VFL Practice Matches 2017 - last game was Sat April 8 at Punt Road

Ironically, it was Jerrett who should have been the Green / Howlett replacement.

1 Like

You couldnā€™t promote him off last weeks game. Needed to have this performance last week.

So, with Stewart and Francis putting in some claimsā€¦

Is anybody else thinking about how strong that defence would look with Hooker back there?

Iā€™m actually a big fan of Hooker forward too, but you do kinda feel that heā€™s initially there because of need, rather than want. In 5-6 weeks time, that need might not be as pressing.

2 Likes

Yeah I know, I meant in hindsight.

No. Hooker is playing damn well and I donā€™t want him anywhere else.

I think weā€™ll see it at some point.
Certainly the weakest key possie is the 3rd tall back, certainly Hookerā€™s a better candidate than Brown or, for that role, Harts; and Stewart seems to be pushing hardest of almost anyone on the list.

Heā€™s playing pretty well. Letā€™s not over sell it.

As I said, I like him there and right now thatā€™s where he is most needed.

But maybe there will be a time where itā€™s not where he is most needed?

1 Like

Yes, and hooker seems a very different player as a forward to Stewart butā€¦ The defense is the weakest link ATM.

I think the issue is that Stewart seems to play very similarly to jd and hit up the ball. Hooker compliments JD because he takes his man back to the square and ministers them.

I feelFrancis is still the key he can improve either end if he gets it right.

Regardless I feel we are a key forward getting hold of us away from a bring in Stewart push hooker back conversation ATM.

I donā€™t think Stewart and Francis would cope copping marking contest after contest while joe does his best up the ground as CHF (RICHO ROLE- HYBRID)

Now this is the type of analysis that you wonā€™t find anywhere else!! Radio 3DJR rocks.

2 Likes

Not sure the defence is our weakest link at the moment.

Our ruck-midfield is our weakest link given the large runs of clearances & contested ball average teams like Hawthorn (yes, they are average this year) and Brisbane were able to have.

Fix that and suddenly less is scored against you.

4 Likes

Agree that our clearances are our weakest link.

It will be interesting with McNernan going out and being replaced by Leuey whether this improves. Leuey is unlikely to get the same number of clearances as McNernan, but should create more for the midfielders. We shall see.

Also our centre clearances are too often just hack kicks out of congestion that are immediate turn-overs. We have some of our best players in this part of the ground, and as such I expect this to settle down over the course of the year as everyone gets used to each other.

The first step here was made last week. Hartley was moved off of that goliath Hipwood, and Ambrose was put on him in the back end of the last quarter to shut him down.

The second step happened during selection with Brown being brought in. I suspect Hurley will be given a more 1 on 1 defensive role and Brown will be expected to be the intercept plus 1.

If we are still having issues shutting down the tall forwards of the opposition, then Hooker back is the next logical positional change. Or someone (Iā€™m looking at you Harts) steps up his game.

2 Likes

I think heā€™s still finding himself and yet is averaging about 3 goals a game. I consider that as damn well. When was the last time we had someone average what he has forward? Additionally, neither Francis or Stewart play his role of monster target who wrestles and isnā€™t out marked, either bringing it down for our smalls or taking the mark himself.

Why is defence our weakest link? Especially tall defenders? Has any tall kicked more than two goals yet? And ironically I would argue Hurley is the most out of form. As he gets better we will have natural improvement.

I think youā€™re right - but Francis is the key.

He has a physicality (and a level of talent) well beyond Stewart.

Hooker-Hurley-Ambrose are a formidable defensive tall trio.

Up forward we would go Daniher CHF, Francis FF and then decide on Stewart/Bellchambers/McKernan as the 3rd tall forward and relief ruck - which Stewart was dismal at during the LT. If Bellchambers can re-discover his fitness & form of 2013 in that role we are set.

But for me for that to all work it hinges on Francis getting super-fit and ripping apart a VFL game up forward thus demanding selection.

1 Like

Thou shall not triple team JD. This is is my rule unto thee.

The reverend hooker. Maybe some churches wonā€™t die.