever it will be then, AM or PM, is what the 12:00 preceding it is.

You couldn’t say it’s 12 PM, and even one second later, say it’s 12:00 - 01 AM, it wouldn’t make sense.

Also, given that there’s always a certain, if miniscule amount of time for your brain to register the clock just hit 12, by the time it actually does, it is already either Post Meridian, or Ante Meridian.

1 Like
No it shouldn't.

The reason, & the trick to remembering which is which is, what will it be at 12:01?

You couldn’t say it’s 12 PM, and even one second later, say it’s 12:00 - 01 AM, it wouldn’t make sense.

Also, given that there’s always a certain, if miniscule amount of time for your brain to register the clock just hit 12, by the time it actually does, it is already either Prime Meridian, or Ante Meridian.

I believe you mean Post Meridian BD. The Prime Meridian is the meridian line at which the longitude is recognised as 0 degrees by international convention. That meridian line runs through Greenwich England.

Yep, slip of the … fingers?

Fixed.

No it shouldn't.

Also, given that there’s always a certain, if miniscule amount of time for your brain to register the clock just hit 12, by the time it actually does, it is already either Post Meridian, or Ante Meridian.

I get why it is how it is. My point is it shouldn’t be. fite me irl

So you get why it should be as it is, and the logic & obvious reasons why it is, but think it should be the other way around … just coz?

1 Like

Now you know why the military use a 24 hour clock. Prevents embarrassment if half your army turns up to a battle 12 hours late.

2 Likes

I always say 12 noon or 12 midnight. No ambiguity there.

Now you know why the military use a 24 hour clock. Prevents embarrassment if half your army turns up to a battle 12 hours late.

Then I just guess it’s a matter of 0:00 or 24:00 hours!

1 Like

These ambiguities can cause a serious problems in software systems. Like the case some years back when the Bureau of Met servers output a poorly documented weather code indicating that zero wind speed had a zero wind direction. ( the defined domain for wind direction was thought to be 1-360 degrees )
The resulting unhandled divide by zero error caused Airservices complete eastern seaboard air navigation system to shut down, and the system had to be rebooted. Needless to say the bug was fixed real fast once they figured what caused the system crash.

1 Like

No 24:00 hours.

1 Like

These ambiguities can cause a serious problems in software systems. Like the case some years back when the Bureau of Met servers output a poorly documented weather code indicating that zero wind speed had a zero wind direction. ( the defined domain for wind direction was thought to be 1-360 degrees )
The resulting unhandled divide by zero error caused Airservices complete eastern seaboard air navigation system to shut down, and the system had to be rebooted. Needless to say the bug was fixed real fast once they figured what caused the system crash.

Not quite in the same league as the DEW system when it was first turned on, a rising moon triggered as a full blown Soviet nuclear missile attack causing mass panic until it was realised it was just a calibration error.

Not quite in the same league as the DEW system when it was first turned on, a rising moon triggered as a full blown Soviet nuclear missile attack causing mass panic until it was realised it was just a calibration error.

Jeez, how close have we come to the unthinkable ?

The Footscray one sounds interesting. They’ve got a lot of depth so more of a test, plus they did well in the finals last year. I’ve never actually been to the Whitten oval either.

Hope to get along to a VFL training session in the coming weeks, but has anyone been? Anyone impressing? Any reports would be great.

So you get why it should be as it is, and the logic & obvious reasons why it is, but think it should be the other way around .. just coz?

I get why it is and I get that “one second past” logic. But to me am is day and pm is night. That’s what I’m focusing on. Although yes it would present problems where 12:38 in the arvo would be 12:38 am.

VFL Practice Matches confirmed.

Friday, March 17 - Away v Geelong, Kardinia Park, 6:30pm

Saturday, March 25 - Home v Box Hill, TVSC, 12pm

Saturday, April 1 - Away v Footscray, Whitten Oval, 11am

Saturday, April 8 - Away v Richmond, Punt Rd Oval, 11am

Teams and times are confirmed, venues are not, but I guess these will be accurate.
Good opportunity to see the VFL boys before the AFL boys on a couple of occasions.

1 Like